The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're right about timing and touch, either you have it or you don't, but what does vary is how you can apply it. Zach has timing and touch as displayed while at BYU and even at times on the Jets, but he simply hasn't adjusted to the speed of the NFL yet. Again, when he's had a clean pocket his rating is well above average - IIRC top 15 - indicating that he can make good throws with timing and touch. But when he's hurried because of poor pass pro (or his failure to call out the right protection), he rushes things, his mechanics suffer and so does his timing and touch. Once that ball starts rolling, his confidence suffers and he starts second guessing himself - using up valuable slices of seconds and then winding up late in his execution.

Fixing the OL, getting him to improve his recognition of the defense so he can call out the right protection, and fixing his footwork, are all doable. We'll see if the Jets and Zach can do that.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Same and they didn’t bring anyone in. They handed the job to Wilson.

when will this organization learn?

Ralebird likes this.
  3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I agree coaching makes a difference….probably even more so in football than in many other sports, because football is more scripted and coaches call plays and such. I don’t disagree at all…

where I do disagree is just in our views on ZW…I don’t think coaching was the main factor in why he sucks….I say that because I’ve seen him miss throws that a starting NFL QB should be able to make 99 times out of a 100. He misses WAY too often. The fact that he doesn’t even see open receivers is bad…that points to understanding the play design and such, which is interesting i that for all the supposed work ethic and film junkie BS we’ve heard of him, I’m not buying it because if he really were studying that much he’d at least be expected to look at the right receiver. There is just so much wrong with him…he has a strong arm for sure, and he’s made some great amazing throws…but in two years he hasn’t really put together one great game…maybe the Buffalo game was his best I don’t know but he hasn’t shown more than some throws here or there, or the fourth quarter in Pitt.

regardless…would a better OC get more out of him? Sure I guess so…but we had plenty of open guys running around so to me it’s not the scheme that’s a problem. It’s him.

who knows….we’ll see what happens but I doubt he develops

Ralebird and boozer32 like this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Maybe they need to do something different this time. Hire an OC and also a passing game coordinator. Especially if the guy is a first time OC like LeFleur was. The thing they really need to fix is getting the offense moving. That was one of Lefleur's problems.

5. boozer32

I saw some videos from Zach's first season and second seasons and he made some great throws. He also was more accurate and seem comfortable throwing on the run. Our running game went to crap also when Breece got injured. So that didn't help. Maybe the new OC can manage that for him. I don't think Zach could ever be a drop back in the pocket QB.

6. boozer32

Can't have it both ways. Very hard to align all your coordinators perfectly. They hired LeFleur before they drafted Zach. Now they have a second chance to get it right.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Sounds like Reich and Wilks are getting 2nd interviews for the Panthers job. I don't know why teams don't stick with successful interim coaches more often. Wilks led the McCafferty-less Panthers to a 6-6 record and compared for the divison (NFC South albeit). Why wouldn't you want him back?
    Plus, Reich sounds like a good option for the Jets. Wonder if he'd take this OC job if he doesn't get the HC in Carolins. My gut tells me they'll pick Reich though

barfolomew likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Wilks doesn't have a history that suggests he'll be a good HC at the NFL level. He did a good job of filling in for them last season.

The question is similar to "why don't teams stick with the backup QB if he does better than the starter did?" The answer to that is usually that there are reasons the guy was a backup to start with.

barfolomew likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.