The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

like I said…I get the firing of MLF, I’m not saying it’s not warranted at all. But I see no one that we’re talking to so far that looks to be any better. Hopefully they’ll make the right hire.

I saw the defense go from worst to top five once we got some more talent and stayed healthy on that side of the ball…who’s to say an infusion of talent and health on the OL and a better QB doesn’t have a similar impact on the O?

I don’t know for sure that it would, but our OL was decimated by injury and we has worst in the league QB play … hard to overcome that

again…just to be clear, I get the firing, I’m. Ot saying it’s not warranted, just saying we have no one better so far. The list we’ve talked to is uninspiring to day the least.

westiedog1 likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it was a bad decision. You can say it. It’s never good to make a scapegoat of an offensive coordinator but it’s especially bad when the front office is doing it to save their jobs

westiedog1 and Jets69 like this.
  3. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

So many wanted MLF gone yet didn't think about his replacement. Now, people are bitching that they want an experienced OC yet there is only 2 that I can think of at the moment(Reich and Monken). We currently have a benched former number 2 overall pick as the only QB on the roster. Yet, you think a quality/experienced OC is gonna come here for that shit?

Don't take the above as an endorsement for MLF. Its just that no matter what there would be complaints.

For the record, I would give Monken big money and see if he will take it

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  4. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

For the record I would do the same for Reich

5. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Anyone who doesn’t think he deserved to be fired is absolutely crazy lol that’s the only thing that makes sense

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It does seem like firing MLF was done without a plan to move forward with his replacement. Woody said bring him an experienced OC, but Saleh is shopping at Dollar General.

7. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I honestly don't have a problem with a less experienced OC as long as they get a veteran QB. A vet QB is going to be a much better fit for a younger OC - they just can't go young/unproven at OC without a vet QB...

BrooklynJetsFan and JetFanInNE like this.
  8. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

The OC's at Saks don't want to go to NJ

Cman68 likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Normally you would want the HC to hire his staff but in a case like this where the HC is inexperienced and under pressure it might be better if Douglas made the hire. After all if Douglas survives the potential debacle he is going to have to hire a HC next season and one of the primary candidates is going to be whoever is brought in as OC.

Nyjets4eva and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Neiman Marcus either...

NY Jets68 likes this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

From everything I read, Hackett is a very well regarded and experienced play caller and OC. Albeit a poor HC. Monken would be a dream but probably has zero interest in leaving a super cushy job to go into the Jets toxic environment. Reich has not expressed interest so far, as he wants a HC job. Joe Brady would be very interesting but might not leave Buffalo for this boiler maker. It’s a major revolving door for OCs across the NFL.
    Contrary to what many here believe, MLF had significant issues with his inflexibility and play calling that made the players very unhappy, nor do I believe he got the respect of his players, in top of the complete lack of development for Zach in year two. In fact he regressed and even his mobility was suppressed.
    I say the QB selection will be a big discriminator for the OC selection. If it’s Carr or AR or whomever.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

The OC search feels more like someone handed Saleh $10, dropped him off in the parking lot of a nearly abandoned shopping mall, and told him they'd be back in an hour and Saleh had better have hired an OC with veteran experience by then.

In reality, nobody worth their salt is going to even sniff around this job. We're going to have to hire someone that is desperate for a job. We're going to suck in 2023, and then Saleh and Douglas will be fired and it's back to square one yet again.

13. BrowningNagle

well Saleh didn’t want to fire LaFleur. Woody, Elhai, Douglas did and they don’t have any coordinator connections

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  14. jets_fan

The fact that he didn't want to fire him after his abysmal performance over the course of two seasons should have had Woody telling Saleh to pack his bags too.

This roster is built to win now. Instead, we're wasting it trying to get this roster of amateurish coaches up to speed on how to do the jobs that they were hired for, but never qualified for in the first place.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

how is the roster built to win now? It has the worst QB in the NFL. QB is the most important position

16. jets_fan

The roster was good enough for half the season to overcome the worst QB in the league and be in playoff position, so I'd say that it's built to win now. The roster is not just the QB position and then nothing else. It's the most important position, but not the only one. Likewise, if you put Patrick Mahomes on the 2020 Jets, are they built to win now? Hardly.

This team is being held back more by its coaching staff than it is by its QB situation. A better coaching situation would have produced a better Zach Wilson. He'd still probably be a lower-tier QB, but he'd be better than he is if we had a coaching staff that had any clue as to what they are doing.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I’m not sure if Reich would want the job without knowing the QB situation.
    limitations at QB just got him booted in Indy.

He checks all the boxes we need rn tho, I’d throw a fat contract at him. Would be a great addition.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. jets_fan

Frank Reich isn't touching this job with a mile-long pole. He just left one dysfunctional organization in Indy. He's not going to go to one that's even more dysfunctional than that clown show he just got canned from.

IIMeanDeanII and Jets79 like this.
  19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Execution.

Plenty of times the ball SHOULD HAVE been In the end zone, for a TD, and win.

Players failed to execute. It's obvious.

20. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He wasn't ruined. He was trash In college, he was trash In the NFL. Nothing suggests otherwise. I've been saying the same shit since before we took him In the draft. I can point to many plays, many opps, many games where MLF had this offense rolling.

I can't say that about Zach Wilson.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.