The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think Joe Brady would be interesting. He got to eat humble pie in Carolina after being the hot ticket following Burrow’s Heisman year.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Now this is what I like to see. The Jets actually getting bold and creative and expanding the search to include all kinds of candidates.

That's the right way to do this thing. Cast a wide net, do your research on each guy and make a selection.

I'll shut up now cuz I don't want to jinx this but they are going about this the right way for once. Wow.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

ROFL ..
    I am reading all the Posts and the thing I notice is that the TGG is a well informed bunch..splitting hairs on possible or probable OC candidates

The sad part about all this is all of might know more about what you doing than Robert Saleh and Joe Douglas

Sorry but the Top Down FO and Woody are incompetent dummies that will most likely yield an incompetent result

Now if Woody was smart he would have kept his mouth shut and waited till the playoffs are over and then see if a Harbaugh or Payton or a brilliant Coach presents himself to be our brilliant decision maker

Obviously "mad" Johnson want so angry after all and will give the present nincompoop leadership another year ..of WHAT.???Saleh and JD have a DISASTOUS track record but here we are once again hoping and believing like sunshiners all this is gonna change in 2023 >>pretty pretty pretty bad

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Outside of a guy like Reich or Kubiak who are not coming, Joe Brady sounds like a great choice.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It wouldn't surprise me if Woody is still considering firing Saleh if he can get the right HC to come here. I'm not saying that's what I'm hoping for, but it might be what happens.

Jojo likes this.
  6. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

you really think so? I think that ship sailed when he only got rid of MLF. If so why not just do it all at once?

Jojo and Cman68 like this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Why? He was never even an OC in College. Got an OC gig in Carolina with Rhule and finished with 24th and 29th offenses. Basically exactly like MILF. If we do that might as well kept MILF. We gotta strive to do better.

burf likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

That's probably true, but it occurred to me that maybe they haven't been able to speak to the HC candidates they might prefer. IDK, probably just my overactive imagination but it wouldn't surprise, that's all.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  9. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Would that really surprise anyone, if they hired him! So Jets like

Cman68 likes this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its starting to look that way IMO. Woody should have ordered JD to clean house and bring in an established HC/OC to run things on the field. Woody is the boss and should have just made the entire change happen instead of doing it in stages. Saleh knows his time here as HC is dependent on '23 and is on the clock regarding who he hires as MLF's replacement. If he hires some unproven, inexperienced coordinator as OC, he just sealed his fate as HC of the NYJ's.

11. ColoradoContrails

The thing is, why are they saying they're leaving the hiring of an OC up to Saleh - at least publicly? I get that ideally a HC should know enough about all facets of the game to be able to hire someone who is good at offensive coaching and can also work well with him, but the fact is Saleh is NOT well versed in offense which is why we're at this juncture. Douglas should be the guy running this search. I trust his judgment on this more than Saleh's.

And the more I think about this whole thing, I'm leaning towards firing Saleh too and getting an experienced, proven winner in as HC and let him hire a staff.

burf, Cman68 and papapump like this.
  12. JetsNation06

Sure because there's all of those proven, experienced head coaches lining up to take over the Jets. Also because there's all of those great defensive minds out there.

Do you think this defense would have shown nearly the dramatic improvement they did without Saleh?

Enjoy going back to your merry go wheel of suckitude when they fire Saleh after only 2 years when he has improved the team's record and dramatically improved their defense into one of the best in the league.

The Jets are on the cusp of the playoffs and you want to tear it down again now? Sounds like you have an unwarranted axe to grind with Saleh.

He's not the problem, he's clearly part of the solution and the stats back that up. Hate to burst your bubble, the Jets have no plans of firing Saleh.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

Sounds to me like you have a reading comprehension problem. I've stated numerous times that I'm not advocating for firing Saleh, nor do I particularly want to start over, OTOH, this may be what Woody/Douglas are thinking, and I do see why maybe there's some merit in that.

Ideally, they find an OC with proven, successful experience, especially working with young QBs (if they're actually going to keep Wilson), and keep Saleh. That would be my preference, but I'm skeptical that Saleh should be the one making this decision given how he apparently didn't notice that the offense wasn't working for the past 2 years.

14. JetsNation06

Lol you just said in your previous post, "And the more I think about this whole thing, I'm leaning towards firing Saleh too and getting an experienced, proven winner in as HC and let him hire a staff."

So clearly I don't have any reading comprehension problem. And I'm certain that the hiring of the OC is a group decision and not just Saleh alone.

The sky is not falling for once in Jets land. The process is working. We're getting closer. Hop on board and enjoy the ride. I sure as hell am for the first time in forever. We have a positive direction.

15. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

This is woody’s way of conducting business. Always half measures. Fire the gm, keep the coach. Force the coach to fire the OC. How many times did we see that with Herm? Rex? Bowles? It’s incredible how many OC’s we’ve run through with this dope owning the team. Somehow he’s taken the mantle from Dolan for worst sports owner in NY.

Nyjets4eva and Jets79 like this.
  16. cmcm750203

I don’t think Saleh should have been fired and I do think MLF had to go, yet the way it went soured me. If Saleh believed that MLF was the right OC for the team then let him sink or swim next year. Woody dictating moves just opens things up for bad shit as always. If he didn’t think MLF was the answer and Saleh was dead set on canning him then he should’ve cleaned house. I’ve made the point a bunch of times but woody Johnson making football decisions has never ended well.

Nyjets4eva, CotcheryFan and Jets79 like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

That's right, after saying numerous times that I'm not advocating for Saleh to be fired, I'm starting to lean towards that as the best option. Are people not allowed to have nuanced ideas, or are only "black or white" ones allowed?

If you read my related post on comparing Saleh's record with Bowles, that's my concern. We wasted 3 years basically after Bowles blew the chance for the playoffs with that loss in Buffalo to end the season. At that time, most people thought "Oh, we're so close! Next year will be our year!" and what happened? We just got worse because Bowles wasn't a good HC. He was a pretty good DC - when he wasn't delegating that to his actual DC who was useless - but he couldn't be a CEO of the team and understand when things had to change in other areas. I see the same thing here with Saleh. The one big difference is that I believe Saleh can learn to be a CEO, whereas I never thought Bowles could be - and I think I've been proven right on that point with his failure in TB.

So, while I'm not against keeping Saleh, mainly to avoid another rebuild, I'm also worried that he won't be much more than a glorified DC. I'm not an expert, nor am I privy to the close monitoring of how he's actually done his job, so I can't say if he should be fired, but I just don't want to continue watching a team fumble away it's chances because it can't operate a good offense.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  18. cmcm750203

We should’ve hired Pederson. Maybe he wanted to take the year off but what a missed opportunity that is probably going to be. Maybe Zach would’ve been just as bad, but at least we probably would’ve had a more capable backup than Flacco.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

or Daboll, who was my top choice because he proved he could develop a raw QB in Allen. That’s the guy I wanted.

but it’s water under the bridge now.

Saleh has shown improvement so there’s hope

let’s see what happens with the offense next year and then we’ll be in a decent position to determine Saleh’s future

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, we find ourselves at a crossroads now. Saleh has 1 year to prove he can win and there really doesn't have to be some grandstanding by Woody to get that point across. JD has a quiet mandate as well depending on the results of '23. If Saleh doesn't make the playoffs, JD and his gaudy 20-45 record will suddenly find himself in the crosshairs as well. Perhaps Woody gives JD one last chance in '24 before starting over in '25. '23 is pivotal for everyone in the Jet braintrust as their jobs will depend on how well the team does as it should. Woody may not be a football genius, but it is his investment to manage and he gets to make the decisions no matter what we as fans may think. Maybe one day he gets it right. Maybe one day he sells the team. For the most part, we as fans are only along for the ride. You could always choose to leave as no one is being held hostage by Woody.

It may not be fair, but that's the way it is...

cmcm750203, Borat and Jets79 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.