The official "Draft Day" Thread Part II

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Apr 29, 2006.

1. ChuckkieB

ChuckkieB Member

Jets are on the clock......

2. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Eh, I dunno. I like the kid, but we already have a pretty similar player in Jerricho Cotchery.

EDIT: I'd prefer a WR with blazing speed...although finding one in these later rounds that can still actually catch the ball is a rarity.

3. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

4. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

eric smith?

5. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

Why do we need a safety?

6. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Another friggin safety!!!! Oh, for chrissakes

7. ChuckkieB

ChuckkieB Member

Who is this guy???

8. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

damn they didn't take watson!!! who the fjkb is eric smith???

9. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

alright... i like the first 2...3 is a leap... the other two were picked out of a fucking HAT!

10. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

Well i guess I can rant in here then :grin: while I like the fact that we solidified our line by taking linemen I really wanted our team to make a splash, which am sure they tried to do with N.O. but in the end looks like they didn't want to trade bush. You all know that I was against drafting d'brick but I guess he was the best pick for this team. While I like the mangold pick am still waiting for the jets to pick a player that can contribute on offense this coming season, be it a rb,wr, or te. I do like the clemens pick and hope that he developes into our qb of the future. Looks like ramsey will be the guy this season and hopefully clemens will be the guy in 07. As far as the linebacker that we picked goes I will trust mangini and T that they made the right move but my question is how will this guy help this coming season? besides ST. As am posting this the jets are up with the last pick of the day and am crossing my fingers that we pick a guy that can help on the offensive side of the ball

EDIT:

No such luck.....WhyTF did we just take a safety? I thought that was a position where we were set. So much for helping the Offense on day 1. I really don't like this pick, there had to be someone better at another position that we could've drafted.

#90 NY2MD_FS, Apr 29, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  11. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Eric Smith? Another high character guy who has good intangibles. Like our previous pick, Smith also lacks great athleticism and speed.

12. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Gentleman, we drafted the ONLY player without a profile on nfl.com in Eric Smith...

Well, at least the Mets won...what a disappointment this draft turned out to be

13. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

FS? OK... but no listing for Eric Smilt from Michigan State

14. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

He doesnt even have a profile on NFL.com. What.The.F@ck?

Eric Smith
    Height: 6-1
    Weight: 209
    40 Speed: 4.64
    Position: Strong Safety
    College: Michigan State

GIL BRANDT'S ANALYSIS
    Smith had a complete workout at the Combine. He ran his 40s in 4.57 and 4.69, had a 40-inch vertical jump, 10-foot-6 long jump, 4.10 short shuttle, 6.89 three-cone drill, and had 21 lifts. He turned in a 3.97 short shuttle at the Michigan State Pro Day on March 18. Did it all in high school, playing defensive back, quarterback, running back and wide receiver. Was a medical redshirt in 2001 with a torn meniscus in his left knee. Started five games at free safety in 2002, and nine games in 2003 at strong safety. Started 22 games over the past two years. Smith has good size for the position. He is a smart player with good instincts and good, but not great, athletic ability. Has had a lot of injuries and will have trouble keeping up with speedy players.

15. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

wow thats pathetic. we wasted our 3rd rd.. we should just traded up

16. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

So what happened with Jean-Gilles? The guy was supposed to go in the early rounds, but he doesn't go on the first day? How could we take a career back-up safety over a potential starting OL?

17. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

First 1/2 : A
    2nd Half : hope they know what they're doing....

18. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Who? What? Why? This guy is a scrub...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Safety | Senior | Michigan St. Eric Smith
    Height: 6-1 | Weight: 209 | 40-Time: 4.67

Official Bio

Strengths:
    Has good size...Is a solid tackler...Was very productive...Excels versus the run...Is always around the action...Quick and plays faster than he times...Intense and very competitive...Tough and smart...A hard worker with excellent intangibles.

Weaknesses:
    Does not have great timed speed...A bit of a liability in coverage...Struggles in zone and doesn't read or react quickly...Durability is a concern and he has a long history of injury troubles...Doesn't intercept many passes...Upside is limited.

Notes:
    A classic in-the-box safety...Plays like a linebacker who is trapped in a safeties body...Health is a major question after numerous knee and shoulder injuries...Has the looks of a situational player and special teams contributor at the next level.

19. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

so basicly another slow white guy.. and no im not racist.

20. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

ugh, we end day one with no playmakers on offense or defense. I like d'brick and mangold, I'm ok with clemens (don't know a lot about him) but I would have loved pope over schweigel (sp?) and watson instead of smith.