The Official Cutdown Day Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 29, 2022.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Very bizarre that the super bowl champion Rams have done something twice in the last five months that I’ve been told teams only do once a decade. Even weirder that the first time they did it this year, it cleared $12 mil in cap space because I was also told it’s never above $6 mil.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Rams have a very unusual model for building a team. One that no other team has been able to replicate.

The fact that they draft so many good players after the 1st round after trading their 1st round picks for excellent players puts unusual stress on their cap.

This is one of those "don't try this at home" models and it doesn't work for anybody but them.

It's similar to the Redskins model of the early 70's that was successful for several years before finally collapsing under the wight of aging talent and injuries.

3. BroadwayAaron

Very bizarre that the Niners, Ravens, Titans, Pats, Buccs and Bills... playoff teams and championship contenders in some instances... all did this in the last three months if it's something that can't be replicated.

Just own up to it and move on.

bicketybam and Noam like this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't think you understand that he is playing 3d chess while we all struggle with checkers. Only his opinion counts. Who cares about evidence and facts all that matters is his opinion. You are acting like this forum is some sort of discussion or exchange of ideas rather than the ego of a few posters that relentlessly tell us the world is flat because they say so? Get with the program here he will never admit he is wrong or that there is any possibility of any outcome other than what he said 16 months ago. The simple answer is JD sucks, Zach sucks and the Jets suck. No other opinion is allowed.

cval, bicketybam and FJF like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They are a SB caliber team, they need to clear space for their expensive SB caliber roster and potential midseason additions to get over the hump (2021- Von Miller & OBJ).

6. BroadwayAaron

Not denying that part, but the original claim by Brad was that teams only do this once in a decade and that's just painfully false. Then he claimed it's unique to the Rams... which is also painfully false.

bicketybam likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

oh you really got him

8. BroadwayAaron

I know you personally have no issue making things up and pretending they are facts but others aren’t a fan.

Nyjets4eva, bicketybam and Noam like this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Save your energy teammates and try to read that nonsense for amusement only. Reason and facts need not apply to their purpose. There is no future for the Jets. They know that and we don’t.
    What they are now quickly back pedaling about JD clearing cap is this. Yesterday. good teams don’t do that. Today. If you are a good or great team is reasonable to protect the cap to continue to get better later in the season and stay on top, but if you are not, you should maximize the cap immediately, give yourself little or no cushion, and let it go, so if something goes wrong you are hosed and so what. You have a long way to go anyway.
    Brilliant. So the good teams get better and the rest get worst. And of course that only applies to teams that do good in the later rounds to boot.
    Translation. No matter what JD does is worthless, Zach sucks, the CS is inadequate, Jets will go nowhere, same all line different day. Good teams will continue to be good and bad teams will never get better. What a massive pile of non partisan BS.

hornblower, Noam and Nyjets4eva like this.
  10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Since the middle of March the Giants rstructured for about $20M in cap space, the Browns about $15M, Bills about $12.7M. Some teams in worse cap space have to start sooner to have cap room to sign their picks and FAs. Jets cleared $11.9M

LAJet likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

Once in a decade occurrence

Noam and FJF like this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Seriously…teams do this ALL THE TIME

such a non issue I seriously don’t understand the pages and pages of back and forth on it

it’s funny, because the NFL has a “hard cap” which I like as it helps to even the playing field unlike sports like baseball. However, we hear all kinds of talk about “cap hell” and yet funny enough, every team somehow manages to get under the cap every year. Do some players get let go than otherwise wouldn’t? Sure. But strangely enough, teams somehow manage to keep the players they want to keep. This is one way of managing to that.

to criticize this move, which again HAPPENS ALL THE TIME, without even knowing why or what JD is planning for longer term is just silly … it’s just complaining for the sake of hearing your own voice

LAJet likes this.
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

That is what these posters do. They make stuff up and then argue ridiculous arguments non-stop. They have been doing it continuously now for 1.5 years. Their conclusion and agenda is that Zach sucks, JD sucks, the Jets suck and the rest of us are idiots. This always remains the same the only things that changes slightly are the arguments they make up to justify their conclusions. In one sense you have to admire their dedication to continuously spamming their agenda. NYJunc would be proud of them. No matter how ridiculous the argument they will continue to argue it. This is Junc at his best when he was arguing that the Jets would regret trading Herm and his spamming that Sanchez was a great QB and how the rest of us were too stupid to understand his high level of football knowledge.

#473 Noam, Sep 7, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    bicketybam, Jets79 and hornblower like this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

Some people would much rather lie to themselves so they can be even more miserable and we're just trying to help them by providing facts.

Jets79, LAJet and Noam like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

LOL.. And we do have a few here than will be awarded the HOF in that category.

Noam likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Is today the big day when our starting QB for Sunday gets named? I would wait a bit longer.

Noam likes this.
  17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I believe Saleh said he would name the starter today.

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Maybe some of you gals should go look for another sandbox to play in where divergent opinions won't cause you such suffering.

Ralebird likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

People love this crutch, but it's a broken crutch. Divergent opinions are more than welcome but if they are factually incorrect, they are going to get annihilated. I don't understand what the issue is with wanting people to not make shit up out of thin air.

20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

So you know, I love coming here and having great discussions…difference of opinions is fine and we all learn from being able to see other points of view. But some of these ongoing diatribes about stupid shit are kind of crazy.

so for example, I really like how JD has managed this rebuild overall, but I also have some issues, primarily with his faith in Becton this offseason and that I would have expected our OL to be in better shape coming into year 3, and I’m not convinced Zach is a sure thing either, but overall I think he’s done a pretty good job…these talks about his record, while I absolutely get that in the end wins are the only measure that matters, I think is premature when we all knew we needed a tear down and rebuild and I don’t think anyone can realistically say a rebuild should deliver wins right away….can’t have it both ways. Seems like a lot of criticism about how we’ve never done a rebuild and that’s why we suck because a halfway rebuild like Mac tried to do is not sustainable, and yet here we are with a true tear down to the studs and rebuild, really only coming onto year 2 with the new coach and QB, and people are saying we need to judge JD on wins and losses so far. Uhm…ok. Sorry that doesn’t work. Yes judge on wins of course, but you also need to be able to see what is happening…we should see more wins this year and especially so next year if we’re honest about a rebuilding effort.

on Zach, I’m not as high on him as many others are…I saw some good eye test flashes last year, but honestly I saw a lot more bad than good. Too many throws into the dirt to open receivers…too many bad decisions…too many inaccurate throws. I’m concerned. However, I also know he was playing with scrubs half the time, and he had a rookie coaching staff, so ok he gets some benefit of the doubt here. I think he has potential and I hope he develops into the QB we need. I’m just not sure yet. But great, he’ll get the chance to improve with a much better supporting cast. I’m hopeful.

but those are all things we can discuss in an open way…each point of view has merit.
    But some of this other stuff just makes no sense to me…

K'OB likes this.