The media is LYING about Mangini and Favre

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Salz, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

I'm not sure I understand this. One could argue that the coaches job is to win with the players the GM and perhaps the owner gives them. I think it's pretty clear at this point that Woody wanted Favre. I have no idea whether either Tannenbaum or Mangini wanted him. Did you really think Mangini should have quit if he didn't want Favre and Woody told Tannenbaum to get him?

2. SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers Member

FINE!

Image of Gilda Radner as Emily Litella should be here

Never mind.

3. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Parcells didn't want TO.......

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

One of his other kids' names is Luke William. After Bill Belichick. And we all saw how that turned out. Nobody lost, you just grasp so badly.

5. JetsLookingforDWare

He also didn't want Romo to start.

Man that Parcells should change his name to Pusscells

6. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

If I'm not mistaken Mangina kept making bad comments about the QB play during training camp, hes the one who benched Chad last year (rightly or wrongly). He helped cause the situation, I don't believe for one minute that he didn't ask for a different QB. If he didn't want someone like Favre then he should have found a way to make his situation work.

7. Salz

Salz New Member

Bill Belichick was an important part of his football life. They may have still had a good relationship at the time, or at the very least, he respected him. Mangini wouldn't have named his kid after Brett Favre if he never wanted the trade. That's a ridiculous conspiracy theory. "Maybe I'll name my sons middle name after Brett Favre so it appears I actually like him!" Sure.

8. JetsLookingforDWare

He did. Favre started, we won 9 games, and he got fired.

Sometimes the situations just don't work.

9. Salz

Salz New Member

Also, read Mangini's comments during training camp last year. He wasn't very impressed with Chad, as he had him compete with Kellen Clemens and until the Favre trade had not even decided on a starter. He never liked Chad. He made him compete with Patrick Ramsey, for christ sakes. Of course he supported an upgrade.

10. JetsLookingforDWare

Duh he'd want an upgrade. The idea is that a 38 year old semi-retired Favre 3 weeks before the season started isn't exactly the upgrade he was looking for.

11. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Just what upgrade were we going to get after training camp started? If he wanted someone new he should have drafted Flacco or went after someone else BEFORE camp started. This is all spin to make Mangina look better, well it doesn't in my eyes, its an excuse to gloss over his terrible coaching decisions.

12. JetsLookingforDWare

This would take us back to the Teddy Atlas quotes...Mangini had resigned himself to using one of the two as his starter.

It's not like we'd never be able to upgrade again.

Him being such a young coach really hurt him...you can't just...bench Brett Favre. I mean you can...but you be ready to catch alot of shit for it.

The way I'm starting to see it, Mangini had no shot at really lasting here anyway.

Say he stuck with Chad/Clemens we have these scenarios:

Clemens starts and wins Super Bowl - Mangini keeps job obviously.

Clemens wins in camp and performs well but no SB - Team has QB of future, Mangini is blamed for no SB. He's probably fired.

Chad starts and wins Super Bowl - Same as Clemens scenario, but this leaves us with no obvious QB of the future.

Chad starts, plays well, but we exit early - Mangini fired. Chad wins another CPOY.

Clemens sucks - Mangini fired cause we now know Clemens is a bust of epic proportions.

Chad sucks - Mangini fired.

So fuck excuses for the guy...it's not like it changes anything. I just happen to think he's a better coach than given credit for here.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Who said he wanted someone new? Your opinion would support the 'Mangini never wanted Favre in the first place' argument.

14. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Who is the chick in your avatar?

15. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Not true regarding the PR stunt. They left out the most intriguing part of the article, which I so happen to have.

It reads as:

One anonymous source close to the Mangini family wass quoted as saying "my name is not Tony Atlas, but I can tell you that Eric was forced to name his baby Brett. They originally insisted on Brett Favre-Mangini and MyMan Brett-The-Jet-Favre-Mangini but Eric cleverly coaxed them into settling for the middle name. Either way, that bitch was robbed!! You heard it hear first bitches...and I'm not Tony Atlas.

16. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I don't think the plan was to get to the Super Bowl in 08. They were going through the open competition and the best QB would be able to take advantage of a clever Schotty running / passing strategy by being accurate and playing within himself. They go 9-7, 10-6, maybe make the playoffs, maybe not -- upgrade through the draft and FA, and then in 09 they contend.

But Mr. Johnson got used to and started to like the writing checks process. Here came the story of the year -- Brett Favre being thrown out of the NFC North, but he was dying to play.

Suddenly Mr. Johnson took on a football point of view -- "Favre will push us over the top. It's obvious, go for it!"

Carefully laid growth plans got busted up by overly-seasoned resumes of "Home Run Hitters".

Mangini, the newbie, didn't recover. And the ultimatums started with the SB palaver in Tennesseel...

17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. Its the lynching of the Jets front office. Gang mentaility, unfourtunately, a lot of people on this site have joined the party. I am sticking with my team

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

How could any reasonably intelligent football mind want favre in here a month before the season? The move was all woody.

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

One could argue that but it's a terrible argument especially when the GM is a bean counter. I don't for a minute think that Mangini wasn't on board with every decision that was made on personal. I believe Mangini wanted to get rid of Chad but wasn't convinced that Clemens was up to the job. I believe that Mangini and Tannenbaum looked at an incredible amount of tape of Favre from the prior year and got a Woody that lasted far more than 4 hours. I believe Woody loved the idea of a marquee player and gave his blessing to do whatever it takes to get him. If Mangini didn't want Favre he could have blown it up. I also believe that one of the strikes on Mangini with Tannenbaum is his support and push to get Gholston that nobody is talking about. I'm sure it burns his ass that Mayo was DROB when Gholston was drafted for 2 reasons, one to get a pass rush and second they probably were suckered by NE that BB wanted him through Mangini back channels.