The Official Cutdown Day Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 29, 2022.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If only there was a thread where we could talk about the guys that got cut today

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

5 IOL and 3 OT, a little thin. I expect at least one more move via trade in that area.

Jets79, ColoradoContrails and mrjet80 like this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Happy they kept Bam over Coleman. Some of these moves are puzzling though.

themorey likes this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Fair assessment and I noticed the same thing. Overall this team is improving … slowly but surely.

hornblower likes this.
  5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Why not keep all 4? Coleman is better than Ty in my opinion. RBs get dinged up and it seems it’s a committee approach for now. I know it’s a numbers game but 11 DL? And OT needs another couple of bodies - young bodies.

But glad they dumped Edoga finally …

#225 mrjet80, Aug 30, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Hardee is the 6th CB. Pretty sure I noticed him getting snaps on defense, but not sure how he fared. More reason it's surprising they didn't keep Pinnock as he has CB/S versatility.

Also, they must be pleased with Max Mitchell that they cut McDermott and Edoga. Or they just realized they both suck and will add somebody else.

7. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

The Jets, as usual, made some baffling keeps, and some suspect cuts. Silver lining, at least there's no more Wesco

#227 Will-I-Am-Not, Aug 30, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
    SOJAZ and Nyjets4eva like this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The degree to which Saleh and Ulbrich are married to this view that DL need to be constantly fresh and rotating is nuts. Are they capable of objectivity? Do they not realize their defenses sucked in SF until they got Bosa?

SF defense ranking in points per game allowed during Saleh's time there:

25th
    28th
    7th (drafted Bosa this year)
    17th (Bosa missed all but one game with an injury)

This has long been forgotten but 49ers fans were almost unanimously calling for Saleh to be fired after his first two years.

PJ4Ever and Acad23 like this.
  9. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah early still and more moves to come, but I would’ve kept Pinnock over Davis and I’m not sold on Joyner..I also liked Parks…I think safety is a weakness for us.

but to regroup

QB no surprise really….Streveler made a good show against scrubs but I’d bring him to the PS

RB slight surprise at Coleman being cut as he also returned kicks…good to see Bam, but Johnson/Coleman is a tossup and a bit surprised that we don’t have that FB/Hybrid role

WR no surprises it’s a pretty good group as long as we don’t get injuries

TE probably most improved position, and Cager is almost like a WR

OL this is where I’m sure moves are coming…we need OT help in a bad way…Edoga wasn’t great but Mitchell can’t be our only tackle backup

DL I liked Smart and Marshall so im surprised we kept Sheppard…seems like the only time I hear his name called is for a penalty…I also liked what I saw out of Anae but we have numbers at edge…I’m expecting some moves here as we have a glut here and weaknesses elsewhere

LB well no surprises really but 5 LB seems too few and we don’t have solid depth really

CB feels like 5 is too few…we let decent players like Guidry and Dunn go, but not saying they should have stayed ahead of who we did keep…but maybe should have stayed instead of keeping 11 DL

S I think is a weakness regardless of who we kept…outside of Whitehead we have scrubs…Joyner hasn’t played and hasn’t looked great when he did…Davis is fast but that’s it…I think Pinnock showed more but I think we need help at S

to me we are weak at S, we are too thin at OL, and we need help at LB

overall better than we’ve been in recent years, but our rebuild is not done yet…

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very nice summary. I suspect some of the shortcomings, I.e. S and LB will be rectified by adding new folks. I’m less optimistic but extremely hopeful we land OL depth. Not much out there unless we trade a DL of some value.

11. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

I see a lot of us are surprised Ty Johnson wasnt cut. He has always been a solid runner and wr, so he can play 3 downs (probably will be a 3rd down option). Ty has always rushed over 4 ypc besides last yr (3.9) which was a terrible Jets team. He is still young and has good hands, speed, and elusiveness.

Unfortunately for Coleman his injury history likely cost him a spot. He just seems to always get hurt. Knight looks like a keeper, but we have to see him play vs the big boys. If Knight performs, I wouldn't be surprised if Jets cut/trade Ty. But Ty has shown ability to play during his time with us, I'm not surprised he made the team.

Nyjets4eva, BacktoQueens and abyzmul like this.
  12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I’m glad Adams and Knight both made the team as UDFA’s. They both played well this preseason and kept standing out.
    That makes 9 rookies on the 53.
    This rookie class is best I can remember.
    Draft and UDFA was really an A+

Can’t complain too much overall at the cut downs, but I will a little anyway ;)
    Streveler should be on the team and not Flacco.
    Definitely would’ve kept either Parks or Pinnock over Davis.
    Surprised only keeping 8 OL.
    JD doubling down on some past mistakes there imo, rather than moving in a new direction.

Also Curry not worth keeping, as we have good DE depth.
    DT depth and quality is still pretty bad.
    IOL depth non existent.
    Would have kept Guidry at the slot too.
    Are we going no FB?

Very happy they kept Ty Johnson and Knight over Coleman.
    Happy for Cager that he made the team after the position conversion.

tomdeb, JetFanInPA and azhar80 like this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah don’t understand Curry seems like he’s always hurt…don’t understand Sheppard he’s like a penalty machine…don’t understand Davis he hasn’t made a great play in two years here…and don’t understand Mitchell as the only backup OT

again I do think moves are coming … at least they better be…

14. BacktoQueens

Agreed. Ty Johnson is a very good system fit also. I’m glad he and Knight made team.

azhar80 likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

Agreed with your points other than Sheppard.
    I’d have been surprised if he didn’t make the team.
    He’s the only NT on the roster and the teams overall DT depth is very poor. We gonna get run on all year as it is.

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yah but he’s not really a NT is he? He’s not like a Snacks Harrison type body…we don’t really have a true NT and yah our run D sucked last year and I have a hard time seeing how we’ll be much better this year

tomdeb and Nyjets4eva like this.
  17. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

he’s not very good and any body could hold that spot hopefully we find someone to replace him. Also can’t believe Pinnock got cut and he looked good at safety last year and also can play CB which Hardee can’t and would of saved 2m plus

18. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

LOL

SOJAZ likes this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He must have nude pictures of Saleh and Ulrich. Davis makes no impact plays. Hope the Jets pick up Tony Jefferson on waiver or the UDFA safety from Illinois can eventually take his spot. Jefferson can play safety, in the slot and cornerback.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Earl Morral. He was a gangster dude had to be about 45 and yet he would come in and destroy teams. Shula bought him with him after the Colts fired him after the Jets beat them in Super Bowl III.

K'OB likes this.