the Official Abraham thread!! - Post them here! - Merged

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NY Vilmaniac, Mar 18, 2006.

1. kuzdav

kuzdav New Member

Does anyone really think Tanginni want to have him as a Jet and pay 8.5 mil to stand around not get hurt? I don't think so, they in the end have settle.

2. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Ellis when Abraham plays: 69 games, 202 tackles, 20 sacks (2.93 tackles/game, 1 sack per 3.45 games)
    Ellis when Abraham doesn't play: 26 games, 86 tackles 16.5 sacks (3.31 tackles/game, 1 sack per 1.58 games)

Ellis is not invisible when Abraham is hurt. Infact, he is more productive when Abraham is hurt.

3. atlantafan1987

atlantafan1987 New Member

Last I checked, Patrick Kerney is a pretty good DE. Abraham is going to have a field day playing in atlanta on a line that has two other pro bowl players in Kerney and Coleman.

4. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I can't even read your posts with that damn avatar. Please change it.

5. AlToon

AlToon Member

Hang tough

NE wanted a #1 for Drew Bledsoe and they waited until the second of the day to complete the trade with Buffalo

McKay was part of the management team in Tampa which surrendered all those picks and cash for Jon Gruden.That deal wasn't completed until mid-February

6. Dinobot 2

Dinobot 2 Active Member

Screw the Falcons. They are ripping us off. I want that Seattle deal.

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Kurt you might be right but Duckett has yet to prove that he is a big time back and Abe has proven he is a big time DE. I would rather keep Abe than trade him for Duckett and a second. I'm not convinced Duckett is an upgrade from Houston.

8. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Two points:

Abraham will be sorely missed. He is the best player on the defesne and the only player other teams have to game plan for. He makes game-changing plays and is the ONLY Jet that can consistently rush the passer. Ellis played almost the entire 2005 season and had 2.5 sacks. That is abysmal for a DE, let alone one who got a huge contract. Abraham is a far better player. Who would you rather have, a player that performs at a pro-bowl level whenever he plays, but has gotten some injuries or one who doesn't get injured but is very inconsistent? I'd take the pro-bowl player in a heartbeat. Much more upside.

Abraham was screwed by the Jets. Let's face it. He wanted a long-term contract and never got one while inferior players all around him got theirs - Chrebet, Testaverde, Fabini, Ellis, Martin, Coles etc. Let's put it another way. You work for company A. You perform at an extraordinary level, but you miss a half year of work because you get some serious illness. You come back and perform at the same high level. Meanwhile, your co-workers who do not perform at your level all get promotions and raises while you don't. Your boss tells you that you will get promoted and paid if you show you are healthy. While the company struggles through a bad year, you perform as well as ever and remain healthy. At the end of the year, you ask for your promotion and the boss tells you he'll think about it and then never talks to you about again. Would you want to stay??????

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is completely incorrect. Before you start accusing people of being dumb, maybe you should check your stats. Almost every time Abe got injured, Ellis racked up sack numbers. I'm not in favor of him leaving, but at least make a valid argument.

10. Rcky_Mtn_Falcon

Rcky_Mtn_Falcon New Member

So let me make sure I understand this, JA has until Friday to negotiate with another team, but the Jets can sign him at any time ?

If that was or is the case, him just waiting until Friday means Seattle can't negotiate with him, unless he is traded there ?

Or does that mean as long as a deal is pending, JA can negotiate with any potential trade partner ?

11. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I wouldn't settle. It might be cutting off my nose to spite my face, but eff him. Let him stay here.

12. Dirtywater

Dirtywater 2005 Award Winner: Best non-Jets fan poster/Best S

No different than over 90% of the players in the NFL today. The majority of you all welcomed Ty Law last season, yet he was seeking the same thing.

You can't hate these guys when it doesn't benefit you and then on the same hand welcome them when it does. The NFL is a business, plain and simple. I hate to See McGinest leave, but hey, he got a fantastic deal with the Browns. So be it.

Lastly, I wouldn't be so quick to say good riddance. When teams played the Jets, he was one of the players you always had to be accountable for. He plays like a monster and his loss is not simply plug and play with another.

All that said, it is frustraiting as a fan to watch players act the way he has.

13. Rcky_Mtn_Falcon

Ummm we actually have 2 other probowlers on the line in Coleman and Kerney, so he'll have plenty of help.

He'll just make one of the better DL in the NFC that much better.

14. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

OK.... the old CBA made it VERYdifficult, virtually impossible to sign and/or trade a tagged player beyond 14 days into the FA period. The team would take a huge cap hit, and if they signed the tagged player before July 15, the would also lose the ability to use the tag on another player until the newly signed contract EXPIRED!

That is what's changed.... the Jets can now sign and trade Abraham after the March 17th deadline. The only March 17 deadline that means anything is the one where another team signs a tagged player, tho team with rights refuses to match, and the new team gets the player but must send two 1st round draft choices back as comp.

That was never on the table here.... this was always a sign and trade deal. The ESPN link at least partially explains this. There is no deadline as it pertains to JA at this point. This also allows Seattle to go through their salary/contract match with Hutchinson. That case did not go to binding arbitration.... it went to a "Special Master". Any decision by a special master can be appealed, not so with an arbitrator, who's decision is binding. that means that either side can appeal tomorrow's decision on the Hutchinson contract.

Edit: To summarize, the Jetst can continue to talk to the Falcons or any other interested team, and part of that would be his contract. In other words, the Jets just become a go between. Negotiations can continue.... what is off the board is any other teams ability to sing a contract with JA, and give up 2 first round picks if the Jets refuse to match. That is the only deadline expiration that happens on Friday, not the chance to sign and trade. The old CBA made it impossible to sign and trade on the same deadline date.... this is what is new here, and what the beat reporters still haven't figured out.

#234 ThunderbirdJet, Mar 19, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  15. Rcky_Mtn_Falcon

Actually it's 18 million guranteed in the first 2 years plus 5 million per, but so far as no shot at the SB. We were in the NFC championship game year before last, and last year we let to many vets go and relied on to many rookies and 2nd year players on the DL. Made it to easy for opponents to rush to our right side after Brady Smith went down.

It's really pretty simple for us. We've got a lot of good, young, talented depth on DL. Now we need an experienced vet or 2, and we'll be right back in the playoffs.

16. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

He screwed himself. He was offered the same contract that Ellis eventually signed, and he turned it down. Let's not paint him to be the victim here, he had an opportunity to sign a long-term deal at fair value for his ability, and he turned it down. It's just a matter of a player being greedy. Whenever he says that all he wants is a long-term contract, it's BS. He wants a long-term contract, AND more money than he is worth.

17. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

On that note what is he worth? Others in the NFL are recieving big money contracts how can you blame Abe?

18. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

He was offered $15M guaranteed. That is more than fair for a player of his caliber.

19. ekaarons

ekaarons Member

espn.com on abraham

espn.com said that the latest on abraham was that the jets are not willing to acommodate abraham on trade to falcons.tannenbaum said that a second round pick is not enough for an all pro like abraham.if the jets do not receive equal value from atlanta then there is no deal.

20. Pride

Pride New Member

Way to stand pat Mike T