The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

no, but have heard good things about that app... particularly the radar aspect

bicketybam likes this.
  2. stinkyB

Slow your roll tiger.... I love Gradys, but that's a crazy amount of $ for a single engine boat.

besides, you'd be kinda stupid to get a brand new one for your first boat. Let someone else take the depreciation... for you to do dumb things to it (and figure out what you realy like and need)

Cman68 likes this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I moved off that pretty quickly, lol. I really don't need much for LIS and Narragansett Bay.

stinkyB and Cman68 like this.
  4. bicketybam

I'm going out again on Thursday. Driving to North Kingston on Wednesday and staying at my in-laws. We are going to go out of Wickford Harbor and head to Fox Island. That's were I have oked my first keeper sized fluke. Structure looks decent.[​IMG][​IMG]

Cman68 likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You couldn't have picked a better time to come up. Not only is baseball on fire, so is the bite! Everything is running so you should have a blast if you drop a line down!

6. stinkyB

Timing wasnt coincidence ;)

Cman68 likes this.
  7. stinkyB

Size isnt the problem.... but the price for that size ;)

But if you're really looking... 21' bay boat should cover anything you'll want to do (prob even smaller, but that has limitations... and some pluses)
    Key West, SeaPro, Tidewater, Scout, some good "Value" options.... although in the current market, "Value" and "boat" shouldnt be used in the same paragraph, let alone sentence.

or better yet, buy an older reliable hull that's been re-powered.... or with no motor and repower yourself.

#2107 stinkyB, Aug 22, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    bicketybam likes this.
  8. bicketybam

21" fluke for my FIL.[​IMG]

stinkyB and Cman68 like this.
  9. Cman68

Nice fish! I'm hearing that the Fluke bite right now is red hot..

bicketybam likes this.
  10. bicketybam

Going out next Friday. I'm feeling more confident about my fishing tactics.

Cman68 likes this.
  11. Cman68

Practice makes perfect! I can't wait for October.. That's gonna be just balls out fishing for the entire month. Everything except Fluke will be running..

bicketybam likes this.
  12. stinkyB

Well, no tunas for me.... weather shut us down the 2 open days we had. Gave it a noble effort, but 4'@4secs is just stupid for fishing offshore.
    Came inside and I took the helm (and beers) for a bit so others could fish .... put my cousin and brother on some fluke, but all around 17-18" lol

13. bicketybam

Went out last Friday with my father in law. Finally brought a cooler bag so we could keep anything that was legal. We caught 7 Fluke (summer flounder) and kept 3. Mine were 21.5 inches and 18. My father in-law's was 19.5. We cooked them up Saturday and they were delicious. All were caught in Wickford Harbor in less than 15' of water. [​IMG][​IMG]

stinkyB, Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  14. Cman68

Good job. We went Fluking yesterday but it was tough. Mostly shorts but wifey got a 20in fish. Loads of really big Sea Bass that we had to throw back. Can't wait for October..

15. bicketybam

Why did you have to throw back the Sea Bass? And congrats to the wife on the 20" Fluke

Cman68 likes this.
  16. Cman68

Season over from 9/1 until 10/7 in New Jersey.

bicketybam likes this.
  17. bicketybam

Ah. Didn't know that. That sucks.

I'm going out on that charter a week from Sunday. I'm going to miss the Browns game which kind of sucks.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. Cman68

Well, ,you can always watch it on YouTube on Monday..

19. bicketybam

No one that lives south of me will appreciate this catch but today I caught my personal best largemouth bass.

There is a reservoir a few miles from me that I either shore fish or kayak fish. I went out yesterday and caught only one small LMB. The usual size for this tiny res is about a pound. I go for the action and not for size. The best I ever caught there was about 2.5 pounds.

Today I decided to go out around noon. It was beautiful out and at the worst I was going to get some sun and enjoy the scenery. I caught 5 LMB in the first 90 min and then it went dead. I can circle the entire res in about 45 min. I figured let me make one more trip. I really wanted 6.

On the 3rd go around I decided to throw a larger crankbait. While I usually use baitcasting rod/reels, I decided to use my medium light spinning reel that I had been throwing a whacky rigged senko on. The second cast with a fast retrieve got hammered. I didn't know how big it was until I got it close to the kayak. That's when it just started peeling off line. I knew then it was something bigger than anything else I've ever caught there.

Thankfully I had set the drag kind of light because that's how I usually set it for crank baits. I got it to the side of the kayak and it just peeled off the line. At this point I knew I needed the net and decided this was the time to get it. I fought it back to the kayak and netted it.

I knew it was big by how much it weighed when I lifted it out of the water. I unhooked it as quickly as I could and took a picture. I then grabbed my fish grip/scale and weighed it. It showed 2 and change and I knew that couldn't be right. I then saw it was in metric and hit the button to imperial. 4 pounds 14 ounces. My new personal best. I got him back in the water and away he went.

40 years of freshwater fishing and today I got my best LMB ever. It's tiny compared to other parts of the country but to me it is a fucking monster! Drinks a plenty tonight![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Brook! and stinkyB like this.
  20. stinkyB

When I was a kid chasing bass in all the local canals in south FL, my dad said he would pay to get one mounted if I got one over 4lbs.... I never did :(