The Official 2019-20 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Sep 12, 2019.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I’m the opposite. Watching last night only reinforced the prospect that when TB gets going nobody can beat them. TB can win 5-4 like they did against the Leafs, or 2-1 like they did against the Leafs. They can score when they need to, and adjust their game and just play defense.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I guess every situation is different. I expected the Rangers to do that to Tampa Bay, actually. Partly due to my complete bias that Florida is a fraud. They set Tampa back a little. Whereas, I don't think it will be a big deal for Colorado.

Plus Point hasn't even returned yet. He is a difference maker. If Tampa turns it on (which it looked like they did last night) then they could definitely be a problem for the Avalanche.

3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

4. The Dark Knight

Saw this on Twitter and immediately thought of @JetBlue! :D

JetBlue likes this.
  5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

6. JetBlue

This series is the hockey reincarnation of Knicks Bulls in ‘93. Go up 2-0 on the two-time defending champs, then let game 5 stay close and lose it at the end. Strome’s whiff was the hockey equivalent of “go up strong, Charles Smith!”

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Icelander fans must be in heaven.

8. JetBlue

All year I’ve told my son the Lightning wouldn’t win three in a row. All year he has said Tampa is going to win.

I have TB in 6.

He says TB in 4.

9. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

11. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I guess Rangers fans were wrong. Eye Gore isn't better.

12. The Dark Knight

This is a great match-up for the NHL. The Back To Back Stanley Cup Champs vs the Best Team in the NHL.

Colorado is too good. Tampa Bay has been resilient, and that really is impressive, but they don't look the same as they did last year or in the bubble. The heart of a champion is tough to beat though. They are beyond battle tested too. The Avalanche? Not so much. So it makes my Cup pick tougher.

I have said the Avalanche all along, and will stick with it, but Tampa is getting right at the right time too. Definitely a toss up. I will say Avalanche in 7. I want to say 5, but Tampa was impressive against the Rangers.

JetBlue likes this.
  13. JetBlue

Avs look rusty.

14. The Dark Knight

Pretty good Game 1. I liked Tampa's response to settle in and tie it 3-3. Former Cap Andre Burakovsky with the Game winner in OT was cool to see. Can't wait for Game 2!

15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

So far in his career, Igor Shesterkin has the lowest number of goals allowed in expected goal situations, 20 less than Demko and Vasilevskiy. His playoff performance also puts him much better than every other goalie.

I do however think, Igor and Vasilevskiy are 1a/1b when it comes to goaltending. Those two are the best then there’s everyone else. It’s okay to admit it, even though you’re a Fishtick fan. :p

16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I think you have to give it to Vasilevskiy as the best in game ( although he didn't look good in game 1 vs the Avs) as he has been one of the main reasons why the Lightning have won 11 straight playoff series and back to back Cups. I do think Shesterkin is very good although I am very happy the Isles have Sorokin as he is right there with him IMHO. The one thing I will say about the Rangers is they need to fix their defense. Fox is elite but they rely on Shesterkin to bail them out to much. I don't know if its lack of overall talent or the system they play with the forwards not doing a good enough job in the D zone to help out the D. If they get stronger on defense then I think they will have an excellent chance to Cup within the next few seasons as their window to win is wide open. I hate saying that being an Isles fan.

17. JetBlue

The Avs were the better team but could only muster an OT win, and were lucky for that (I thought Hedman was going to win it short handed on that breakaway in the final seconds).

I'm not convinced the Avs can play better against the Lightning, but I think the Lightning can play better against the Avs. if that's the case, this is still the Lightning's series to lose.

18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Vasilevskiy is fantastic. I don’t think the “Igor’s Better” chants are that outlandish though. Like I said, they’re 1a/1b.

Royal Tee likes this.
  19. The Dark Knight

I don't see a team losing 7-0, then winning 4 of the next 5, but Tampa Bay needs to step up tonight to make it a series. Otherwise, this will be quick.

20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

For the first time in 11 playoff series TB is not the better team here. Its seems as though the Avs have figured out Vasilevskiy. If he can't bring his "A" game then this will be a sweep. It's not all his fault though as the Avs have been all over the Lightning. My guess is TB gets a game at home but that's it. I see the Avs winning in 5 at this point.