The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

When you get 30 min..... Move over Joe, this guy is my new hero!

Cman68 likes this.
  2. stinkyB

Actually paddled around at sunrise... got 2 trout (1st one was a 21" on a mirro-lure "top dog jr" topwater plug :)).... got some exercise and dinner and was back home for work by 9:30

3. stinkyB

Trolled offshore on saturday.... got a few dolphin, including a 30#er.... bottom fished briefly and we got 8 vermillion snappers and 2 triggers. Slow but steady action all day... missed 2 shots at sails, and had our baits picked at by small tunas/mahi throughout the day. Had the cedar plug get SMOKED, and unfortunately bit off, so I'm assuming it was a wahoo.

Cman68 likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We're still under quarantine up here so... I'll have to fish vicariously thru you... :)

stinkyB likes this.
  5. stinkyB

Unforunately it wont surprise me if we get shutdown soon..... (in time for prime season ) but in the meantime, I'll to catch enough to spread around ;)

Cman68 likes this.
  6. Cman68

So far I've tied enough rigs and hooks to last until 2022. Been tying lead to the rods just to get the feel of them again. Got two new rods to break in. One spinner, one conventional heavy (50-100lb braid). Good thing I scheduled my offshore trips for late Aug, early Dec.

stinkyB likes this.
  7. stinkyB

NICE. What'd you get? (and what did it replace? you always buy some gucci shit ;))

I got a Quantum Boca50 that I still need to get a rod for... (but dont really want to go out "shopping")

Cman68 likes this.
  8. Cman68

Ok you got me... Pleading guilty on the Gucci shit in advance! :)

*- Diawa Proteus WN 7'-6" Heavy conventional (50-100lb braid) rod. Paired with an AVET JX-6.0 2-speed Raptor (Black). Handles 16oz lead easily but feels strong enough for deep drop Golden Tile. Probably will take 2-4lbs of lead but at that depth/weight, I would be using my electric anyway. :)

*- Custom Medium Heavy 7'-6" Spinning Rod. Paired with a Shimano Stella 6000SW. 16oz lead about maximum.

I have a third rod/reel combo that won a medium sized ($300) pool last year on my Block Is. Cod/SeaBass trip. Custom Heavy conventional paired with an AVET-JX 6.0 single speed (Royal Blue). 160z lead max.

Sent my entire Shakespeare Ugly Stick collection to a buddy of mine down in Tampa, FL. Sent a Penn Legion down there too. Needed to make space. :)

I am thinking about selling my Shimano Terez 7ft. M and MH Spinning rods.

Yeah, I spoil myself a lot! :)

#1348 Cman68, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  9. stinkyB

DAMN son..... that stella would buy me 3 reels. ;) but I did see those Stella's and Proteus on sale from Tackledirect so I'm assuming thats where theyre from (I considered a proteus to use for slow-pitch jigging but I passed. (may wait for a saltist 35 of Fathom 25N). Now way I was buying a $700 spinning reel... but if you got it.

My buddy has one of those Avets. it's his prize toy (bottom fishing is his thing). He's whipped some nice mutton snappers with it

I could be interested in a Terez (was gonna get another Talavera but....) if it sizes up (how much?)

I used to use Ugly Stiks back in the day. (on a budget in my 20s) Good for the $ but.... now just have one for soakin bait in the surf.... they used to make some decent bigger rods (The "custom" series), but not anymore

#1349 stinkyB, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  10. Cman68

The Terez's are both like new. Used the Medium sparingly for Fluke and Porgy. MH was for bluefish but I just wound up using it for SeaBass. They're both spinners and in pristine condition. New cost: $279.99.. Your cost: $200. I have shipping tubes.

I really LOVE the AVET's. Actually learned how to use a conventional reel that wasn't a level wind. Great drag too. Won me some cash and if they ever lift this quarantine, I think I'll be in the money again this year.

stinkyB likes this.
  11. stinkyB

Thanks boss, but I'm gonna pass on the rod...

yeah, Last Levelwind I bought were the penn 320GTs (last run when they were made in the usa...I guess theyre ok for just for bottom fishing but....level winds are just something else to break ;) (especially trolling if a fish starts running with drag. They were solid lil reels, so I use those for kayak fishing now, so I can have a hand free. My go-to bottom reel now is a US113N senator..... lighter and smoother than the old 113H but more power. Still want to get something a lil smaller to use as a slow-pitch jigging setup*

Which should be your next toy, but actually that daiwa would prob work well for that too..... get some flutter / butterfly jigs and go to town. Unfortunately I seem to lose too many to sharp toothed fish (Kings and Cudas... then it gets expensive :(

Cman68 likes this.
  12. Cman68

I got a Daiwa Lexa 400 I could pair with that Proteus. I know where to order the butterfly jigs from too. I like TD because I get points towards a future purchase. This quarantine has pretty much eliminated Blackfish season as it's over until the fall at the end of April. Once we get into May, now it becomes painful. Might have to change my Memorial Day Week vacation plans.

I could go $175 on the Terez because we're buds..

13. stinkyB

Sounds fair. I'll give it a thought. I have a $100 gift card to Strike Zone in JAX.... may have to poke around there first though ;)

14. stinkyB

"May is unquestionably the best month for all around blue water fishing in NE FL. You name it and it is available. Dolphin season usually peaks around the full moon in May. We look for temperature breaks or anything floating with Sargasso weed in a current edge being the most productive. I like to pull medium ballyhoo rigged on 125# monofilament. You can pull them behind a sea witch or any small lure head. Mahi are not picky and will eat just about anything. If there are not any current edges, then work structure. I have had some big days on Mahi open water trolling. Tuna, Wahoo, Sailfish and Blue Marlin will be in the same area. Find water 75 + degrees and you should be in business.
    If trolling isn’t your thing May is also the best month for Large Gag Grouper. These fish are coming off their winter spawn and are Hangry (Hungry and Angry). This isn’t a task for the weak or timid. Full contact fishing. We use 100-125# leader rigged on a stout rod usually paired with a Penn senator 6/0 114H.The key to success is to get the fish coming to you before he realizes he is hooked. This is easier said than done. I tell people to reel like there is a million-dollar bill on the end of the line. I like 140 to 160 ft this time of year for grouper.
    There will be plenty of Fat vermilion snapper, triggerfish and Red Porgy if you prefer not to get beat up by your dinner. The traditional double hook rig baited with squid or cut bait will get plenty of bites along the shelf edge.
    Whatever you’re after its available in May.

-Captain Robert Johnson
    JodieLynnCharters

Cman68 likes this.
  15. stinkyB

May is an awesome month for fishing in Northeast Florida. The inshore fish (redfish, trout, flounder, drum, bluefish, ladyfish, jacks, etc.) will be on the feed with the influx of baitfish (finger mullet and pogies). With warming air and water temps the nearshore fishing should be firing up as well with huge jacks, cobia, and maybe even a tarpon or two... all waiting to put up that fight of a lifetime.

Inshore the redfish will be crushing the finger mullet and that means a top-water plug, especially at first and last light, will be the go-to lure of choice. Look for large concentrations of mullet and toss your plugs around them. There's sure to be a redfish lurking around looking for an easy snack. Once the sun gets higher in the sky I like to switch to a search bait this time of year. The water will become fairly murky and a lure that makes some noise will be a good way to get the redfish's attention. Some of my favorites are spoons, twitchbaits, and one of my favorites, the spinner bait. My clients and I have caught a ton of big redfish on spinner baits. You can pair them up with a scented soft plastic like a Fishbites paddle tail for a deadly combination. Of course a popping cork with a shrimp or mud minnow will catch its fair share of reds this month as well.

May has always been a “gator” trout month for me. A top-water plug will account for some of the bigger trout catches this month. The outgoing tide along the ICW banks should be loaded with trout, especially if the baitfish are around. Once the day heats up a bit I like to fish a 1/4-ounce jighead paired with a Bass Assassin soft plastic paddle tail for the trout. Use a twitch, twitch, pause method and most of the time they'll hit it on the pause. A free-lined live shrimp with a small pinch weight a few inches above it is a great was to catch some trout too.

The inlets will come alive with all kinds of fast hitting fish this month. Look for jacks, blues, ladyfish, and spanish macs to be on the feed around all the area inlets. Crankbaits, spoons, and just about anything that's moving fast through the water will catch these fish.

The flounder bite has been consistent all year and will be a good bet this month. Some of the bigger springtime flatties will start to show in the inlets. Use a finger mullet or big mud minnow pinned to a jighead or fish-finder rig. Bounce the minnow (or mullet) along the rocks at the area inlets to find some of the big "doormats".

Capt. Tommy Derringer
    www.InshoreAdventures.net"

16. Cman68

Got my boat out of storage trying to get on the back end of spawn. Of course, Mother Nature decided it was time to water the plants so it has rained damn near every day. If we were in a more southern latitude, I would call this the monsoon season. Well, at some point the sun will shine again and they're letting folks put their boats in at lakes so, until Jersey opens up again, I'll be doing my sweetwater thing. Not sure if the bait shops are open or not but push come to shove, I'll just get some bloodworms from Walmart and put them on a jig to see what will hit it.

17. stinkyB

artificials son....

Cman68 likes this.
  18. Cman68

Yep.. jigs, grubs and crankies..

19. stinkyB

After a cup of coffee sunday morning, I decided yardwork could wait.... threw the yak in the truck and headed for some skinny water. LOTS of bait and kinda dirty water (hard west winds the day before and low tide) made it tough... lots of fish but they werent really interested in plastic. Kept 2 small flounder... lost two NICE ones :(.... water got nice after the incoming, but I was hungry by that point.... worked on the yard the rest of the day........ ate flounder for dinner last night at least .... glad theyre showing up. (spring's our real window to get them here in any numbers)

20. stinkyB

Went offshore saturday..... Trolled 60+ miles offshore all day and it was slow.... got a few blackfin tunas (one nice one) and a few dumb fish (cudas, bonita, mini-mahis)

I was pissed that they didnt want to bottom fish... but I pushed the issue. Stopped at a spot on the way in and i pulled out the spinner and a darter jig, and got a few almaco jacks and snapper. Buddy lost a nice cobia :(... another swam up with one of the jacks, so close we couldve free-gaffed it but my buddy and I were both doubled over fighting fish.

left the dock at 6am.... got in my truck to come home at 8:30 that night

Cman68 likes this.