The *Official* FIRE BOB SUTTON thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LoyalJetsFan, Sep 28, 2008.

1. PleaseWinSuperBowlJets

PleaseWinSuperBowlJets Active Member

Kurt Warner has most his yards and all his TDs in the 2nd half, when the Jets played prevent D

2. PleaseWinSuperBowlJets

PleaseWinSuperBowlJets Active Member

But really, we should have blitzed more this game.

If Jim johnson was our DC, every cardinals possession is a 3 and out or a TO

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Everyone knows where I stand on Sutton. My sig has called for his firing every season so far.

The fact is, if we don't have a guy taking snaps from Mangold named Favre, Manning, or Brady yesterday, we lose the game.

Sutton called a fantastic first half. Credit is due there, and he'll get it from me. The second half though, the guy just shut down. The "bend but don't break" philosophy works against second-class teams, but allows teams like the Pats to beat you. The only reason we beat the Cards is because their D couldn't stop Favre from playing backyard football.

I agree with the people pointing a finger at Mangini though. I still believe Mangini is allowing Sutton to call the plays on his own during gametime, but it's Mangini's responsibility to make his coaches call games his way. So Manigni is damned either way. Either he's allowing Sutton to do whatever he wants without his own input, or he is working with Sutton and making stupid mistakes.

If Sutton called entire games like he did the first half, there'd be no complaints about him. But he doesn't. Schotty was aggressive all game. Why not Bob?

4. greenbeanz

greenbeanz Well-Known Member

this is the truest statement right here. sutton seems to like to use the play not to lose strategy versus the play to win strategy. every single game that we are ahead going into the half, we come back out and start leaving the middle open and getting burned on the short stuff. i dont understand why we dont just keep attacking and keep playing like we cant let anything go. this is the only team in the league where being up by two scores is just as scary as being down by two scores. its ridiculous. i think the biggest concern though, is that mangini, a so called defensive genius, allows this. i say goodbye sutton and either mangini coaches the D himself or we find someone who will be a mangini puppet and see if mangini is actually a defensive genius

5. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

If Sutton is following Mangini's gameplan, then I blame Mangini too. Unfortunately, we won't know this until another DC is brought in and we can see his gameplan.

You know, I didn't see the Pats allowing teams back in games last year when they were blowing them out. This is about mentality -- having a winner's mentality.

Sitting back in prevent is all fine and good when you're up 34-0. But when they reel off 21 unanswered, and then you still don't stop them from scoring after that? Nope, sorry. That's un-fucking-acceptable.

And I'd still like to hear an answer to my question regarding: When teams hold a big lead, isn't easier to gameplan against the opponent because you know they have to pass, so you therefore know what their playcalls are? I hear this time and time again; and if that's the case, then why was this game cut to 13?

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The game planning didn't really get conservative until the Jets scored their first second half TD. The 21 points for the Cardinals in the 3rd quarter the D was still blitzing and mixing up looks. The D got complacent, not nessesarily the play calling. Missed tackles, better Cardinals execution, a dropped INT by Rhodes and a terrible job by the STs on the onside kicks were bigger factors than the playcalling.

It is amazing how Jets fans need to blame someone after every game win or lose.

7. The Uniform Bomber

No, it's amazing that people get their panties in a bunch when other people want to complain or vent - yes, even after a win - because the team wasn't perfect.

I'm happy we won. The Offense looked excellent. The D pitched a shutout in the 1st Half. Then they allowed the game to get close in the 2nd Half. If I wanna complain about that and try to figure out who's responsible for it and call that party out, then I'm gonna do it because this is a fucking message board; that's its purpose.

8. Beamen

Beamen New Member

^^ No.

Sorry, but no matter the score, at halftimes both teams need to make adjustments.

We stayed with the same gameplan we used coming into the game, and the Cards adjusted to it.

It was an excellent gameplan, and I give Sutton & Mangini all the credit in the world for coming up with it.

But at halftime you HAVE TO KNOW that the opposing team is going to make adjustments, and find a way to beat the D you showed them. It is the coaches' jobs to make adjustments to keep them on their heels.

It was obvious. We came out blitzing, many of the same blitzes that we used in the first half. The Cards were picking them up, and hitting the hot WRs in the holes in the zones. They saw what we did in the 1st half, and they found a way to beat it.

When we realized that those schemes had been countered, we backed off, and started the conservative shit again.

We have had only only DC since our AFCC run in 1998, Donnie Henderson, who would come out of the tunnel in the 3rd Q having made the necessary adjustments to keep the pressure on each and every game.

Sutton has been inept at making those adjustments, and it has shown in much the same way that Paul Hackett was always exposed after his 15-20 "scripted" plays to start each game had run out....

There are two major facets to a Coordinator's job. Preparation, and in-game playcalling and adjustments. Hackett & Sutton were both pretty good at preparation. They both leave a lot to be desired in the latter category.

#68 Beamen, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  9. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

um when the game mattered it the D looked great and held them to 0 points. last time i checked they have a pretty ridiculous passing attack that was held in check by our guys.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Thats what scares the hell out of me. Those close games where 2nd half adjustments are very important and Sutton can't make them. I saw him on the sidelines actually look a Mangini and throw his arms up in the air saying "huh? I dunno." During the 3rd qtr... winning the 2nd half chess match has be done, especially with teams that will play a close game and have that come from behind winning QB. Like a Favre :)

Thats why I don't think Sutton has staying power. And the fact that he strikes no fear into anyone.

11. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

The idea of this is disturbing to say the least. Even if in fact one is perplexed, a leader should act confidently in front of his men. What kind of confidence does this instill? He should have been in the face of the defense challenging them to hold the line.

Rather than call for his firing, I think we should begin a campaign to call for his resignation. Perhaps being an ARMY guy, he has a sense of honor that can move him to admit he is overmatched and to help train a replacement.

12. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

tell me why we even fired donnie henderson in the first place....our d was nice with him...but we really shoulda kept ted catrell...sutton is a joke

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

You're not going to get a lot of Cotrell supporters.

Henderson was the guy besides Westhoff that I wanted to get the HC position when Herm left. He wasn't going to stay in a non-HC capacity though.

Here's the thing. I think Sutton is brilliant with a chalkboard. He's a fantastic practice coach, and he clearly has the D queued up to play on Sunday. His problem is his in-game management. Someone mentioned it already, and I totally agree with it that he is like Hackett. He's great in the early part of the game while running through the scripted stuff. It's the second-half adjustments, or lack thereof, that I take issue with.

As for Mangini, honestly, I don't think he likes the playcalling from Sutton. Every time you see Sutton he's staying away from Mangini. Also, there was a point yesterday where Mangini was standing behind Sutton watching him just stare at his paperwork with the defensive players on the bench in front of him. You could see Mangini finally lose his patience and start screaming at them. To me, it's clear Sutton is calling plays without Mangini's influence, and it's not working out. That is what I blame Mangini for. You take the reigns away in that case.

I guess we'll see after this week. Every year Mangini gets more involved with the D after the bye. Hopefully this year he takes over the playcalling and just lets Sutton prepare the D for the game in practice.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

good point, all true... its also the fact that the rumors of Sutton being gone and Ryan hired is a huge part to why I want this guy out as well... he is not truly wanted by this organization.

15. The Uniform Bomber

Yep, I noticed this too. And I agree that, as Head Coach and the overall general of this team, Mangini needs to intervene.

I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't blame Mangini because when the Offense was an abyss run by Hackett, I blamed Herm for not stepping up and taking some control of the situation.

Mangini is now in a similar situation; he needs to take control of the Defensive scheme and playcalling.

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The plus about the comparison is that Mangini was a DC, and Herm couldn't do anything about Hackett because he was a DB coach beforehand.

Mangini has the advantage here.

17. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I expect even more of an improvement after the bye week.

18. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

In defense of Sutton and the so-called lack of balls, please draw your attention to the play Darrelle Revis picked six.

It was a very ballsy defensive call. Ya know why? Nine man rush? No. Corner blitz? No. Multiple stunts? NO. ONE MAN RUSH! ONE GUY! Kris friggin Jenkins dropped into coverage!

It was a brilliant call, it was a ballsy call and it worked to perfection. Balls and Blitz are not necessarily synonymous.

19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The Cardinals offensive line looked like swiss cheese. We were rushing 3 in the first half and were actually getting through... that isn't good gameplanning by Sutton, that's awful execution by Arizona.

They handed us the game more or less.

20. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

uh, we are talking about the defensive coach- who allowed 50+ points to the chargers and 35 points to arizona.

his defenses have mostly sucked all 3 years- unless the bye week gave other coaches extra time to work with the defense.

let favre call his own plays, and let mangini, shott, dabolt, and callahan help o'dea and westoff run the defense. sutton can go on i.r.:up: