The *Official* FIRE BOB SUTTON thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LoyalJetsFan, Sep 28, 2008.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Bob Sutton and the "Let not be a scary defense" philosophy.

2. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

ND, you and I are on the same page. I was actually looking for Vision's "perfect gameplan" point of view...

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I see defenses with the individual talent that the Jets have that dominate the game. They give the ball back to the offense by stopping a 2 minute drill run by a scared garbage backup QB and a shit running game. The jets offense then scores or runs the clock out. Thats all I am asking for - using the talent thats on this team.

3 positions out of 11 starters could be replaced for better players to match the other 8, skill level. Other safety, Coleman is a JAG- but not terrible, and to nitpick - a corner that doesn't go through the growing pains that Lowery does, but Lowery is going to be a beast. The other 8 are good-to-great players... that is a recipe for a great defense, the Jets have a above average defense, which is 2-3 clicks below where they should be... I blame the old man who seems lost 24/7.

I'd like someone else, I think there are others who can do a better job.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Tell me what in the world does a gameplan against Arizona have to do with executing the perfect gameplan against the Bengals?

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Who cares? We facfed a QB w/ ZERO starts under his belt in week 2 and LOST! Our OFFENSE kept Cincy in the game. The D gave up 7 points(should have been 3), our D has been better than oiur O this year despite the skewed rankings from the SD and Ari games.

and again MANGINI is running this D, Sutton is a puppet. This is mangini's D and I have confidence in it, more confidence than I have in the O at the moment.

Hopw about the O not turning it over? how them not giving Cincy points? The D gives up ONE scoring drive all game and we are complaining? Meanwhile the O stunk most of the game and they get a free pass b/c of favre.

The AZ game was never in doubt, it's natural to have a letdown w/ that big of a halftime leade which we had b/c the D shutout ARi in the 1st half and they foriced a million TOs to make life easy for our O.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I'm not speaking in terms of specific game, I'm speaking in terms of 3 years of a certain defensive philosophy.

Perfect gameplan = no points, no yards, all turnovers on every down, and then the offense turns those turnovers into points.... forget the perfect gameplan.

What went on against the Bengals is a gimme... that team is inept. But when its time to face the Bills at their place for perhaps sole possession of 1st place, this thread will melt the new servers Petrozza just got if the same philosophy is implemented. Same goes for any division rival or elite opposition, its just not good enough considering the talent of the starting 11 on that D - an impressive DC could make these guys into a powerhouse defense that we could all trust and rely on, and the game would never have to be on Favre shoulders until January.... but thats a dream I have.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Has that 2 minute shit not gone on all season, and last, and in 06?? Not just today. Its the philosophy.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I'm not complaining about this individual game - 5 sacks is what is expected of a playoff bound team against a team that hasn't won a game... but when push comes to shove, and Sutton continues his bullshit bend but don't break shit, and it costs us a game, then I'm not the only one calling for a better scheme.

I'd like to see one 2 minute drill stopped and Favre runs the clock out or the O scores a FG/TD before a half ends... You know, like the Cowboys and Giants and Pats(not this years) and all those other teams that I see doing it... I know that this team is capable. If they weren't, I wouldn't be this upset...I'd just watch and accept it.

9. nyjunc

Our defensive philosophy comes from the HC and the HC is the leader of our D.

Like the Cowboys and Giants? Like when when Cincy marched down the field in less than 2 minutes to send the game to OT? When have we allowed points on a 2 minute drill this year? We stopped Miami sealing that win, the game was over afte our O failed to score w/ 3 mins left against NE, we weren't in that situation against SD, ARi didn't score in the final minutes. ONLY Cincy has scored in a situation like that all year and maybe if our O could have moved the chains a few times after starting the previous posssession on our 34 then we wouldn't have needed the D to make a stop there?

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

This is one of those rare occasions that I'm going to agree with junc.

While I'd still like Sutton to be shown the door, yesterday wasn't a great case against him. That single scoring drive the D allowed Fitzpatrick to look good, but otherwise, he was being pressured all day.

The best opportunity for Chad Johnson to make a play all day sailed over his head because he didn't even figure he was a part of the play. Shutting down an elite WR is a good thing.

I'm no Sutton fan by any means, but let's be honest, overall, the D was improved yesterday over the previous games this year.

As junc said though, this offense is a concern. If you're not scoring points, when given wonderful field position repeatedly, you have to take a good look at your offensive gameplan and say "Well, maybe there's something we need to fix."

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The team has yet to put together a full game where all facets are clicking. The good thing over the last couple of games is that when the D has struggled the O has had their backs and vice versa. That's a great thing to see.

We're not a team that will fall apart if one area is struggling.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Yeah, I'm always happy when enough goes right to win. Of course, my heart doesn't appreciate the abuse it takes while the game progresses. That said, if they don't start clicking together soon, we're not going to enjoy January. This spell of weak teams will run out soon enough, and then we have to win the kinds of games that January gives you.

13. JetsLookingforDWare

Why is our 3rd quarter against the Cardinals considered a meltdown?

I guess this into the larger question of "why is everything a bigger deal than it is?"

I haven't seen anything amazingly wrong with the D so far, at least with Jenkins in. And actually...when Jenkins came out cause he was a little shaken up in the third we went and got a sack.

I can't think of anyone available that I'd want for D-coordinator...I kinda wish we didn't get Brown taken away by ND.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as a gimme in the NFL. They did exactly what needed to be done, they dominated a team they were supposed to dominate, while not playing a very good game on offense. The D executed the gameplan to perfection, Bengals had exactly one drive that they did absolutely anything with and if the refs didn't fuck up, they would have given up a whopping 3 points the whole game. Even so, holding any team to 7 points is a great defensive game. There was no need to blitz often yesterday, they were getting consistent pressure with 3 and 4 man rushes and had great coverage throughout the game(outside of one drive.)Everyone keeps calling for more agressiveness but don't realize that is where the D has been hurt the most. The D has had the most success when they are dropping 7, 8 guys into coverage.

Sutton is just the newest scapegoat because Jets fans always have to have a scapegoat, always. It is Mangini's D and his gameplan going into the game.

15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Hard to tell how good or bad our d was yesterday we played a very bad team that was sleepwalking through most of that game. Against the Bengals the mental lapses on O weren't a problem. Against a good team it will be. I just expected the Jets to be mentally alert and play a fairly crisp game on both sides of the ball coming off a bye. We certainly didn't do that. A win is a win but the Jets shouldn't be confussed with a good NFL team playing good football right now we aren't.

The biggest positive of yesterdays game besides winning while playing at a pedestran level was the play of Jenkins and Pace who are both huge upgrades to our D.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Yeah so that old guy who's clueless.... what about this week?

17. nyjunc

Are you trying to say the D cost su again? A week ago they give up 7 pts, this week 10 pts in regulation and they stopped the Raiders TWICE in OT and it's the D's fault? This is on the QB who has played like a rookie lately.

18. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Yeah, I can't fault Mangini and Sutton for this game. They kept a strong, productive running team in check. Of course, there were moments where Russell had more time than he should have and made plays that he hasn't made all year. Same thing with Fitzpatrick in the Cincy game.

Now, I think this falls more on the players but it's hard to tell because there were times when the blitzes and coverages lacked all creativity, making it easy for Russell to digest and execute.

But overall, the D played very well yesterday, and the O was an epic fail.

19. Pennythetowelboy

Pennythetowelboy New Member

Why did Kerry Rhodes blitz from his normal saftey spot like 15 yards from the line of scrimmage? That allowed the tight end to be open and have no pressure on the QB at the same time. Stupid call or maybe Rhodes fault i dont know.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That was a ridiculously stupid looking blitz. I have to believe that it was designed to be delayed but not nearly as much as it turned out being delayed.