The official "Draft Day" Thread Part II

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Apr 29, 2006.

1. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Yeah I know.

I don't have any answers for you. Like I put in my post above, I don't know the talent at this stage. I guess I am looking to be appeased by our remaining picks really. I just don't understand why we chose not to address positions that are critical to our success.

All the players we could have picked to fill in these spots have been available to us, and we wound up trading down. Why? We don't need to save cap room. There are no FAs at this point who can fill the roles.

Maybe they know something about June 1st we don't.

#521 AlioTheFool, Apr 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2005
  2. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

I think getting an extra pick in the second round next year and grabbing a second rounder like this QB was a brilliant move. The third round trades bugged me a bit, but like I said earlier I think that safety is going to OLB, in which case with a 3/4 aren't we addressing the Abraham lost sacks by beefing up the secondary?

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

As I wrote about this morning, we traded down from 35 in a draft where 40 guys were considered first-round talent. In return, we dropped to the bottom of the round, and then blew 3 picks to get Clemmens. We also got Washington's second rounder next year. We have to assume that is going to be a late pick, since the Skins will almost definitely be in the playoffs.

Even if they aren't, from what I have seen, next year there isn't a lot of talent coming out. This draft just depleted college for the next couple of years. So this pick, even if it goes high, still doesn't give us a great player, which we could have received at 35 this year.

4. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

And who would you have taken at 35?

5. l3ol3o

l3ol3o New Member

Lets be real here. You know most 6th round picks wont amount to anything.

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I'm not sure debacle was the right word to choose there , but drafting a QB was the last thing on my mind after addressing the O 2 times in the 1st. I would have gone for the best DE available. I don't think we now have the personnel to be able to play a successfull 43 , so it will have to be the 34.

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

See above for my opinion of next year's two.

OLB isn't a need position IMO. Barton and Hobson are going to be the starters. Fine, he adds depth, but that doesn't make up for Abe's presence. We are asking a lot of Vilma and our corners as far as the pass defense goes next year. I think it's a bad move, and will only wear on Vilma like we have worn on Curtis for all these years.

8. gustoonarmy

Darryl Tapp, in a heartbeat

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Honestly, it's going to sound stupid given everything I have said, but at 35, I would have taken someone like LenDale White, Jerrious Norwood, or at least Clemmens then, and not lost the extra two picks.

EDIT: Yeah, Tapp is another choice that fell below there and could have filled a need.

10. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

im happy we took washington over norwood.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

That's what we all believe, but that is not the message Tangini has been sending the last two days. They have been making an EFFORT to move south in the draft. Mangini even said himself this morning that he expected to bring in starters today. If that's the case, a lot of our current players will not be happy on the morning of June 1st.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

But LenDale White?

13. gustoonarmy

I thought the Steelers would go for him

14. BADMOO

BADMOO New Member

valid.

White and Norwood didn't impress me. Tapp... well given how it worked out, I'm happier with Clemmens.

Sure it would have been better if we didn't need to giive up picks, but we don't know who else was looking to grab him at that point. Remember there was a lot of movement, we have panicked or we may have been shrewd, who knows.

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Well they didn't have a chance. They traded their first two rounds away, so there was no possiblity. I don't think they are suffering at RB though :wink:

16. Lunatic

Lunatic New Member

Just because these professionals know more then we do, it means that they cannot be wrong?

It means nobody should have a different opinion as to how this draft is going? What is the point of being on a message board then? Why not just open the newspaper tommorow and just nod your head, feeling safe and secure that the professionals have done thier homework and made all the correct calls.

Have you ever followed the draft before? Seen a player you thought your team missed on and YOU actually ended up being correct while the "professionals" blew the pick? There is a reason that turnover is a huge part of professional sports.

I still have nigthmares about Ed Reed but I digress...

Just because you want to blindly follow the new reigme doesn't mean others shouldn't be allowed to express their opinions, no matter how much you dont like them.

17. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

There's around 200 players in each years draft, and not even half of them will still be in the league 5 years from now. Most day 2 picks usually don't amount to anything, but that doesn't mean good value can't be found there. Tom Brady, Terrell Davis, and Matt Birk are just a few pro-bowl players that come to mind when I think of 6th round steals.

18. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Fair enough, but why move down, get really nothing out of it, and then blow picks to get back up? It just seems like poor pick management to me.

Trading down so many times tells me they expected to get talent late, but they haven't filled holes. That's my only point. It just doesn't make sense.

Oh well, we only have one more pick to waste, and it's not going to be a player on the roster come September.

19. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

little update on brad smith... his faster than his combine 40 time.

20. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

i agree lendale i woulda like to have.