The next OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, the Jags knew how to choose the right HC for TL and a young squad on the rise. The Jags also knew how to tank 2 years running to get set up like they are today.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree with the bold. I don't agree that teams should tank, and leagues should be able to figure teams that do and strip them of their high draft picks.

papapump likes this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I’d rather Tank then suffer a Bullshit win that sets us back further

Just so this board knows ..you Cc was the only GG poster who knew P Mahomes was not just an “air raid” QB 5 years ago !!! Imagine if we moved back or up in Draft and got him

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Cman68

They could also stop this new obsession with gambling on football games too. Tanking will continue as long as teams can see the results show up like they did in Jax. The Jets should have tanked back when they didn't have this level of young talent. The opportunity was there, but Braden Mann made a play. The rest is history.

5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

well I can get behind the firing because our offense has sucked balls, but I think it’s more of a Zach being absolute shit QB than MLF honestly. There is no OC on the planet that can put a strong offense out there when the QB can’t hit a basic pass.

but if you’re going to make a change at OC, I’d think you’d have a decent idea on who to replace him with. This list we’re looking at is shit. Now the latest I saw we talked with Klint Kubiak, the Broncos passing game coordinator under Hackett….seriously??? That offense was worse than ours, and they had a great QB in Russell Wilson that played like shit under them…why the fuck we talked with him or with Nathaniel Hackett is beyond me.

so yeah, I saw a lot of open guys running our offense, and it looked much better when anyone other than Zach was running it…given the choice between MLF with another year and a decent QB vs some of these losers we’ve been talking to, I’m not sure MLF isn’t the better option.

so while IM ok with the firing from a results standpoint, im not ok with the crap list of candidates that we’ve been considering.

papapump, HomeoftheJets and SOJAZ like this.
  6. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

They literally had a decent shot of beating KC if they could have stopped chad henne from going 98 yards down the field. Crazy.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I've said it before, no matter how bad Adam Gase was as a Head Coach, or how bad the roster was, it actually was not bad enough to get the #1 pick in 2020. The Patriots MNF game, Chargers game, Raiders game, all easily could have been wins. That puts the team at (5-11). It took a special coaching staff of ineptitude to get the team to (0-13). Then they took it to the next level by winning 2 of their final 3 games and ruining everything. Can't make that stuff up. Awful.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  8. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

I tell ya I get a kick out of all the posts.. the back and forth. Its LOL. I am in the twilight of my life and thinking when the Lord calls me home (assuming he does) he'll fill me in on when the JETS will win the next SB.

9. The Dark Knight

If you get that info, make sure you find a way to relay it to TGG. :)

Kubiak? Okay, well that next SB prolly won't be the 2023 season. :D

10. Cman68

Probably right after the first Manned Mars Landing..

jets_fan likes this.
  11. The Dark Knight

I would say 0% chance Brady comes to the Jets because if Ken Dorsey gets a HC job, he can replace him as Bills OC, or he can follow Dorsey to his next job as his OC.

KY Jets Fan and KingRoach like this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jags knew how the second time they chose. That first guy was a doozie and he damn near took TL down with him.

SOJAZ, KingRoach, Red Menace and 2 others like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

Thanks. But it was @legler82 who first tipped me to him.

As far as tanking, if we had gotten Lawrence, given how this teams can't develop young, there is no way he would've found success here with the CS we have. Mahomes was a special case because he's so talented and creative that while he certainly would not have succeeded here as he has in KC he would've still succeeded to some degree IMO.

14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Well who would be on your list? I'd love to hear it.

Also, I've been as down as I've ever been on Wilson but the narrative that he can't hit a basic pass is pure bullshit. Of course he can. You can say he was awful as the starting QB and I will agree with you. But the hyperbole is getting ridiculous. He's hit plenty of "basic" passes.

JetFanInNE and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. bicketybam

Did that tweet say he loves Buffalo? As in the city? It's the armpit of NY, lol.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Are we sure it'll be that soon?

I've got my bet down on our first manned trip to Andromeda. I figure our next playoff appearance might be about the time we put boots on Pluto.

17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I don’t have a list…which is why I probably would have just kept MLF and worried more about improving the OL and getting a better QB. The play design was typically pretty good in that we schemed plenty of open receivers. The playcalling flow I think was not great…too many empty backfield plays on third and short, but that I think comes with more experience.

that’s why I say look I can understand letting him go because the offense hasn’t been great, but if you don’t have someone better to replace him then it’s not a step forward, and from the candidates I’ve heard were talking to, I don’t see any of them as a clear upgrade…do you? A bunch of guys who’ve never done it before, which is what we had already with MLF, and the guys who have done it before are dogshit…Hackett? Please…he’s sucked at Denver and didn’t call plays at GB plus he had an all time great QB there. No fucking thanks.

and honestly, the Zach stuff…I think a 53% career completion rate tells me pretty much that he can’t hit the basic throws in any consistent way. Clearly he has the physical ability to throw a football 7 yards…but then why can’t he do it consistently? Why does he have the worst completion rate for two years now? Why does he have to fling them at 100 mph with no touch? Why can’t he hit receivers in stride consistently? Come on…he sucks and he sucks at basic stuff that a legit NFL QB should be able to do well. It’s not physical ability…it’s the mental aspect whether it’s reading a defense or feeling the pocket or feeling the routes or footwork or whatever other bajillion reasons may be at play. We blame MLF and he does own some of it because I do think that good coaches figure out how to tailor the scheme to the talent on hand, so MLF bears some responsibility there, but he also has literally the worst rated QB I the league two years running.

SOJAZ and CotcheryFan like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

I remained on MLF's side for quite some time, long after some here were trashing him. I thought the same things that were affecting Zach - injuries, inconsistent play - was holding his offense back. But when the offense failed to execute down the stretch - regardless o f who the QB was - it became clear where the root of the problem was...and it wasn't Zach Wilson. Moreover, as things began to come out about what was happening behind the scenes - ever since MLF's arrival - it also became clear that he wasn't let go simply for his failures as an OC, but likely more so for sowing negativity and failing to help Zach improve. Yes, you can say Zach was never going to improve, but how do we know that given that LaFleur apparently thought Wilson wasn't a good fit for his "genius" offense? In essence we wasted 2 years as a result of hiring and keeping a guy who isn't a good coach. Maybe some day he will be, but only if he learns some humility and to put the players ahead of his own ego.

As for Zach "proving for 2 years that he can't hit basic throws consistently", aside from they hyperbole of that claim, you know what was "consistent" for those 2 years? Being coached by LaFleur who was in over his head. Do you not really see the cause and effect there? Maybe Wilson is simply another overrated, over-drafted QB from a small school/conference, but there have been many QBs drafted from similar circumstance (Josh Allen) who succeeded. The difference being they had good coaching. Or look at Lawrence now - last year he was a "bust", but a coaching change and he's now pushing for All Pro and took his team to the playoffs and nearly beat Mahomes and KC. Again, do you not see the impact bad - or good - coachng can have on a player?

I'm not claiming that Zach will succeed at this point. It might be that while he could have, he's been ruined by MLF and the rest of the circus here. I hope not. I do still think he can succeed, but only if the Jets hire someone with a proven track record of success in developing QBs to work with him. Of course even if they do he might fail. I'm prepared to accept that outcome as long as the Jets did everything they could to help him succeed - which they have not so far. That article that described how MLF never wanted Zach to run his offense was very telling. It was essentially an admission that the Jets did NOT do everything they could to help him succeed, and in fact, handcuffed him. So for anyone to claim that "Zach Wilson just sucks" is ignoring a whole lot of reality and openmindedness.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  19. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

be careful with this path, that season is actually JD's best record with us so not counting it really hurts his overall job / record

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. bicketybam

How do you explain the White led offense not being able to put the ball in the end zone against a terrible Minnesota defense?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.