The myth and mystery of Bill Belichick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by allan1, Sep 19, 2006.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I don't think anyone is saying BB is not a grat coach, he obviously is a HOFer BUT it's silly to take all the credit away from parcells and give it to Belichick just as ti's silly to take credit away from BB and give it to Brady or Parcells' staff.

2. Dirtywater

Dirtywater 2005 Award Winner: Best non-Jets fan poster/Best S

No, no, I agree. And I'll take it a step further. I give Belichick zero credit for his success. He totally sucks as a coach. If he was good, he would have won every game. I credit everyone else but Belichick.

Now everyone's happy that the man who walked away from the Jets became the man the man who led NE to 3 Super Bowls, right? Belichick sucks, now everyone feels better. :beer:

3. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

If it weren't for Mo Lewis knocking the shit out of Drew Bledsoe the Patriots would have never won the super bowl that year, and the Pats lost to the Raiders one of the worst calls in NFL history.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I was happy the day after he walked away, but it sucked that first day.

Bottom line is he would have been a great coach in NY for the Jets without Parcells, but that wasn't going to happen. Once I realized how little heart he had for the job I was very glad he walked away from it and I still am.

The Terry Bradway/Herm Edwards detour was exactly that, a detour, but we're getting back on track now and things will be okay in a season or so.

Now if Mangini walks away for the Patriots in a year or two I'll be pissed.

5. Dirtywater

Nice!!

You take the bitterness and the "oh-if-this-happenned", and I'll take the 3 Super Bowl victories. Deal? :beer:

6. allan1

allan1 Active Member

no way Bledsoe would've continued as starter anyway. You couldn't delay the inevitable for so long, any coach would've dumped Bledsoe eventually, be it week 4, 5, 6....

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Brady was starting soon, at the time there were already rumors he was going to pull Bledsoe for Brady but the Mo hit accelerated it.

8. Dirtywater

Damn you Junc!! :grin:

Why must you always let facts get in the way?!! :mad: :lol:

9. zoostation

zoostation New Member

A rule is a rule. They still had to kick a 48 yard field goal against the wind (and a freekin snow storm) to tie that game. They then stopped Oakland on 4 and inches and drove the field for the win.

The next week they went to Hienz Field and beat up the Steelers for the AFC Championship game.

They then went in to the Superdome and knocked the "greatest show on turf" on their @ss on every play.

That was a damn good football team!

#49 zoostation, Sep 24, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  10. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

A great coach can win games that others cannot. Let’s define an average coach-my definition is a coach who gets his players to play at their potential-nothing more, nothing less. The whole is equal to the sum of its parts. His ability to game plan, to make in-game adjustments, to recognize a player’s strengths and weaknesses, to see how a player can best contribute, a willingness to suit strategy or tactics to take advantage of his player’s strengths, and so on, neither adds to nor subtracts from the teams native abilities. He will take great players and they will be a good team. He will take bad players and they will be a bad team, etc. A bad coach gets his players to play at a level much less than their potential. Good players become an average team. The whole is less than the sum of its parts. A great coach can make the sum of the parts more than the whole. He can’t make bad players into a great team, but he can make them competitive.
    Use Herm as an example. I can’t recall a game the jets won when they were not supposed to. I recall many games they lost when they were supposed to win. By my definition, Herm made the players less than the sum of their parts-he was not a great coach. BB has been able to make the whole much more than the sum of its parts. I don’t care if it is because he had great assistants (who picked them anyway?) or great players (who recognized what could make them great?), he wins games his team should not win and rarely loses a game he should not lose.
    I thought he was going to be a great coach when he traded Bledsoe. Remember DB took the team to the super bowl. When Brady came in and had that great year, rather than go into a year with a quarterback controversy, BB made a decision that in effect said-I recognize that TB, despite being a 6 th round pick, is better for my team than DB. How many other coaches could have done that?

11. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

OK, Belichick's a good coach. Yes, he has three SB rings. All very true.

And it's just as true that it couldn't have happened to a more miserable excuse for a human being.

And I look forward to continuing to amuse myself by highlighting this fact.

#51 CaneJet, Sep 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2005
  12. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

I'm bitter at Herm for 2005 (another great human being there), but fair is fair.

Three games that Herm coached the Jets to victories when they were supposed to lose:

2002: We won at SD after "you play to win the game!"

2002: We won in NE in the next to last game of the year.

2004: We won in the WC round at SD.

13. jjr62

jjr62 New Member

We also beat oakland the last game to get in the playoffs on a john hall 50 yarder didnt we? We were supposed to lose that one. Then we went back there first round and lost. I do not remember what year any help on this?