The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I was thinking about taking 50yds off and using some heavy Flourocarbon (60#) topshot. That Ocea Jigger 4000 is a big assed jigging reel too. Could have went 800yds. Easily 800yds with 30# or lower..

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

My point was that you're never gonna need that much line jigging, and braid is ALOT more $ than mono ;)

If you plan on jigging Tunas with that thing, you dont want 30#

3. Cman68

Got it.. I got 40# on that rig at the moment. 60# mono topshot and 60# flourocarbon leader. Topshot +Flouro = 100yds. Hopefully that's good.

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Last time I was in Japan I was walking along the pier in Yokohama and came across a guy who caught one of these, he wasn't quite sure what to do with it as I'm not sure people eat them but he was treating it rather poorly. Kind of pissed me off to be honest.

[​IMG]

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Looks like a fish that made a wrong turn. Google says it's a blackmouth catshark or an abyssal shark. Both are found in the northeast Atlantic, both deepwater fish (or two names for the same fish) that don't belong under a pier, especially in Japan.

6. Barry the Baptist

Same family, wrong picture. When I googled Cloudy Cat Shark this is what came up

7. Cman68

Perhaps its a nuisance fish like our Dog fish are here in the States. I hate them but I also hate how fishermen abuse them before tossing them overboard.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Eyes that size are likely deep water.

9. Barry the Baptist

Yeah I think a nuisance is pretty accurate but there are some great places to fish in Tokyo Bay, some great things to catch too, I've heard of people catching tuna in the bay

Tokyo Bay does get pretty deep but this part of the bay is pretty shallow, that being said it's really close to the spot where Commodore Perry signed treaties with Japan establishing trade. Probably about a 3-4 minute walk from where I was.

Contrary to popular belief he didn't come ashore in Tokyo, he entered Tokyo Bay and tried to land in Yokohama but was resisted, he obviously was having none of it and eventually an agreement was reached where he could come ashore in Yokosuka which ironically is home to the US 7th fleet today. There is even a park which I have not been to where he came ashore for the first time.

You'd have to imagine the water gets pretty deep if the US can have carriers and others Naval vessels traveling through. If I can figure how to post personal pics on here I can post some of the base.

Br4d and Cman68 like this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What I saw says they're bottom dwellers but right from the shore down to around 1000 feet. Looking for water around 55 degrees fahrenheit.

11. Cman68

Headed out on Saturday for Blackfish and/or Cod. Either the Capt. Cal II or The Dauntless out of Pt. Pleasant, NJ. First trip of the season and I am amp'd!! Going lite tackle for the Taug and bringing an SPJ rod for the Cod.

#2251 Cman68, Apr 5, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
  12. Barry the Baptist

Last time I was home went out on the Dauntless with one of my old high school buddies and the high school tennis team he coaches. Let's just say the effort to catch fluke that day was daunting

I'm hoping when we move back to Japan in a few years I can get a job working on a boat, need to improve my Japanese and I don't want to be out for days so oyster farmer is a distinct possibility but my wife warned me. She said Japanese already don't want to sit next to gaijin on the train, smelling like fish guarantees she won't want to sleep next to me :cool:

Is this guy not living the life?

Cman68 likes this.
  13. Cman68

Believe me, my preferred boat is sold out on Saturday. The Dauntless is always packed which wouldn't be so bad but waay too many googans can ruin a trip in short order.

Barry the Baptist likes this.
  14. stinkyB

Well.... been in the process of tuning up the maintenance on the boat (should've done this in february buy...)

I got an hour to kill.... new thermostat's been sitting in a box. Go to Jiffy to get a couple of tall boys for the job.....

WELL.... a sheared off bolt into the Block is going to make this WAAAAY more complicated than the 30 bucks for a new thermostat :mad::mad::mad:

15. Cman68

South Chatham Tackle's electric winder should be in every fisherman's garage. Easy to use with professional results. Spinners, Baitcasters, Conventional, Fly, it does them all. I am absolutely loving this. Even did my sweetwater reels with 6lb Sufix mono. Getting my boat out of storage on Saturday so I can start invading the local lake here. Can't fish the Susquehanna mainly because of the pollution and radioactivity from the now defunct 3 mile island Nuke plant.

16. Barry the Baptist

Makes me wonder if they'll have issues around the old Oyster Creek plant that closed a while ago. I never really thought much about it growing up but man I really did close to that place.

17. Cman68

Well, out here the river is lined for miles with farmland. All the runoff from those farms winds up in the river and after decades, is now deep in the sediment. Its for that reason the PA DNR will not ever dredge the river bottom. They have no idea what will get stirred up so better to leave things the way they are.

The 3mile island plant which was dead center of the Susquehanna and they advise eating perhaps one fish per month out of there. The last time I put my boat in the river, I had a dirt ring around it when I pulled it out. I did catch a flathead but the worms were on the outside burrowing in. Needless to say, that was the end for me and fishing the Susquehanna.

Barry the Baptist likes this.
  18. stinkyB

@Cman65
    Just seeing if you're liquidating any offshore gear.....

19. Cman68

Thinking bout it. Got too many duplicates.

20. stinkyB

Ha... I knew it. Trying to get my brother in NY outfitted. Figured I'd ask.
    Already scored him a Seigler LG for jiggin tunas... things a lil beast (price was good, so if he didnt want it, I would just keep it ;))