The Mike Nugent Thread (MERGED 6x)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Good point. There were so many positives yesterday. I feel good about the team right now, at least, better than I've felt in months. To mention Nugent this morning was inevitable, but to dwell on it seems fruitless for now. Nugent had a bad day, but many, many other players on the team had a GREAT day:

Pennington
    Cotchery
    Coles
    McCareins
    Baker
    Brad Smith
    Dyson
    Miller
    Mangold
    Graham

2. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Look, I've been yipping for two years about how I hated using a second round pick on a kicker - so this is the last time. Until the next time.

But the point remains that we DO have a kicker that we picked in the second round, and if we give up on him now, the terrorists win.

3. LWC611

LWC611 Member

Given the fact he was a second round pick, you can easily say that this guy is a bust. I am bringing in kickers this week, to light a fire under him. We are just not good enough on leave points on the field. I know we won yesterday but lets face it the Titans picked before us in last years draft, so they are not that good a team. Nugent needs to get some consistency fast.

4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Thank you for calling the NY Jets fan hotline. Currently, all our reprensentatives are out enjoying the win, or defending Chad Pennington, but your post is very important to us. Please leave a detailed response and we will reply to your thread as soon as possible. Thank you.

Kicker problems aside, you have to admit it felt good watching the game yesterday, right Champ?

:jets:

5. Section 227. Row 5

Bringing in kickers this week is an assinine suggestion. Absolutely assinine. And probably counter-productive, also.

You're not going to "light" any "fire" under Nugent by bringing another kicker in and you may actually get in his head more so by doing that. Nugent doesn't need any "fire" under him, he already knows how he let his teamates down and how disastrous the missed kicks could have been to the results of the game. He needs to get out on the practice field today with coaches around him, kick a lot of balls through the uprights and work his way through this.

Bringing in competition right now is ludicrous.

6. Sundayjack

Hehehe. . . :) :up:

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I don't agree with you on this one. I really don't care one way or another about getting in Nugents head. This team has worked their tails off to get ready for the season. If the coaching staff wants to bring in someone who they think can do a better job that's their call. Nugent is a pro, if he can't handle the competition and excell how can you ever expect him to hit a pressure kick in the NFL?

8. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

My brother and I talked a bit about kickers this morning. I don't have any statistical "facts" for this but most kickers who come into the leauge are undrafted. But the thing is, they aren't good/reliable kickers until a few years down the road. Nugent was drafted high, so everyone expects him to perform now, but that isn't how kickers work. His kickoffs have improved at least 10 yards this year from last year, no TB, but they were between the 1-10 yard line instead of 10-15. He'll solidify his mechanics and be a great kicker for the Jets if we just have the patience to let him develop.

9. Sundayjack

Nonsense. There's a name for kickers who miss two field goals and an extra point - car salesmen.

10. Section 227. Row 5

So you are in the camp that says bring in tryouts this week?

11. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Like I said, I didn't have any factual evidence, but I'm almost sure that there are no kickers who came in and lit the NFL on fire with their accurate kicks.

12. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I'm in the camp that says if you can't kick a 50+ yarder you better be close to automatic on a beautifull day from inside the 40.

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

In the post-game show on the radio he was being interviewed and he said that he kept kicking the floor and it would continue to shank right as he kept doing that.

I figure that's something he should've been able to fix after the first time he did it but that missed XP probably screwed up his head. He needs to focus better and work on this in practice. If he screws up again then off with his head!

14. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

typical of Champ to post the negative thread after a win. did anyone else not see this coming?

Champ, admit that you enjoyed winning the game... you can't, can you?

cheers

15. Section 227. Row 5

He has been "close to automatic" all along. I might even argue that yesterday was close enough to automatic to give him a chance before you put a poker up his @ss and bring in a guy immediately. He was wide right by several yards on one FG and hit the right upright on the other. PAT's can be missed in the NFL, it happens all the time.

I'm not saying this is acceptable. Not even for one game... and it needs to be looked at immediately. And we need to see if this is a trend. He had a bad day... kickers do. If he has several bad games in a row, then there's a problem. But I don't start auditioning kickers this week. That was the statement and I disagree with doing that THIS WEEK. It's too early. If it happens again this weekend, that may be another story.

16. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

There are some but your point is worth considering. Perhaps Nugent will find his way eventually. I hope he can do so in a Jets uniform. However, to me he's Brett Conway II until further notice.

Nick Lowery got cut by multiple teams before finally sticking with the Chiefs.

John Hall missed 13 FGs as a rookie.

Morten Andersen was 2 for 5 in FGs his first year. He was a 4th rd pick in '82 which was a stike-shortened season. The Saints were 6 for 13 in FGs that year. I know Andersen played in 8 of the 9 games. Russell Erxleben missed one FG. That guy was a 1979 1st round punter-kicker bust. That leaves another 7 FG attempts by 1982 Saints placekickers to account for. Point is, Andersen as a 4th round pick in '82 was not getting the job done. Maybe he was nicked up.

Gary Anderson was a rookie the same year and went 22 for 22 in XPs and 10 for 12 in FGs.

Matt Bahr was only 18 for 30 in FGs for the '79 Steelers.

Kevin Butler had an excellent rookie season with the '85 Bears.

Neil Rackers was bad at the beginning of his career. Same with Joe Nedney.

Eddie Murray missed 15 FGs as a rookie.

Fuad Reveiz and Steve Christie were good rookies.

Chester Marcol, Paul McFadden, and Jason Hanson were all good enough to receive offensive and/or conference rookie of the year awards from various news services. (Note: Marcol was 33 for 48 in FGs in 1972, but that was a different era. Goalposts were on the goal line and I believe every missed FG resulted in the other team getting the ball at the 20*. Hence, teams attempted more 50+ yarders back then in comparison to today.)

*I could check that later tonight. I think I have that correct, but I'm not 100% certain on it.

#236 Cakes, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Very good post! I wasn't thrilled with the Nugent selection in Rd 2, but it was Herm's Knee-Jerk reaction to spend the pick in Rd 2 to get rid of Doug B. Remember Herm wasted another pick on Bryan Thomas in 02, reacting on no pass rush against the Raiders in the playoff game that J.Abe sat out with a Tummy ache.

I'm not ready deep-six Nuge, but he needs to turn it around right-away......The NFL is no place for placekickers with prolonged slumps.

18. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I was very disappointed in Nugent's performance yesterday. I have nothing further to add.

19. Section 227. Row 5

In general (and I am not addressing you, Winston, but to everyone reading this thread), I have watched this kid in practice from the very beginning (his very first day at TC 1st year).

He was and has been an absolute ball-kicking machine. Right down the middle on most kicks, even in excess of the 50. I know TC is TC and kicking when it counts is the only real measure. I also know of all the discussion about the NFL regulation football vs. the one he kicked in college and the supposition that he may have difficulty with the "real" ball.

For Nugent to have missed those 3 kicks yesterday is a real anomoly for him. Even he admits it's "the worst game he's ever kicked in." He complained of catching his foot, even in practice. Was it his shoe... maybe the surface is uneven in that stadium? He has kicked thousands of balls. What was causing his foot to hang up?

Tennis players double-fault on key points. Tiger Woods blows easy putts and has bad days. I don't think bringing in a kicker this week is a hot idea. It tells Nugent we've given up on him over one game. Give the kid a chance to look at what's going on and come up with a reason why he missed the kicks without feeling like the team has quit on him this early.

20. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I think everyone's disappointed, but people wanting him cut right away, is overboard. The Redflag is up.......it's time to turn it around.