the Official Abraham thread!! - Post them here! - Merged

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NY Vilmaniac, Mar 18, 2006.

1. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Here's the deal the way I understand it:

The Falcons, let s say, do have only until next Friday to negotiate with JA directly. That would be if they were going to sign him and as per the CBA, send two first round draft picks back to the Jets. That was never a possibility. this was always going to be a sign and trade deal.... where the jets get a deal done with Atlanta, JA signs with the Jets, then gets traded to the Falcons. Instead of a signing bonus, it's turned into a roster bonus, so that the NFL has time to approve the trade, and the Falcons take the cap hit for the entire contract, including the roster bonus.

Now, here is what's changed: The old CBA had the same deadline for the origianl team to sign a tagged player... two weeks in the start of FA. If they didn't sign the player, they would have to wait until July 15 to sign him or:
    1. Lose the ability to apply the tag to another player for the DURATION of his new contract, even if he gets traded.
    2. Even if he signed, in JA's case, the Jets would still carry the tag price of 8.3 mil against their cap until July 15.

NOW, with the new CBA, the Jets can sign JA at anytime up until July 15 when new rules come into play. They don't lose their tag, they don't take a cap hit. This is the part of the new CBA that the beat writers havent picked up on, but is at least partially explained in the SI link I posted.

I hope that clarifies it.

2. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

I love your avatar. Nice set. :)

3. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

Thanks TBJ. A great and very important clarification.

It's really embarassing journalistically that the beat writers for a team would not know the details about the most important issue currently on that teams agenda.

Good work. (I would put in one of those yellow thumbs up things but I have no idea how to)

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

3/19 Dailiy News (Meyers) take on Abe & QB

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/story/400836p-339602c.html

For QB take follow the link. For Abe take read below.

Meyers:

The Jets, whose cap trouble before free agency was overstated because of some easily deleted incentive clauses, are now $14 million under and that includes carrying John Abraham's $8.3 million franchise tag. That gives them plenty of flexibility to make some free-agent deals after the wild spending around the league calms down. Here's one of them: They should sign Abraham to a long-term deal. Pass rushers are impossible to find. The Giants locked up Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora. Abraham is worth more to the Jets than they can get in a trade.

5. lightning

lightning Active Member

aaaarrrggggghhh....my eyes!!!

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Seriously, man. When people dread opening your posts because of that picture, it may be time for a change. Gawd.

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I would LOVE for him to be here a long time.

Many of us know his worth and talent but some are blinded by what they read in the papers.

8. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Yeah, PFT (ProFootballTalk) a much maligned site because they report rumors very early on, and as a result, get some stuff wrong, are on the other hand VERY good with the CBA, the NFLPA and NFL offices when it comes to stuff like this. I tried to find the report in their "Rumor Mill" section where they called Bob Glauber of Newsday out for not knowing this new rule in the new CBA, but it's too old to be on the main page, and not old enough to be in their archives yet.

I'm no genius, but that was where I first read about it, and the SI article is the only other place I could find it. (Google sucks)

9. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Ahh,just re-sign the guy. He played a full season. Give him a contract and lets try and keep some of our key defense intact.

10. MondayMiracle40-37OT

I can't stand Gary Meyers. I read the whole article, not just that little blurb. He says that the Jets even though they got Ramsey should still get Leinart. Then why did you trade for Ramsey??? He hates Pennington and thats it. He thinks there is NO hope for him recovering.

About Abraham, we should sign him long term. We have enough money to get it done. Lets just do it.

11. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Yeah, I actually agree. Signing Abe to a long-term deal might not be a bad choice. The problem would be if Abe would want to be here at this point. I have doubts that the bridge might be burned already.

12. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

I would have loved to have kept him, but I doubt he wants to stay here after not getting the long-term contract when he wanted it.

13. CmartinHOF

CmartinHOF New Member

dude wtf change ur pic thats nasty

14. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i wish we could do it but both the FO and Abraham himself want nothing to do with eachother........

15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

your avatar is stupid and not funny...

16. Coach K

Coach K New Member

thank you Sir.......if i had my way abraham would retire a jet but just doesnt look like that will happen :(

BOO!

17. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

Any draft picks the Jets get for Abraham will be a steal.... for the other team.

And how do you replace 10 1/2 sacks and 6 forced fumbles and a player the opposition always game plans for above any other Jet player? Woody Johnson is too cheap.. the largest signing bonus given to any Jet acquisition since Pennington's contract is the 3.25 million given to Kimo von Whatzzhisname. And that includes Ty Law and Mike Nugent and Justin Miller.

18. RapZiLLa54

RapZiLLa54 New Member

Have Mangini and Tann even considered??

Sign Abraham to a long term deal? I know Abe wants out but he won't leave if they give him a deal equal to Atlanta. Just because he wants out does our FO have to look for a trade or is it because they don't like him for all his money talk in the past years?

19. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Too much water under the bridge

With all the bad feelings between both camps that will never happen.

20. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Have you considered that there are 85 other Abe threads that you could have put this in?

Have you considered that most of us would not even want to read this- but were forced to because you lacked the foresight to give us a decent title to read?