The Official Cutdown Day Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 29, 2022.

1. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The point isn't whether you think Streveler is marginally better than white, its that they do NOT have to change the offense for him, they do for either Flacco or White. This teams needs consistency, they aren't good enough yet to switch from system 1 under ZW to system 2 under statutes.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

We have SloJo and BengalGame ready to step in and lead the Jets to glory!..

abyzmul likes this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

With all due respect I cannot agree with any of this. ZW was drafted number 2 because of his ability to make plays within the pocket within the structure of the offense. His experience in a similar pro offense in college making pro type throws is what set him apart from much more raw prospects like Lawrence and Fields. His ability to make off structure plays was a bonus but it was not his strength.

His rookie year the 1st 5 games were the reverse. Like most rookies he had no success within the pocket and all his success came off structure. But, the last 7 games things changed his success came from within the pocket not off structure. That is where he needs to continue to improve. Getting the ball out on time from within the pocket like he did in college. That is Zach Wilson's strength and why he fit this offense so well as a prospect.

4. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Why is Ashtyn Davis still here

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

They should cut Hardee. Glad Dunn is still around but he didn't look good last Saturday. I like Guidry he will be picked up.

blackssmagic and Nyjets4eva like this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Heh, heh, heh - the wonder of Twitter and its geniuses with their breaking news...I won't even mention those that hang on every Tweet. This took all of 36 minutes, "league sources" and all. Not even a "my bad" from the tweetster, Aaron Wilson

#46 Ralebird, Aug 30, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

literally the 1st and 4th posts in this thread.

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed, that's why they show up as quoted posts. I just eliminated the extraneous comments.

9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I think the thing with Streveler is that he brought some excitement and has an x-factor vibe about him. I don't think anyone is thinking he will become a great quarterback, but we already know what Flacco is and it is increasingly clear what Mike White is. The season is lost if Zach doesn't do well - neither Flacco nor White are taking us anywhere interesting, and both of them looked mostly pedestrian in preseason.

Then there is this other guy who brought the team to life and I just hate the way it's automatic that he isn't going to make the team. He played against third-stringers, yes. But he also played WITH third-stringers, and he made things happen and brought energy. I think I'm going to fall asleep when I watch Flacco play and the really bad thing is it looks like he might as well. I swear when he's on the sidelines he looks like he's thinking about taking a nice little nap.

And just what are these preseason games for if it doesn't matter how well you play? What must players think when the best QB of the preseason is cut? What's the point of even showing up and trying? This coaching staff does not have enough credit in the bank to make me think they must know what they are doing. I don't see Streveler as a saviour, but I see him as a guy who just might do something if Zach goes down again. White might do something too, granted, but not Flacco. Cut Flacco and let him finally get that nap he's so desperate for.

SOJAZ, blackssmagic, Cman68 and 4 others like this.
  10. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I get the angst over Streveler. It was fun to watch the guy. He seems a character you could get behind easily. But let's get real for a minute. He's QB 3 or 4. What's the primary role of QB 3? It's not to play. He won't even suit up most games. He'll be running the scout team at practice. Which QB does that better, White or Strev? I'll guess it is the guy who did that job for most of last season rather than the CFL maverick.

And QB4. Do the Jets, or any organisation, want to waste a roster spot in QB4? The Jets are letting good players walk, guys who who could realistically contribute on an NFL roster. It was always practise squad at best for Streveler and you've got to be cut to get there. No guarantee that White won't end up there once ZW returns anyway.

11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We might just sneak Streveler onto the practice squad.

hornblower likes this.
  12. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Jets need to voltron the QB3 thing...get the guy who combines mike white and streveler....gardner f*&^ing minshew

When gardner minshew left for college he put his arm around his dad and said "you're the man of the house now...."

13. K'OB

Who was the guy from the Phins that used to come in as back up QB and roast us like he was Tom Brady, his name won't come to my ruined brain, sure he was last seen as Mahomes back up a season or 2 back?

boozer32 likes this.
  14. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Matt Moore?

K'OB likes this.
  15. K'OB

thank you

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Trevor Lawrence was never considered a 'raw' prospect

It was a funky year, everyone besides BYU played half seasons, so Wilson shot up the draft board. It sucks but it is what it is at this point. A mistake would be placing too much emphasis on the draft slot. At this point it doesn't mean shit where he was drafted

abyzmul likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

Minshew can play. Instead of trading for Flacco he shoulda been the guy they made a move for last year

SOJAZ and IDFjet like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

Surprised they cut Guidry unless they plan on grabbing a corner from someone else's cuts. You can't roll with 5 corners. Hardee cant play the position

blackssmagic and tomdeb like this.
  19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Raw prospect for Lawrence might not be the best choice of words. Lawrence did not play in a pro offense and he did not make pro throws at Clemson. But he did show arm strength and the ability to throw with anticipation. Along with his size, big game experience and athleticism made him the number 1 prospect. Lawrence did not have the tape that Wilson had of the ability to make pro throws and run a pro offense or run a pro offense with efficiency which is why Wilson was considered such a great fit for Shanahan scheme, and why so many teams wanted to trade up for him, as he ran such a similar offense in college with such efficiency from the pocket. In that sense Lawrence was a raw prospect compared to Wilson but then again he was light years ahead of Fields who ran a gimmik offense without even any options for receivers. So it is context. In comparison to most top QB's he was not raw but he still had not shown on film that he could run a pro offense just that he had the potential too. Wilson had the tape to show he could play in a pro offense. Lawrence you had to project but it was not a big leap of faith like Fields. That being said Lawrence was still the better prospect. No one questions that. Albert Breer's survey of 23 front office's before the draft all had Lawrence 1st and Wilson 2nd. 3rd for 5th teams were all over the board. But, the top 2 were Lawrence then Wilson.

#59 Noam, Aug 30, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    azhar80 likes this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I don’t have an issue with Streveler to the practice squad….my issue is more around the process that we saw unfold. We bring a guy in out of nowhere and he lights it up against the scrubs, not once, not twice, but brings us back three times. While they are scrubs, that should at least count for SOMETHING. So if a player does well against lower competition, then I think the coaches should then say ok, let’s see how you do when you step up in class. And if he continues to do well, then step him up again. It’s not like we have great backup QBs…we have Mike White who really had a great game but it was just one game, and we have Flacco, who is what he is. I would have liked to have seen Streveler start the second half against the Giants. If he sucks then you know, and if he does well, then you elevate him again. It’s kind of a similar path to Mims. We never let him run with the ones in preseason and he got frustrated. Sure, you have to earn it, but if a player does earn it, which I think Streveler did earn the chance to compete at the next level, then you owe it to yourself to see if they can continue to shine.

In the end, I though White looked pretty good against the Giants, and Flacco looked good until that brutal lazy pick, but they didn’t put up points … and Flacco with the ones against the Giants twos was a bit concerning….just showed me that while we have improved from last year, it’s all relative…we are still not a great team and we play in the brutal AFC, and while it may not be the West, we are still in a tough division and until we prove otherwise, we are still the last place team…I would think from a raw talent standpoint we should be able to play well against the Pats but Belichick just has our number no matter who’s on the field…