The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Ha, I came here to mention kayak fishing, as I'm interested in getting one (been looking on CL, someone beat me to a nice Wilderness Tarpon 120 the other day) for backwater / shallow flats fishing....... but those videos are SICK. yeeew!

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Saturday, my fishing season begins! Going out for Striper and I'm hoping that the water temps get near or above 50* and stays there for several days. The fish are in shallow waters off the beach and the surf guys are getting the action. If I get lucky, I'll post a pic or two as I do have my bonus tag already.

Fish On!

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

good luck cman. i have 12 hours of streams under me already without a bite.this has been a cold april and the fish are still sluggish.

the stripers are starting to show in the hudson though. i am hearing the 5-7lb' er have been getting caught pretty regularly. the big ones will be right behind

4. Cman68

Fla, the water is still pretty cold inshore. We went out today and the weather couldn't have been better. The current was brutal. I had started out with 8oz weight and couldn't get to the bottom which was about 30'. Went to 13oz and still couldn't hold bottom. The stripers were out there but few were caught. Money fish was 20#. The Miss Belmar gave everybody $8.00 off the next trip. Nice way to make things right considering the boat fare is $60. All in all, still several weeks early for Stripers. Bunker baitfish still are way south of central NJ. My next trip will be around Memorial Day.

Fish on!

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Never really been surf fishing but I hear there is a spot in Point Pleasant where the ocean meets the inlet that has some incredible fishing. It could be on private property so you might need to do so off the rocks.

Edit:

Here ya go...

The Surf - All along the coastline, many anglers come to fish for Bluefish, Striped Bass, Fluke, Weakfish, and a variety of other species. At the northern end of town, where the inlet meets the Atlantic is an area known as "The Pocket." This area is a part of a private beach (west of the high tide line.) Entrance is typically permitted by the owner except during hours that the beach is open and guarded (Day- Memorial Day to Labor Day.) Head south and you will find "The Pier." The lights from the establishment can attract fish to shoreline here. Continue south and you will find another access point right across from the Dunes Motel. The entrance is marked by a small blue sign (easily overlooked) between the newer homes built on what was Paradise Beach. This area is free and is public access east of the high water line.

6. grumpynyjetsfaninME

Caught 4 large mouth bass today.. havent been fishing in 7 years. Forgot how much them little guys like to fight.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

just picked up one of these from someone off CL...... used only a few times w/ paddle, anchor, seat and life vest. $400. stoked.

[​IMG]

my 1st kayak.....

can't wait for the knee to get better (had surgery last week). I'm amped to fish again. Redfish beware :)

#47 stinkyB, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  8. Barry the Baptist

I booked my tickets back to Jersey for July/August. I'll be back there a week. So the question is who is up for a deep sea fishing get together?

9. Cman68

You know I'm in Barry. :up:

10. Barry the Baptist

I'm gonna consider bringing my 5 year old so fishing for blues might be a little tough for him but he could probably handle fluke as they don't put up as much as a fight. I just see him dropping the rod into the ocean with the fish still attached to it :rofl: I'll probably take him to the inlet to get some practice before we go out on the boat. We've got some time to reserach it and maybe as we get closer can even see if anybody else on board is interested. I'm close to Point, Belmar or Brielle so can get to any rather quickly.

How are the stripers biting? Ever go for weakies? I've never done it but I hear they taste pretty good.

11. Cman68

Heck, we could do SeaBass as well and I love the taste of Seabass better than fluke. If you're bringing lil bit with ya, I agree we should do some low intensity inshore fishin. That way, we can bring home some tasty fish for dinner and your son will have a great experience. When you get your week nailed down, let me know. I got 6 days vacation I haven't scheduled yet.

The water has finally warmed up and the bunker are offshore now. The Stripers have finally turned on so next weekend, we're gonna hit them again. I think this time though, I think we'll go off the Jamaica instead of the Miss Belmar. Weakfish are almost as rare as Whiting these days with a daily bag limit of one weakfish I think. Just not worth the expense. Without the bonus tag, 2 fish limit on Striper. With the bonus tag, 3 fish per trip. Fluke are still at 17.5" keeper size and in NY, its up to 21". That's why so many NYker's come down to Belmar or the Highlands and get on those head boats.

#51 Cman68, May 4, 2013
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
  12. Barry the Baptist

Looks like The Gambler has gone through quite an upgrade... wow if I was gonna for night blues this would def be the way to go.

http://www.gamblerfishing.net/about.html

If you look in the pictures looks like one of the kids caught himself a blackfish. Don't see those very often.

13. Cman68

Definitely upgraded. Looks clean, bright and with a hot food galley, worth a trip. I'll get that done before you get here and give you my report on it. blackfish season just ended and NJ is fudging the date on Seabass. I'll keep ya posted.

14. Cman68

This has been the worst spring for fishing I can remember in a long, long time. The Stripers were out there, but just not biting anything. Most of the boats were giving away discounts like candy and that had to hurt. Today starts Fluke season and tomorrow, SeaBass. I'm thinking next Sunday will be my first Seabass/fluke trip of the year. Hopefully, we can get some decent weather between now and then. Most boats at Belmar are switching from Stripers to Blues as the choppers have moved in and the Stripers apparently are moving out.

Tight Lines!

15. Barry the Baptist

Dam... that sucks. I hate to see the business taking a hit. I seriously have to wonder if Sandy did things underwater that maybe hurt the breeding grounds or some of the wrecks? I know you said the water has been cold too so maybe that also plays into it, actually probably pretty largely.

16. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Nice!! I definitely want one of these!!!

17. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Recent diving trip off Kona with my cousin. He speared this 188 lb. Yellowfin

[​IMG]

Inside the belly [​IMG]

18. Cman68

Nice Day's work! How do you guys say it? Luau anyone? :beer:

19. Cman68

You may be on to something. Everyone agrees that the fishing has been off since Sandy hit. Seeing that many fish and a rare bite certainly raises a lot of questions. They're not even hitting bunker that much except the blues but hell, they'll hit a tin can. I know the boats are glad that Fluke and Seabass seasons are beginning. I've seen a few fluke come over the rail already so it might be a banner year for them.

20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Nicely done! Puts my one and a half pound bass to shame