The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

the upcoming coldwater pushes the fish out of range of my lil boat (aside from inshore fishing, which can be super fun in the winter when weather cooperates) but for bigger boats offshore fishing actually gets better in winter for alot of species as it congregates the fish to more defined areas, but grouper closes 12/31 until June 1. Wahoo trolling is the prime target in winter but that gets expensive (ga$)

Cman68 likes this.
  2. stinkyB

@Cman65
    you have any experience with the Jigging World rods? I know theyre up by you.... my new reel should arrive next week and debating on another rod. They have one that the specs seem great for the price, but ordering a rod without holding it in your hand is alot different than a reel ;)

I was debating on an Oceans Legacy Element or Temple Reef Elevate, but for 150 this thing seems sweet:
    https://www.tackleworld.com/collect...igging-world-luminous-slow-pitch-casting-rods

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I have a Jigging World Nexus that I use with a Penn Slammer IV 3500 reel. Great rod, especially for the price.

Cman68 and stinkyB like this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

For the price, you're getting an excellent product. They have the entire range from SPJ to Offshore heavy. Quick shipping and not very expensive. It used to be a flat $25 but that probably went up in price with inflation. If you're looking for a bottomfishing rod, I would go with the Jigging World Night Ranger. I bought a NR Blank from them and had my guy customize it spiral wrap, etc. Undefeated so far and several pools wins to its credit too. SPJ? go with the NEXUS like Bick said. Inshore? Black Demon. I have the BD and its one helluva Blackfish rod which probably would be fine for the Grouper/Snappers down your way. Same for the Night Ranger.

#2164 Cman68, Jan 6, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    stinkyB likes this.
  5. stinkyB

Thanks... I'm good on the bottom bait rods, considering upgrading the SPJ rod when my new reel comes next week (will give it a go on the rod I have first, which has been great, just considering something for a lil heavier jigs)... price on that just seemed too good to be true. Chris at Johnny Jigs did recommend that oceans legacy rod to me last year though... hmmm...

6. Cman68

I have two Ocean Legacy SPJ rods and love them both. Mine came from NZ before JohnnyJigs was licensed to sell them stateside. (Shipping was painful)

The models I have are for "Long Fall" jigging and not standard SPJ although they can do both. Again, great product and if you're going specifically for the standard SPJ technique, OL's can accommodate whatever power and length you may need.

#2166 Cman68, Jan 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  7. stinkyB

LOL.... how many rods do you have?!?!
    Sell half that gear and buy a boat ;)

So are you giving the nod to the Legacy rod? The Slow Element isn't too pricey... 75 more than the jigging world rod. I was debating on a "long fall" rod but I''' mostly be jigging in 110-185' (occ a lil deeper but not often)

I do have a $100 gift card for Strike Zone in Jax, so I may have to cruise up there to see what they have (great store, but last time I was there, the SPJ selection was minimal to say the least... granted peak of covid "supply chain" bs, so even selection of reg stuff was lacking (I wanted a terramar SE spin rod, but left with another Star)

8. Cman68

To answer your question: Too many rods. I could sell a bunch and probably have enough cash to buy a high rate CD. :)

Yessir, you can't go wrong with the Legacy rod. BTW, Long Fall is not depth dependent. Its simply longer sweeps with the rod and letting the jig flutter further down the water column than you would with standard SPJ. Its almost like how you would jig with normal Iron. Same gear as SPJ, just a longer rod for more flutter time. Both of my OL's are 7'-3". One is rated 80-300g. That should be right in your wheelhouse. I used this as a rule of thumb: The weight of the jig should be in the middle of the range of weights the rod is weighted for. As you approach the higher end, you'll get less pitch and less flutter. 1 gram/ft. depth.

If you get an Ocean Legacy, check out the feel of the rod itself. Constructed alot differently materially speaking. Very light, very strong. You won't be sorry with a Long Fall OL in the range I suggested. 80-300ft is about your normal depth range? If so, you're good.

9. stinkyB

yeah, I understand the basic concepts... I've getting the SPJ thing dialed... to the point where my buddies (who's boat I fish on) quit giving my shit about "that stupid lil jigging rod" as I've been outfishing the guys with bait :cool:

My concern with "Longfall" is that may end up attracting the species upper in the water column that I was getting when I started using spinners (amberjacks, almacos, cudas, red snaps, etc... but triggers are often 15-20' up). For the price I've been pretty happy with the Centaur rod as an intro into SPJ; just considering one rated for a lil bigger jigs (although I rarely use them) The rod is rated for 100-200G and I mostly fish 150G, but last couple of trips I've been using 200 with success (especially helps avoid tangles with other peeps on the boat)

Cman68 likes this.
  10. Cman68

I just paid for my 3 long range trips for '23. I'm doing a 2 day Tilefish/Rosefish trip in July, a Block Is. trip early in Nov and a offshore Sea Bass trip in Mid Nov. Those late season runs are iffy as its pre-winter transitional period up here in the NE. In between, I'll be heading up to Gloucester MA. again. 200-350' and lots of Cod, Pollock, Haddock and Rosies and SPJ excels up there. Block Island is basically fishing Montauk, NY. Depths under 100ft.

You might be the first fisherman I've ever seen complain about too many fish getting hooked. :)

stinkyB likes this.
  11. stinkyB

HA.... not too many fish being hooked, just the ones that are keeping me from getting the ones I want for the fishbox ;)

Yeah, here I'd say November is probably the one month where I'd count on being shutdown, october being 2nd....

Do they do Tuna trips up there?

12. Cman68

Yep.. Starting in Aug and going into November. I might do one this year just for the experience but those trips are expensive as hell. I got the gear for it. The cash might be a problem.. :)

13. stinkyB

Pass on one of the smaller trips and try and get a tuna.... before Cman66 can't fight one ;)

Cman68 likes this.
  14. Cman68

Okay.. Just booked my first ever TUNA/MAHI TRIP!! 9/16/23 30hr run. Whew!!! :)

stinkyB likes this.
  15. stinkyB

YES! :cool:

but expect some hurricane swells on 9/16 ;)

16. Cman68

You're such a help :)... Took a look at my gear and I think I'm good. AVET JX2 Raptor, Daiwa Proteus H rated for 55-100lb braid, 60# 8 strand braid, 5/0-6/0 offset circle hooks.. Bringing a medium spinner with me for Mahi too.

I also have a Daiwa Seagate 60H with a tackle world power handle of course. Spooled with 60lb Hercules 8 strand braid on my PHENIX AXIS 7ft MH rated for 40lb mono and higher for braid. This is my reserve rod just in case things go sideways with the AVET/Daiwa combo.

Watching YouTube videos of the tuna fishing and it looks like a real fight for every crank. Kinda like Bluefishing on steroids.

#2176 Cman68, Jan 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  17. stinkyB

That Avet should be fine..... bring a couple of jigs and poppers.. I love the topwater bite :cool:

This guy on ebay always seems to have some sweet deals (I just had a box of plugs arrive at the front door ;))

https://www.ebay.com/sch/7300/i.html?_oaa=1&_dcat=7300&_fsrp=1&_ssn=simmons_sporting_goods-alabama&_ipg=240&Brand=SPRO|Williamson|Yo%2DZuri&_sacat=7300&store_name=simmonssportinggoodsofalabama&_oac=1&_sop=1

Or get a Yo-zuri "bull popper"... I have the small one and got some tunas and bonitos on li last time

18. stinkyB

My lil Seigler SGN just came.... it's a badass little reel. Can't wait to use it.
    Debating on 30 or 40lb J-braid 8x Grand

19. Cman68

Trying to get out on a Blackfish trip but waiting on a weather window. Got 4 preplanned trips scheduled for '23 including another trip to Gloucester, MA. for some deeper water SPJ action on Pollock, Haddock and Cod.

#2179 Cman68, Jan 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    stinkyB likes this.
  20. Cman68

Well, began training for the Tuna trip. Just got a fighting belt. I also joined Planet Fitness and will work back/arms and legs to build up strength and stamina. Seen plenty vids and it looks like its all about endurance and being able to crank when the fish lets you. I'll be ready by Sept.!

bicketybam likes this.