The Official Cutdown Day Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 29, 2022.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This is an ignorant post, you’re clearly not accounting for the starters sitting week 18 to rest before the playoffs.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

None claimed doesn’t mean no claims submitted.

Noam likes this.
  3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I feel like this will be a good chunk of our PS.

Anae
    Marshall
    Jackson
    Charles
    Yeboah
    Hermanns
    Hamsah

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It was a name I remembered from those predraft games but I don't think he is the ex TE turned OT, will have to go and check the draft games section to see if I posted it in there now lol

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

True but 4th on the list we are high in the picking order. But 7 players claimed. There years that we could cut all our starters and maybe we would not have had 7 players claimed.

FJF and KY Jets Fan like this.
  6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The proof is in the pudding. If our defense is near the bottom of the league again it will not be a good look for our defense of strategy and coaching staff.

ColoradoContrails, SOJAZ and Jets79 like this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We keep beating on the Jets for releasing players that are picked up by other teams. Aside from may be retaining Davis, who apparently the CS disagrees with the fans, there isn't one more casualty that would have replaced our current 53 and we are not done yet. Year one JD got crucified by his draft and quote lack of talent, now because we let go of talent. Go figure. We will miss a couple of guys for sure, but that is the business of improving the staff. I will miss Pinnock . The rest was inevitable.

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Having 11 cuts picked up on waivers might not only speak to this teams talent depth but might also speak to how well the CS have coached up these young players to develop them enough where other teams might want them. One of the reasons the Jets hired extra assistant coaches last year and this year was to help develop young players knowing the team would have so many young players. That and you have the CS, FO and scouts all working to develop these young players. A prime example that came out today is the FO in Hogan suggesting to Middelton last year that Cager switch to TE.

10. JetsCuseYanksFan

5 of the 7 claimed were defense, and most of them defensive backs. We already knew our defensive line was strong, but with Sauce and Reed I’m feeling like our secondary is going to be very good as well. I saw a glimpse in the Giants game, no throws to Sauce and lots of stuff underneath. Clean that up, and we will easily have a top 10 defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azhar80 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The waiver claims are not really indicative of anything. It is not a simple - I like him, let's claim him. You have to take on their existing contract. The Jets have no money for claims and all those guys claimed were cheap for other teams.

Pinnock was a stupid move though, you spend all that time and effort teaching him a new position so he can play somewhere else. Just another example of the divide that exists here between the staff and the front office

12. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Three corners and Pinnock have been picked up so hopefully our DBs stay healthy. Parks is only DB who has been in our system. There will be newbies on the practice squad.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yes and some of those newbies will see the field at some point in the 17 week grind.

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The preseason legend is back on the Jets PS.

15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think most here would have kept either Pinnock or Parks over Davis…me included. I get that Davis may have more raw talent or athleticism than those two, and maybe the coaches want to keep developing him if they think he has a higher ceiling, but I’ve not seen him make any impact in two years so to me it just seems like he was kept because after cutting so many from that class (Perine, Zuniga, Hamseh) it may have looked pretty bad for JD and that’s what saved Davis. But I think most of us would’ve been fine with just cutting that entire draft…jeez a couple years later we have a punter, a backup corner, and whatever the hell becomes of Becton (which to me is pretty much nothing at this point after missing two full seasons) to show for that draft. Pretty brutal and almost as bad as the infamous Idzik 14.

I would’ve also kept Guidry and kept one fewer DL, most likely Sheppard as I’ve seen enough of his offside penalties…I think I’m good, thanks. Shit why not field a defense with 11 fucking DL. I don’t understand this roster construction, and I’m still frustrated that we have Mitchell as our backup OT…I’m assuming something is coming in the way of help there…

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As will S Parks and maybe Zuniga

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Interestingly 4 of the 11 players were claimed by teams we play in the first four weeks and 2 of the 11 were claimed by teams we had joint practices with.

IDFjet likes this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I like your assessment in general but don't agree with the bold. All that means to me is that after the first draft, he has significantly improved the team across the board and as such they didn't make the cut. A poor draft in retrospect but clearly corrected in the last two. Don't think keeping Davis has much to do at all with JD saving face, but rather stemming from the CS input. While I'm scratching my head about not retaining Pinnock I do feel that unless proven otherwise, the disconnect is with the DC inputs and his ability to taylor the game to players strength. However, I feel that negotiations to improve that position are in work, which might impact Davis ability to stay on the roster.

20. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm an asshole, but oddly enough, I find it completely amusing that fans are setting themselves on fire because we are keeping Ashyton Davis.