The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman65, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Cman65

Cman65 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We tried to warn you... :)

bicketybam likes this.
  2. Cman65

Headed out tomorrow on a 2 day trip that will probably be cut short a day. Looks like a coastal storm will be coming up from the south Tuesday PM. Best guess is we'll fish all day Monday and tuesday, head for port early to stay ahead of the weather.

bicketybam likes this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'll never stop freshwater fishing. A 5 lb largemouth fights like hell! The Housatonic River by me has 20+ pound Northern Pike. The reservoirs I fish have Walleye which is one of the best tasting freshwater fish. I'm not sure what freshwater is looked down upon.

Cman65 likes this.
  4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

A 5lb redfish makes a 5lb bass feel like a bream ;)

#2064 stinkyB, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  5. Cman65

Well, another washout for my Tilefish trip. Looks like that's it for '22 but I still have Tile vacuumed sealed in the freezer so I can live with this. Just wasn't in the cards but it does open up other inshore opportunities until the season is over.

That's the one thing about SW fishin Bickety.. You're at the mercy of the Weather more often than not.

bicketybam likes this.
  6. bicketybam

Can you tell me about Tilefish fishing. I read they are usually found in deep water. What kind of gear do you use? What bait? Do you go out on boat with other people all fishing for Tilefish? I understand they are good eating but is catching them fun? I've never heard of tilefish until I read this thread.

7. Cman65

Sure.. Be advised this style of fishing is also pretty addicting. Good thing we don't live down by Stinky!

Tilefish up in our waters live between 300-1000ft. They live in mud burrows and come out when bait drops to them. Not sure if you've ever heard of the Hudson Canyon, but it's where the Hudson river originates on the continental shelf. Roughly 80-100 miles offshore ESE of Belmar, NJ. As you can see, private boats simply don't have the range to get out there. The bigger yachts and head boats can make it there and back. 6-7hrs one way usually gets you to the spots. That's why those trips are sold as overnighters.

Gear varies but you have to keep in mind Tilefish aren't the only fish in the sea out there. You could hit almost anything so your gear had better be able to handle what might come your way. 2lb-4lb sash weights get you down to the fish. Its also dependent on the current at those depths. The heavier line "scopes" out and you will have problems even reaching bottom. Scope happens when your line is pushed by the current. You'll lay out 300m of line to reach 150-200m of depth. Your reel also has to be large and able to hold 600m or more of line. Keep in mind seawater weighs 64lbs/cu ft. At 300ft or more that's a lot of additional weight you're working against not including the weight of the fish and the sinker which brings us to.. tackle.

Conventional tackle is usually 60-80lb braid with 100lb mono leader and 7/0 to 10/0 circle hooks. Mono has too much stretch to use at these depths. The rod should be between 6-8ft and capable of handling the 4lb weight. Reels vary between Conventional and Electric. Some Capts don't allow electrics so folks use 2 speed conventional reels. Down in Fl, they use 3, 4 or even 5 hook hi/lo rigs. Kinda like jug lines for catfish except vertical. Up here, some Capts will tell you to take off the second hook as Tiles rarely come up higher than 3-5ft off the bottom. In addition, if you hook 2-30# tiles at 500-600ft, you're gonna wish you hadn't.

I use 20# braid to keep the scope to a minimum and only 30# flouro leader for my hi/lo rig. I also use electric reels even with my jig rod which I use the "long fall" jig technique. My hooks are 6/0 circles as I only use circle hooks unless I'm Porgy or Fluking. To set the hook, all you do is either reel down or raise the rod slowly and let the fish hook himself and the rod to load up. No need to rear back with a hard hookset.

The fight is a bit anti-climatic. Tiles fight for the first 100ft or so but the pressure eventually kills them on the way up so, you'll be cranking up dead weight for the last half of the retrieve. You will need to have glow beads on your rig and I use a multi-flashing water powered light. There's very little light that far down and glow will remind the Tiles of their favorite prey: Squid. Some folks bring additional baits with them. I had planned to bring cut mackerel as the oil slick usually draws the Tiles. Squid advertise their presence by emitting multi-color flashes hence, that what I use on the rig. I also have Squid Jigs that glow and mimic live squid.

After all this effort, you'll wind up with some of the best tasting fillets you've ever had. The fillets tastes almost like crab/lobster/shellfish. The fillets are nice and thick and the meat is flaky and white. Broiling is the preferred method of preparing them. SPOG and go from there. (Salt, pepper, onion, garlic).

At the end of the day, you'll will have gotten a pretty good idea what deep drop fishing is about. Depending on where your water is, you could be fishing reefs down in the GoM, or the deep water off Stellwagen Bank off Gloucester, MA. Just remember that deep drop is the big brother to bottom fishing and you have to gear up accordingly. Same technique basically but the difference is in the scale of what you're using and what you might catch.

If I could be of any further help, just let me know!

stinkyB, Br4d and bicketybam like this.
  8. bicketybam

I'm not sure there are abundant redfish opportunities in CT and RI

9. stinkyB

Thats what the Stripers are for ;)

10. bicketybam

At the end of the day I just love fishing. So being able to fish both freshwater and salt water gives me the most opportunities to fish. I've gone out pan fishing and had an awesome time. Truth be told I could fish for 8 hours, not catch a thing. And still have one of the best days of my life.

Cman65 and stinkyB like this.
  11. stinkyB

I put ALOT of mileage on my bmx bike from the ages of 12-14 with a fishing rod and tacklebox in hand scoping out the canals and ponds of west Broward county

12. stinkyB

.... Got a project deadline moved up a day to fish offshore with a buddy tomorrow, but he just picked up a charter.... Ocean is supposed to be FLAT tomorrow, so I'm game to run my lil boat offshore. Too bad I'm realizing I fish with dudes young enough to be my kids for a reason.... everyone I've asked to go has an excuse

bicketybam and Cman65 like this.
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

14. bicketybam

Do you use Navionics? I'm on the 15 day trial and so far it seems really helpful for planning trips.

#2074 bicketybam, Aug 17, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  15. bicketybam

16. bicketybam

I somehow missed this reply. Thanks for providing all that info! I'm not sure if that type of fishing is right for me but it's good to have a general idea of how it works. Thanks again, Cman!

Cman65 likes this.
  17. Cman65

Anytime Bick. Be advised though that if you should find yourself down in FL or off the Carolina coast deep dropping, you'll be instantly hooked on it. Same technique as plain old bottom fishing just larger in scale and so are the fish. BTW, if you want a small taste of what deep dropping is about, try to fish off Stellwagon Bank in Gloucester. Depth is 200-400ft and you'll get a feel for it. A 15-30lb Cod from 300ft down will provide a nice challenge. Tuna is in another weight class altogether.

You're gonna need a good sized boat just to be on the safe side to get out that far. As always, be safe!

18. Cman65

On the Dauntless out of Pt. Pleasant, NJ for some inshore bottom fishing today!

bicketybam likes this.
  19. Cman65

Great day! Won the Pool $$ with a 5lb fluke. Couldn't ask for better weather!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Should have been a better day but the Capt had to figure out what to do.. We spent the better part of the day anchored up and getting really small fish. Things picked up once Capt. BeachRunner realized we had to go out further and drift. Once he did that, it was game on for the last several hours of the trip. Hit the money fish on the last drift!

#2079 Cman65, Aug 19, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
    stinkyB, Dierking, Br4d and 2 others like this.
  20. bicketybam

Beautiful fluke! Congrats!

Cman65 likes this.