The Official 2019-20 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Sep 12, 2019.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, agreed. Both have been presented really well. I wasn't sure how the NHL would look, but it has been fine without the fans. The players are just so competitive. It's impressive. Baseball it is really noticeable not having fans, but it has still been okay. Not sure about the NBA, as I have not watched much of it yet.

MJK likes this.
  2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You guys get a discount at the vowel store?

FinnishJET and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Yeah baseball without fans has been the worst and the production is lacking....the cardboard cut outs of people isn't cutting it. Lol

JetBlue and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Didn't realize just how much of a television show televised hockey is - I don't even notice the lack of fans. I still think hockey is the sport where the superiority of in-person attendance over television is largest, but of the three sports we've seen so far I think it has the least difference on TV with or without fans. The problem with baseball is that the game itself is so quiet that you really notice the lack of crowd noise. I haven't watched much of the NBA, but when I have it just looks like a scrimmage to me, and I'm not sure exactly why. I think football is the sport on TV where fans would make the smallest difference, as long as they pumped in crowd noise on the telecast - fans are the farthest away from the field anyway.

Edit: I realized why baseball doesn't work even with piped-in noise - it's the camera angles. Every shot of the hitter, whether from the centerfield camera or a first or third base camera, makes it obvious that there is no one in the ballpark. That's just so strange-looking it ruins the illusion of normalcy.

#84 statjeff22, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    MJK and JetBlue like this.
  5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Watching the Jets against them Flames just hammers home how tough the Stanley Cup playoffs are (and makes me appreciate the Isles success with Trotz the past two playoffs). Two playoffs ago the Jets looked like a team on the verge of being a true Cup contender, now they look like they are going to go out early again. Granted they’ve had injuries but it’s just so easy to fall from that potential in hockey.

6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

NHL has done an amazing job.
    Covering up all the seats and the large video screens have really made it visually where you do not miss the fans or notice they are missing.

MJK likes this.
  7. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Makes the games feel like a spring training game...the other problem with MLB right now is baseball has so much dead time that the announcers conversations revolve too much around current events ....really not interested in those conversations during the games right now.

8. Section 336

Canes got completely outplayed by Rags in first period but weather the storm.
    NY got rocked by 2 Hurricanes today.
    If you have not seen the Aho goal look it up, may be the best of the playoffs this year. Made Trouba, DeAngelo and Shesterkin look foolish in about 4 seconds.

Reimer was incredible in net.

The Dark Knight and FinnishJET like this.
  9. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

Ha, that's funny because me and my friends joke about exactly the opposite, don't anyone else can afford to buy vowels :D
    By the way, you should see my last name, Tauriainen. Now try to pronounce that correctly :D

10. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

Yes, Aho was again awesome in this game. I think that Aho's line (flanked by Teravainen and Svechnikov) were the difference between these teams, they were excellent in every game in this series.

Section 336 likes this.
  11. JetBlue

Tavares turnover completes the up 3-0 choke for the Leafs. Couldn’t happen to a more deserving asshole.

12. The Dark Knight

Someone check on Gary Bettman. He can't be feeling too well losing Crosby and McDavid in the same day!

Section 336 likes this.
  13. statjeff22

And Columbus returns the favor with its own 3-0 choke job.

14. JetBlue

Terrible penalty to call in OT but the Jackets have no one else to blame for the other 3 to tie it.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  15. statjeff22

Yes, I thought the penalty call was very weak also.

16. Section 336

Interesting that both 5th seeds get knocked out and one of the sixth.

If playoff seeding was as season ended the Isles would have had Tampa, so either way I think they are better off.
    The Hurricanes would have had Washington and it still may up being so.

For both of them I am not sure which matchup preferable.
    For the Canes I think Caps series could be a fun series. They have the confidence that they can win while the Caps will have some payback in mind. I think the Canes can match up with their scoring better than Isles. Hamilton back at practice hopefully ready to go.

I am not sure what to think of the Bruins. Maybe Tomorrow’s game will tell if they will be the team from the regular season, but if they don’t find their game and motivation they might be the easier opponent of the 2.
    Canes will have rematch either way and hopefully another with the Isles down the road.

If Habs land Tampa which I think will happen, it could be really ugly.
    Philly should be safe as well.

#96 Section 336, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  17. JetBlue

It’s officially playoff time... and once again John Tavares will be watching them from home.

$11 million dollar man, indeed.

18. The Dark Knight

While the Isles continue to succeed..........

Makes me wonder about the #1 pick tomorrow night. Who would Bettman want to give it to more? The Penguins, Maple Leafs or Oilers?

Section 336 likes this.
  19. statjeff22

Rangers, of course. The league would like Toronto to win, of course, but they already have loads of offensive talent. The NHL would love for the Cup to come back to NYC after 26 years.

20. JetBlue

If the NHL is going to Ewing this draft, I suspect it would be the Oilers, a market that truly has to build through the draft.