The Mike Nugent Thread (MERGED 6x)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Bryce

Bryce New Member

He plays on a shitty team

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Champs plays on a shitty team?

3. baamf

baamf Active Member

Hey troll, doesn't your team have it's own message board that you can play at???

#203 baamf, Sep 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2005
  4. DariusVassell

DariusVassell Member

I think its Herman trying to make himself feel better this morning:rofl:

5. Section 227. Row 5

It's Champs on his laptop.

6. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

But we won.

That doesn't make it acceptable, but it does allow us to learn from it less painfully.

Now if Nugent continues this for a few more weeks in a row, maybe you have to do something about it, but for now, let's learn and move on.

By the way, you said "WE".. I never got the impression you were a Jets fan.

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The 04 squad was far from a SB caliber team. They got in the playoffs by beating up on enough bad teams to creep in and getting a Marty team in the playoffs followed by a rookie QB. In this league you never know when your going to make a run. Kicking is a huge part of the game. We can't wait very long on this one. If we end up losing to NE or Buffalo because of Nuge I think the entire board will turn on him. He has to get his shit together ASAP or he's gone.

8. Phyr

Phyr Member

Your points are flawed as usual. The correlation between last year and this one game makes no sense. Nugent yesterday missed 1 PAT, 1 30 yard FG, and 1 34 yard field. Last year Nugent went 24-24 on PATs, and 7-7 on FGs 30-39 yards. Last year our criticism was more geared to his kickoffs(which were reaching the end zone yesterday) and his long range FG ability (7-12 from over 40 yards). This was a bad game nothing more nothing less. If you are going to criticize someone at least be consistant. I think that Nugent can still turn out to be a good NFL kicker. I wasn't really in favor of drafting a kicker in the 2nd round but I think Nugent is going to turn the corner. Just look at his college games.

9. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

What he did yesterday was in-excusable. Their is no way to defend him for yesterday. Now, if you don't want to jump off his bandwagon, then fine. But now for even a 35 yard FG i'm gonna be on the edge of my seat, which is sad...Nugent has a LONG way to go trying to gain the confidence of the fans...The absolute worst thing for a kicker is hearing boos in your own crowd...

10. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

This guy is another Brett Conway. High pick for a kicker and will probably end up bouncing around the league. I wouldn't be surprised if Nugent is gone before Halloween.

11. jdjets

jdjets New Member

also remember that nugent was a herm pick so i don't know if he's all that safe if he continues to struggle.

12. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to downplay how bad he was yesterday, because he was terrible. Another bad game and he is probably gone but I think week 1 is a little too soon for a team like the Jets and a player that people thought was pretty good recently.

13. Section 227. Row 5

I don't know what Nugent is talking about when he says his right foot kept rubbing the ground yesterday. He says he noticed it in practice and it threw the kicks off. I'm sure this is being discussed at great length this morning and he'll be working with ST guys on this all week.

It shouldn't become a "head" thing unless he makes it so, because the kid has a slew of successes up to this point and needs to be reminded of that. If it gets in his head, that's another story. But it's way too early to make that assessment.

14. baamf

baamf Active Member

Yeah, that is weird. It sounds like a mechanics thing, but you think he would have corrected it in warmups. Strange...

15. DariusVassell

DariusVassell Member

Remember his post draft comments about Brien and how Jets fans need not worry about him because his veins had ice running through them....that ice melted pretty freaking quick!!!

16. Gator

Gator Active Member

Mangini will take care of it. That's what I like about him. He doesn't care who you are, where you were drafted, what the team had to give up to get you, etc etc. Do the job, or you're gone.

It's very troubling because kicking seems to be just as much mental as physical. If you have no confidence you're going to make them, you miss them.

17. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

I don't think yesterday had anything to do with nerves. He kept pushing it right and didn't look comfortable kicking. Maybe it was the turf or whatever he said, or maybe he had pulled something and not said anything. Either way he better get his shit together soon.

18. Section 227. Row 5

But the one thing Nugent has always had is confidence in himself. He had lots of successes at Ohio State and equally as many chances to lose confidence there and didn't. His true test will be how he shakes off this game. If he shakes it, it'll help him. If he can't shake it, that's big trouble.

19. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

He had a really horrible day. If he has another day like this, he doesn't deserve to be on the team. But I'll give him a pass on this one.

20. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

All kickers have days like this, the good news is it didn't cost us the game. You bring another kicker in, who is to say the same thing doesn't happen with him? Nugent has enough good history dating back to Ohio State that it's premature to give up on him after one bad day.

Leave it to champ69 to harp on the one negative angle and make a thread about it though. It must be killing him that we're 1-0.