The official "Draft Day" Thread Part II

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Apr 29, 2006.

1. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

Murphy on Clemens

intresting thoughts

2. Pennythetowelboy

Pennythetowelboy New Member

those the best avalible so far?

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Jabba, great post. It was really long so I won't quote it here, but that is an excellent breakdown.

Now that I have had a night to sleep it off, I am a bit calmer, however, I am still angry.

Let me say, I don't disagree with the first round at all. No, I did not want Brick at all. Yes, it is a premium position, and he was the BPA for that position, so it makes a good pick by default. However, it is widely regarded that he has problems with the run, and our offense has centered around the run for so long that it makes me that much more nervous that Curtis is going to get pounded again and again. How much can we ask from the guy? He has been the most consistent and by far the toughest player on this team for so long now, when does he get the chance to not get beat to a pulp?

Mangold was a popular pick for the past few weeks at 29. Ever since we got the pick for Abe, he has been the guy practically everyone wanted to fill Mawae's spot. Not a bad pick at all. Yes, he is undersized, but so was Mawae, and he has had an absolutely brilliant career. Nothing wrong with that.

So we filled the void left by Mawae, and we picked up a tough spot to fill with Brick. Great work on rebuiling the OLine, which we have been begging for now for ages. Good job, and deserves an A for the first round.

Then we move past the first round. This is when it all goes to hell. In what many consider the deepest draft ever we held a slot widely regarded to be as good as another first round pick. So what did we do? We traded it, to of all teams, the REDSKINS. There are few teams I hate to trade with, and those include :pats_suck: :raiders: :finssuck: :deadskins:

So we trade down, lose the "third first rounder pick" and for what? What did we get out of it? Let's see. We wound up trading a handful of picks to Dallas to jump up to grab Clemmens. Is Clemmens a bad pick? I don't know. We have two first round QBs on the roster, and one who amounts to possibly the best backup QB we have had in ages. Yes, all three are questionable on their level of play right now, but to reach for Clemmens? Especially after considering Cutler, Leinart, Young, and yes, even Croyle? On that list, I liked Cutler and Croyle the most, but let's be honest, Leinart or Young would both have probably been better for us than Clemmens. The only guy who was out of our reach at all was Young. We could have had ANY of those guys, without moving draft slots, or even moving DOWN. Instead, we spent all this time gathering picks, and then moved UP to grab Clemmens!

So let's review:
    We lost on Mario, who would have filled the void left by JAbe. Okay, but we got D'Brick, which filled a void left by past drafts. {Even. A}

We lost out on Lawson, a perfect player, born to play OLB/DE in a 3-4/4-3 hybrid scheme. Fine, but we got Mangold, which fills another need. We should have moved up for Lawson, but fine, we sat still, and he was gone. {Even. B}

We dumped a perfectly good impact pick, for nothing. We managed to parlay a ton of trades yesterday, and wound up with a boatload of late second day picks. Oh, excuse me, we got a second rounder next year from Washington, who should be a playoff team next year, so that will be worth a third round pick. Great, so in a draft where we held most of the cards, we have now looked forward to next year, and haven't even bothered to set ourselves up for a push at Quinn. All I can say is, Clemmens better be a star. {Poor. D}

Then, just to really drive that stake into our collective hearts, these idiots grab yet ANOTHER safety! Is Bradway still up there calling the shots? Holy overloaded positions Batman! What is the love-fest this team has with safeties? I would have been okay with it if they at least went corner, since we still have some decent question marks there, but I would have preferred we addressed the DE, DT, or ILB positions where we are sorely lacking. I don't count this Schlereth (sp?) pick as addressing ILB, since the guy doesn't seem to be an every down backer, I just don't care about the workhorse mentality. We have a workhorse ILB, and he plays EVERY down, and sideline to sideline. {Terrible. F}

So all in all, we still definitely have glaring needs at DT and DE. We still have a perceived need at RB and WR. We still have a possible need at QB, ILB, and CB. Overall Day 1 Grade: {Barely average. C}

I honestly think I would have been fine had we done everything we did yesterday, and at least used the second rounder on an impact player. A RB, or WR who could come in and be a playmaker.

Yes, I know this isn't a one year turnaround, and I never expected it to be. However, given the talent level of this draft, why did we make such an effort to consistently move down? The opportunity for playmakers to come in, get acclimated to this new regime and the O and D schemes was there for the taking. Instead, we filled some holes, and pretended we are "one or two role-players" away from the top of the AFCE.

Sorry, I woke up okay, and I read through the posts since my last one last night and I was okay, then I started thinking about how badly we blew this draft again.

I'm really starting to wonder if we were better off with Bradway. He overpaid guys, but at least he grabbed guys who were supposed to make an impact. If Brick and Mangold don't make huge impacts, I say we have Tanny and Mangini meet all of us in the Meadowland's parking lot in December for a public flogging.

Sometimes it's really hard to be a Jets fan. Actually, it's ALWAYS hard to be a Jets fan. :shit:

4. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

when does the audio version of this book come out? lol j/k

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Haha, yeah sorry. My wife was sitting here saying "What the hell? Is that all ONE POST? Don't they have some kind of limit on word count?" :breakdance:

6. mudman

mudman New Member

Anyone here read the book, "Moneyball"?

As each pick passed for the Jets yesterday, I was reminded of the disgust and arguments coming from the scouts as Billy Beane went down his list of would be prospects. They wanted the traditional big time atheletes and he was naming guys that werent even on their lists, had questionable atheletic characteristics but had stellar consistent performances.

Beane made these player picks several rounds ahead of where any other MLB team projected them. He was viewed as "reaching" but moved ahead full steam regardless of opposing views.

Beane (who by the way I hate as a Yankee fan) has a plan, an idea of the type of players he wants and goes for it without regard for "expert opinion".

So, I am sitting there analyizing these picks and reading the various positive and negative posts on here. I couldnt help thinking of the draft in Moneyball and wondering if Tangini had applied the same theories to their first draft. Obviously, this does not translate perfectly over to football and the A's were saving cash in the process. However, say what you will about these picks, all of them were very productive in college and none walk in to the room with character judgements.

I will believe in the "Tangini system" until they prove they are clueless. We have made a lot of "sexy" picks in the past that have led us nowhere. We have a young tag team taking chances and maybe just maybe surprising us with their intelligence.

7. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

Very well said....

I might add..for what we got for 1st,29.,,and then we traded out of the 35th...not getting Reggie Bush is a tremendous blunder. True, we needed bodies,but I don't think what they drafted is going to make NEAR the impact Bush will.

IMO, they made safe albeit flimsy choices. Clemens MIGHT be a good pickup, but he has to really impressed to jump over Chad and Patrick.

By the way, who's projected to be the number one pick next year...? I'm already looking forward to the next draft.

8. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

SNY said were drafting for need inthe 2nd rd. where targeting RB,WR, and Te. so lets see what we come out with today. mangini thinks he can get starters out of rd 2. i thought that was intresting when he said that.

9. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I love the Ferguson pick and I gained a lot of respect for Tangini for making the football decision instead of bowing to popular opinion and pressure. I also was surprised by the reaction of Jets fans at Radio City, who realized that if they booed D'Brickashaw that he would immediately enter the lore of "bad Jets picks" and cheered accordingly.

Mangold I also love. With the Steelers moving up and taking Holmes, I thought that we could've had him at #35 but the player that I would've targeted, Jackson, was available there as well so it's no big whup. Great job filling the void left by Mawae.

Trading down in the second round I don't like at all. We got a good return package for it, but it doesn't justify the move IMO. The value at the Redskins' pick next year will not approach the value at our pick this year, I promise you that. We could've and should've had Chad Jackson or Lendale White. Clemens, until he proves to me otherwise, is a career backup.

Schlegal I love. Hard working player who at the very least is going to be a special teams contributor with that motor of his. Was always overshadowed at Ohio State.

Smith I don't love. He's an OK player with serious injury concerns. There was nobody who I was begging them to take so I'll choose to trust Tangini on this one. He also seems like at worse a solid backup/special teams guy.

10. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

ok man where all my draft thread guys at.

11. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Owen Daniels, TE, taken by Houston to begin Day 2.

Philadelphia trades up with New Orleans to take Max Jean-Gilles.

12. browningnagle8

browningnagle8 New Member

he would have been nice max jean giles

13. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

I hope we take Elvis Dumerville with this pick to help our pass rush due to the loss of Abe. I would also like a RB or Gabe Watson.

14. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

SF takes a QB, but ESPN goes to commercial before saying who.

15. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

hopefully i get the one pick i wanted WR Brandon Marshal UCF

16. jetsaholic10

jetsaholic10 Member

whats our next pick?

17. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

in 2 picks

18. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

And now NFL.com says WR Michael Robinson. Good call, ESPN.

Edit: ESPN says he is a QB, NFL.com says WR, and guy announcing says RB. Whatever.

19. jetsaholic10

jetsaholic10 Member

wow robinson drafted as a rb

20. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

michael robinson lol many its tough see were he projects in the nfl.