The offensive line is not good

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 26, 2022.

1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Again, it is mind-boggling that this team had FOUR picks in the top 75, and opted to spend NONE of them on their biggest weakness. I am NOT knocking any of the players they did pick, but that is just baffling to me.

SOJAZ, Jojo and Jets79 like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Woof, but I guess that's just kinda what happens when you have your 5th string OT out there.

No way McDermott can start next week. IDC what it takes but he can't be protecting Zach's blindside.

3. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

AVT...our sole beacon of hope on the OL in these dark times.

FJF, cval and Cman68 like this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

5. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

The WR reverse needs to go out the window. They’ve run that play more in three weeks than I’ve seen it ever.

FJF likes this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Here is a horrible read by Flacco.
    Duane Brown
    That was actually a bad run. Missed the hole created by those two.

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

James Daniels was an option who was paid far less as an FA. And he's a back-up center too.

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is a forum man, the point of it is to talk about the Jets.

What's the alternative? Shut it down until after week 10?

Ralebird, IDFjet, Centiment and 5 others like this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I didn’t think Mitchell was that bad and should only get better with reps. The left side on the other hand was atrocious thank god watt is out or there would be a real chance of a death on the field next week. The only hole right now is brown gets back soon and plays at his normal level and raises the play of Tomlinson as well.

Borat, IDFjet and Lon Chaney like this.
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Tomlinson is a bum that only looked good next to a pro bowl tackle in SF.

We should cut him at the end of the season eating the rest of his signing bonus before his salary goes to $12 mil next year.

If Max Mitchell can kick inside to guard signing or drafting a tackle fixes two of our holes.

Fant looked good last year so his problem could be having to cover for Tomlinson or it could be that he overachieved last year.

McGovern is the least of our worries but he could be upgraded.

Becton being out for the season once might have justified a second chance, twice in a row is not a coincidence.

SOJAZ and Jojo like this.
  12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Anyone have any theories as to why Fant is hurt as much as his is? It's not like he's 400 pounds.

13. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

The left side may be in trouble but Max Mitchell can be on my team any time he wants to.

He almost pulled off a miracle hustle fumble recovery AGAIN this week towards the end of the game he tried to tackle the returning Bengals player, ended up on the ground, but was he out of the play? Nope. He 100% kept going as hard as he could, got back up, resumed the "hopeless" chase only to have the guy fumble and the only reason Mitchell wasn't right there for the recovery is because one of our own guys inadvertently knocked him out of the way. That was it for me. I'm a fan.

He needs to rub some habits off onto John Franklin-Meyers.

14. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I hate to be looking that far into the future, but the o-line needs to be addressed big time in the ‘23 draft. No more weapons, just straight up trench warriors.

Jojo and Jets79 like this.
  15. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I agree, but I want to expand further: They need to explore EVERY possible avenue for improvement: Draft, trades, Free agency. This can not be ignored any longer.

Jojo, Jets79, Cman68 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It might have nothing to do with it, but he never played this amount of football in Seattle. 71%, 35%, 43% of snaps his first three years. Now he’s a full timer for his third consecutive year.

17. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Fant playing so poorly is really disappointing. Same with Tomlinson - he's been a solid LG for years so I don't know what's up with him. But given his track record, you have to hope his play starts to improve. AVT looks legit and Mitchell has help up okay. Don't think McGovern is doing too poorly. What really scares me is who the hell plays LT if Fant is out? McDermott doesn't even look like a practice squad player.

Jets79 likes this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The alternative is to have a rational conversation. If you think the only thing to talk about is how your opinion was correct after one game have at it and I will just use the ignore feature if need be. I would rather talk about what we need to do to get better and make observations on the game.

I told you the line sucked and JD is a horrible GM and Saleh is a horrible coach. I said it before we hired him he sucked. We beat the Browns with a couple good breaks and we talk about how great Saleh is etc etc and we are going to the playoffs is just as bad.

There are a lot of people that just look at stats and generalizations with out looking at the nuances of the game. There was a few key mistakes and plays that change an NFL game. It seems the Jets keep making them.

19. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Nope. I was told that the offensive line was "fixed," there was no reason to draft a tackle in the first round, and that our offensive line was "Top 10." Also, Douglas is an offensive line "guru."

20. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Maybe we can trade Corey Davis for an offensive tackle? Or maybe to a team like Green Bay for a draft pick (that we could use on an offensive tackle)?