The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

[​IMG]

This was my not quite filled cooler as more fish came after I took the pic. Under all those snappers were 1 Queen Snapper, 1 Barrel Fish and a 15lb Golden. Fished deep water. 1000-1300ft. Not too bad with 4lb lead and E-Reels. :)

#2681 Cman68, Sep 21, 2024 at 9:27 PM
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2024 at 9:34 PM
    stinkyB likes this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

You got Vermillions (beeliners) that deep?!? We get em in 100-150' here lol

Hope those coolers got packed with ice... you're not in PA anymore ;)

btw... told you you needed a fish bag ;)

Cman68 likes this.
  3. Cman68

We got the Beeliners in 500ft. Caught so many at night that I had to put the rod down and get some sleep. Got my share of YellowEyes too. Dolphins exacted quite the toll though. Got me 4 times on some really nice hookups. Waited until I got the fish to within 50ft of the surface, then simply pulled down on the rig until the fish came off. Watched my rod bend almost into a U shape which was the telltale sign the Taxman got me. They have to eat too I guess so I didn't get TOO angry with them.

Cost $150 get the cooler cleaned and bagged. Got them in the cooler, then stopped by a PUBLIX for some ice. Got 16lbs of regular ice and 1lb of dry ice there. Kept the fish cool until I got back to Virginia. Stopped at a WaWa and got 7 more 7lb bags of ice for the drive home. I had so much fish in that cooler I needed help getting it back to my truck and loaded. The Queens, Bluelines, Goldens and Barrelfish were in 1000ft +. Lots of black belly Rosies too. Could have used that fish bag too although I would have needed the one with wheels. Most coolers were filled to the brim with fish.

Next year? Probably the Dry Tortugas run as I missed out on all the snowy Groupers that came over the rail. Actual rail time: 2 days as the American Patriot can only enter and leave the Marina during high tide. The other 2 days was for loading gear, unloading and sorting fish onshore not to mention 12hrs. one way to the fishing grounds.

My new garage freezer is full to the top with filets. The size of some of the pool contenders were just huge. I used 40lb backing, 80lb shock leader and 80lb rigged with 7/0 circle hooks. Put my Seaborg 800mj to the test too. Passed with flying colors until one of the mates cut my line by mistake and I didn't have enough braid left on the reel to be functional. Good thing I bought a backup Shimano Beastmaster 9000B filled with 40lb braid.

Great trip overall man! Another item off the bucketlist. Perhaps if the AP has an opening next year, I would do a second Pulley Ridge trip. I would bring a lot less gear though. They's booked until Sept-Dec '25.

#2683 Cman68, Sep 24, 2024 at 4:06 PM
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2024 at 5:11 PM
    stinkyB likes this.
  4. stinkyB

So they vacuum bagged em for you?

anyone jig up any Blackfins? they're probably still to far north

#2684 stinkyB, Sep 26, 2024 at 9:02 AM
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2024 at 9:11 AM
  5. Cman68

Nah, Zip lock bagged. I vacuumed them once I got back to the ranch. Really iced them down before I left FL and again when I got to VA.

One Blackfin and a Mahi did come up. A Gag Grouper also came up but he had to go back. Blackfin hit a 800g SPJ jig. Mahi hit a bucktail. They served up the Blackfin as sashimi. Monster Queens and Barrelfish too.

Quick question.. Looking at Oct. '25 for a Howell's Hook 4 day trip. What does it look like down there in Oct? Was told it was okay minus the storms.

#2685 Cman68, Sep 26, 2024 at 9:38 AM
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2024 at 9:45 AM
    stinkyB likes this.
  6. stinkyB

cool. I got a blackfin on my SPJ rod once.
    I'm not as familiar with down there (but I know it's a ALOT calmer ocean than here)
    October is a crapshoot especially here.... weather can be really nice, but fall ocean starts to wake up. And with all the crazy climate changes it seems that everything is pushed back a month later than usual. One thing for sure, it's better than November, which for us is probably the windiest month of the year.

Speaking of October, I'm hoping for at least another shot of a flat ocean off LI to give me another shot at tuna before it gets cold...

Cman68 likes this.
  7. Cman68

Head boats are still hunting them between storms up here. Seems folks are hooking up too. Thanks for the info on Oct. I might go on and book either for Pulley or Howell's Hook in Oct. Love the fishing down there in the Gulf. I'm a convert!

8. stinkyB

Sending my brother a box with some shimano Orcas and a Rapala X-rap magnum X-Plode for his B-day.... hopefully they get used (and bloodied) before next summer. (was originally saving them for X-mas, but he's fired up after getting that yellowfin .... but maybe I'll get a chance to toss them too. ;)