The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Barcs

Barcs Banned

This kind of stuff really urks me. It's been slowly raising over the years. They are allegedly trying to save the fish, but the commercial fisherman don't have nearly as strict regulations and are the real problem, especially those stupid net draggers.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I don't know why they just don't close the season for several years and pick up in say, 2016. That way, you don't have folks putting pressure on what we're led to believe is a distressed fishery. As far as I'm concerned, I don't see more than perhaps 1 fluke trip this year. I'll be concentrating on other bottom dwellers that taste pretty good like say, SeaBass, Porgy, Stripers, LingCod, Snapper Blues, etc.. Shame too because my favorite headboat out of Belmar concentrates on Fluke for the summer. Now I'm gonna have to find another favorite headboat too.

F'n shame is what it is..

3. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Thanks it's great dude. We have so much of that stuff out here. I like it raw (lol), but grilling it over mesquite gives it a nice char, but still soft on the inside.

4. Cman68

East Coast water temps still in high 30's. Fishing is slow at best from all reports. Only one boat sailing from Belmar, 1 from Pt. Pleasant and 2 from Brielle. Very slow start to the 2014 season. I'm looking at April depending on water temps and the reports.

5. Cman68

OK... Now that it's stopped snowing (no thanks to Jaywayne) I've put together a tentative start date for my 2014 Fishing season. First trip - April 5th for Blackfish (Tautog) on the Gambler out of Pt. Pleasant, NJ. Hopefully, the inshore waters have warmed from the 35-37deg it is today. Got a new pair of deck boots and two new heavier weight rigs to try out. Rods have a line rating of 50-100lbs and the Reels pack a 25lb drag. I've loaded 50# braid on both Rods and even wifey is coming out loaded for bear this year with a brand new Goretex Weatherproof outfit. This will be a first for me as I'll be using a baitcaster in Saltwater for the first time this year! I also will bring along my heavy weight spinner as well.
    For Tautog (blackfish), this is the rig I have in mind to use. 50# braid on 50# floro leader. Gamakatsu 3/0 offset circle hooks sunk with a 8-10oz bank sinker depending on the current. When Seabass opens up again, I'll go back to my spinner ways using 30# braid on 30# floro leader with the same Gamakatsu's 3/0's.
    If any of you old pros out there see a problem with this, speak up. Fishing season is right around the corner and this year, I'm gonna be ready to wear them out and win a few pools along the way!
    Here's to 2014!

"Fish On!!"

6. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Got lucky and stoned a 40# Ulua. Also an 'Uku and some taco. Gotta love fresh ocean to table grinds!

[​IMG]

Smoked some of the Ulua

[​IMG]

Baked 'Uku

[​IMG]

Taco Poke

[​IMG]

talisaynon likes this.
  7. Cman68

That REALLY LOOKS GOOD! :D

8. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Active Member

Nice to see you in another thread besides Jay's house of horrors, LOL. Have you tried the blackfish jigs? I have, but didn't have enough to choose from and the current was too much for the little one I had. I know guys who swear by 'em, but I haven't done enough.

9. Cman68

FM, I didn't know there was any such things as Tog Jigs but if they can be found, you better believe I'll find them. The Gambler is only doing Canyon Trips on weekends so I'll have to find another boat. I'm just hoping we can get a stretch of 70deg days so we can get that water warmed up into the 40's at least.

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

So how much snow are we getting this weekend ? Oops wrong thread,,,,,,,lol.....looks good Cman let's eat !

11. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Active Member

Unfortunately I'm in NY where togs in the Spring have been eliminated. I'll have to come to NJ if I want any blackfish before Sept

12. Cman68

We got a really tight window in April for Togs so that's why I'm hoping for a warm up real soon. Bring them a bit more inshore so I don't have to drag em up from 100-200ft. and battle sticky bottom structure to boot. That gets really tiresome after a while..

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

yesterday morning I Originally had intentions of taking out the yak, but had too much to do to commit that time so I waded a flat for an hour for the last of outgoing tide at Matanzas Inlet....... Tossed a yozuri minnow and caught 5 bluefish around 15". Then came home a did spring cleanup yard work while swilling beer.

14. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Active Member

It does, but it also makes Blackfish one of my favorite species to target, you gotta earn them. It's not like soaking a bunker chunk and waiting for the runoff.

15. Cman68

Its f'n snowing here again. Thank God its not heavy and the air temps are really quite mild for snow. Shouldn't affect the lake temps but with this storm developing offshore, I have a funny feeling that my April 5th fishing date might be in jeopardy. Weather on that day looks great, but the water temps still need to come up from the mid 30's over the next several weeks.

16. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

The storm should stay south of us because the polar....oh wait...where am i? OK....now..do we have any fresh water guys in here? Any large mouth/small mouth guys? I will have to eventually start turning to salt water in about 4 years but fresh water is my true love for now.

Very excited about this thread!

17. Cman68

Well, I do own a 17ft deepV with a 115hp 4 stroke Merc and dual fishfinders that I've been known to use on occasion here in PA for Crappie and whatever else hits my hooks. :)

My wife is from Mo. and when we go back there, we fish Truman Res. for Crappie. Because we're always around laydowns and stumps, we always hit a few bass. Last time we went I hit a LM on a 1/8oz chartreuse jig which was a really nice surprise. Planning a trip in mid-July to Mizzou and my BLaw should have his bass boat ready. I'm gonna try crankbaits this year for Crappie which should produce some bass. He's a crappie fisherman and usually we wind up with one helluva fish fry by the end of the trip.

18. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

Salt water fo' life! Hahah

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

do you have a choice? lol

@jaywayne i do some freshwater fishing, usually hit the trout streams in april and than do some bass fishing late spring when they are on the beds, maybe a little late this year if we don't get some warmer days. the ponds up here are just now completely unlocked.
    trout are going to have to ait a week too since the streams are high,brown and fast. just no fun like that

20. Cman68

April 12th looking like the Opening day of Cman's 2014 fishing season. So far, inshore water temps rising to the mid 40's and hopefully, with a good week (No Snow), we can get those temps into the high 40's/ low 50's. Once we cross the 50deg threshold, it's fishing season.

I'll be targeting Blackfish, Cod, Pollack or Ling. All deep water bottom fish so I'll be rolling heavy on the tackle.

I'll report when I have something.

C