The Official Cutdown Day Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You are right - I didn't realize teams actually can have different MAX CAP figures each year. I have read about this now: https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/02/browns-lead-nfl-in-salary-cap-carryover and learned something new. This was a bit surprising, but good to know. I think now I have closed the gap on this, thanks to you, @Noam and @FJF. It took only 3 of you, not 5-6 though as you mentioned :) Even better move by JD!

KingRoach, JetFanInNE, jixxjr and 2 others like this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I see very few people ever admit they are wrong. Very impressive post. Thank you for restoring my faith in humanity. This is what the forum should be about exchanging information and making us all smarter. I have read lots of posts by you where I have learned much. Thank you. But, again I am more impressed by your humble post above. It should be a lesson for us all. Thank you!

FJF and Borat like this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Not sure I understand the angst over this move, which is pretty standard…we moved cap hit from this year into the future, in a league where the cap tends to go up every year … this is pretty standard

I guess it’s just a slow time for news…

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No more angst. @Borat got himself tangled up for a minute but he got himself sorted out. This thread should die it’s natural death now

KingRoach and Noam like this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Standard for the Jets.

Most teams don't get themselves into a position where they have to renegotiate contracts to provide cap room. It's the end state of a free agent splurge, like 3-4 years down the road, and the Jets are always in that end state. Most teams might be there once a decade.

6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

FJF and themorey like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is so insanely out of touch I don’t even know how to respond. “Most teams might be there once in a decade” could not be further from the truth. Here are the facts if you care to look into them:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/restructure/

FJF likes this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good Lord this is so far off the wall wrong. It was properly explained here time and time again. There is just no upper limit for some to take a savvy move and turn it into the ultimate negative.

FJF likes this.
  9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Yea man, can't say I'm an off-season junkie and even I know this is pretty false. The Rams are in cap hell every year and then they somehow get space to sign big name guys.

Good teams play the cap year to year as well as the long game, it's just not one or the other.

KingRoach and FJF like this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I see the Jets at $14.88M while most teams are clearing like $3M-$6M. Nobody else is clearing even $9M.

11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

To anyone reading the thread, the above post by Brad is also just not true.

I recommend checking that link provided and looking for yourself.

FJF likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

Common trait in most threads

KingRoach likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

First, read again. Second, we’re clearing that much because we added void years which you aren’t seeing in almost all of those transactions, most of which are more than the $6 mil ceiling you for some reason placed on everything.

14. BroadwayAaron

We have a real problem with letting go of good players to keep bad ones (Ty Johnson) and sign bad ones (Conor McDermott)

K'OB and themorey like this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I agree, Ty has had his chance and not done enough to justify a squad place.

Maybe McDermott is going to be the new EZ target for ZW :)

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Figured McDermott would be back and we wouldn’t keep 4rbs on the 53. They kept knight out of the hungry hungry hippo portion of waivers , should be able to get him on to the ps now.

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

I'm very concerned about the OL - as in most years. year 2 of a young QB is MOST important and if the OL isn't up to snuff it can dictate disaster for the QB.
    Yes on paper it's better but lets see it translate and avoid the injury bugs.

LAJet likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Quite a predictable move don’t you think. Conor is nothing but near term insurance till we improve the depth. Ty Johnson might be released in a few weeks after #20 gets his feet wet in a game or two. I would not be surprised if White gets released or traded down the line during the season. I’m still hopeful a surprise trade happens soon for OL

Noam likes this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

As much as it sucks to lose Knight, we needed more depth at tackle. Yeah, McDermott sucks, but he is better than Edoga, knows the system, and we just can't go into the season with Max as the only back-up T.

I really hope we can get Knight back onto PS, and who knows, a few more drops by Ty, and Zonovan could be elevated over him. It's hard to get over Ty's drops though, even though as a runner he has been OK. I still can't forget against Saints Zach threw a soft pass to his chest wide open and he managed to drop it somehow. It does kill the entire momentum, especially with a young QB. Last year Ty had 7 drops on 34 catches. This is unacceptable. Before that though, in his career he had 2 drops on 40 catches, including no drops on 16 catches in 2020. Hopefully last year was an aberration. If he keeps dropping balls though, waive him and bring on the Knight.

20. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Jets held onto Knight fearing he would not clear waivers. Now that we're a week removed from the initial waiver wire activity, it's a slightly less risky move trying to get him to the practice squad. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if he's scooped up.