The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I had no idea that yellowtail ate shrimp... any idea what the other fish in belly is?

Do you guys go hamachi with it or grill it up?

2. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

The other fish I thought was a Monchong, aka Moon Fish, but they don't typically have those spiny fins.

For me, the preferred way to eat Yellowfin is raw with crushed Kukui nut and Alae'a, red Hawaiian sea salt. Or sashimi style with wasabi and ponzu, or Chinese style hot mustard. Or seared with furikake.

Hamachi Kama is a must.

Close up

[​IMG]

#62 HAYN, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
  3. Barry the Baptist

That's some good eatin right there. I always thought moonfish (opa) was bigger than that too. Pretty crazy that bastard just swallowed that poor sob whole. Now I like moonfish, that's also good eatin. Hamachi is such good clean eatin too.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

phuck yeah, that's a stud ahi........ awesome. you guys freediving or use tanks?

The the one thing I regret about North FL, is the water clarity, and how far off deep water is. you need a boat to do any sort of diving as nearshore water always has some sediment even on clear days due to all the marsh inlets.
    we have to go to the other side of the gulfstream for yellow fin 60 miles.

looks delicious, I bet the family is stoked...... :beer:
    The Mahi run is on for us, but I had to pass on a trip two weeks ago as my knee wasn't ready to bounce around a center console all day.

Murrell2878, haven't tried out the yak yet, but the knee's getting better, and there's an early morning high tide next sunday, so hopefully I'll get to test it out on some back water creeks / flats in search of redfish, trout and flounder. Visibility is really poor as we've had a TON of rain lately.... flooding two weeks ago....and MEGA mosquitoes

5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

holy crap - nice autopsy

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Apparently, a new body of Stripers have come into range off the Jersey shore. They appear to be LARGE and that's all good..

Taken from today's Miss Belmar fishing report:

Looks like we're back in business! I'm on the water this weekend most likely Sunday as the seas are forecast to be 4-7' on Saturday but only 2-4' on Sunday.

Tight Lines Everybody!

7. Cman68

Apparently, a new body of Stripers have come into range off the Jersey shore. They appear to be LARGE and that's all good.. :beer:

Taken from today's Miss Belmar fishing report:

Looks like we're back in business! I'm on the water this weekend most likely Sunday as the seas are forecast to be 4-7' on Saturday but only 2-4' on Sunday.

Tight Lines Everybody!

8. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Haven't come close to throwing a line yet this year.

But I heard about this last year - massive fishkills happening off the North Carolina coast, where these fish winter in huge numbers. Commercial trawlers pulling in fish over their limits and dumping the overage to avoid fines. An article and video. This was all taking place in January 2011 (and hopefully stopped), prior to the spawn and trip north, so it wouldn't be at all surprising if are numbers lagging. An old charter guy I know talked about one enormous, illegal commercial kill during the spawn in Chesapeake in the early 1970s that wiped out bass stocks for the next 20 years. I don't know if that's true or not. I Googled the hell out of it to see if I could find some mention of it. Nothing. Maybe it never happened. But I DO know that these dead fish in this video would be spawning a couple months after this video and the traveling north for Cman to lose just before landing because his knots suck. Heh.

[YOUTUBE]VGnqSD9V8Pg[/YOUTUBE]

9. Cman68

That vid is really disturbing Jack. No wonder there's a 2-fish limit on Stripers. Oh btw, I tie the immortal overhand granny knot. So there....

10. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Taking my first trip either Saturday June 1st or Sunday June 2nd. I usually start off with Highlands fishing then Seabass off of LI. Probably will do the same this year. I want some Monster Fluke!

11. Cman68

SeaBass are hot right now. I'm going out on Monday because the seas today and tomorrow are too high and the gale force winds are nothing to mess with. I'll be on the Ocean Explorer out of Belmar on Monday AM. targeting Seabass. Any big Fluke I hit will definitely be coming home with me as well. I might just bring some squid along just in case the Fluke get hungry. Funny, but most of the Belmar boats make the run up to the Highlands to the clam beds for Striper and Fluke.

I'm on vacation this week and I plan to make another Belmar run either Wednesday or Thursday.

Tight Lines!

#71 Cman68, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
  12. Cman68

Pics from Today's trip. Unfortunately, Mrs. Cman didn't do too well today as she was plagued by shorts all day long. Great day to be on the water! Flat seas and hungry fish usually makes for a great time. The boat was packed with folks but fortunately, everyone knew what they were doing and so, tangles were kept to a minimum. Lots of Dogfish (Sand Sharks) were caught and released. I can't vouch for the Striper/Bluefish boats but I can say that the Ocean Explorer took its share of Sea Bass today. Pool winner was a 7lb fish and the Pool was worth over $300.00

Tight lines Everybody!

[​IMG]

Oh, and a shout out to the 3 Jersey shore ladies that strolled by the dock when we came in today... Very nice!

13. stinkyB

7lbs is a big seabass!

14. Barry the Baptist

One of those fish is not like the others...

15. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

If you don't hit me up, i'm gonna be pissed!

I say mini gtg!!

16. Cman68

You have keen eyes. One of those fish is a Ling. :beer:

17. stinkyB

as in cod? seems small.......

anyway, took the 'yak out the other night. lowtide, setting sun, figured it would be a good time as any to toss a topwater plug (Mirrolure "top dog"). Lower hookup ratio, but the most exciting way to fish, imo as you attract the most eager / aggressive fish

Had a nice redfish come up and smash it, but miss the hooks (the position of their mouths are not conducive for topwater strikes) other than that just a ladyfish.

I'm going to enjoy this kayak though..... fishing + excercise, + no motor maintenance & gas $. need to get some scupper plugs though

18. Cman68

Andrea fcked up the weekend's fishing although I know my group is going out tomorrow. I wish them luck as I think they're Sea Bassin. I'm going next weekend for either the small snapper blues (which taste much much better than their big bros), or Fluke.

Tight Lines!

19. stinkyB

here too. My buddy who runs private inshore charters struck out bad with his clients the other day. Water was real dirty from all the rain runoff......... regardless, I already loaded the yak in the truck and plan on hitting the early morning high tide on the flats. Hopefully the new moon has em chewin.

20. Barry the Baptist

Dam Stink, too bad you're in TebowTown or you'd be great to add to our fishing adventure. Right now just Cman, myself and Mini Barry. I know Mrs C likes to fish so maybe she'll be joining as well.