The McElroy Offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SuperBowl50, Dec 2, 2012.

1. NewEnglandJet

NewEnglandJet Banned

Tebow Tebow Tebow Tebow

2. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

Speaking of....

this is a good time to reiterate what the only intelligent use of Tim Tebow would be: as an every down player lining up at any skill position on any given play, but always after being in the huddle with McElroy on every single play. He could even be QB for a play or two.

3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Actually it was a great pass. The pass was so that noone but your WR can get the ball. Yes, it needed to be a great catch to be completed.

Look at it this way. 90% it's an incomplete pass, 10% it's a great catch for a completion. Here's the most important thing: it is 0 chance of interception.
    With Sanchez throwing, this pass is a 50/50 to be intercepted. Isn't this what we've been bitching about for so long: the idiotic give aways after a decent drive?

4. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

The only reason "his offense" worked was cause the crowd was into it and wasn't working against him. McElroy was a very little part of it.

5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

And who says this is so bad?

Brady made living out of those 7-yrds passes. Alex Smith manages the game in exactly this style: lots of running with occasional short high-percentage passes mixed in.

In fact, this is what Ryan's offense is supposed to be: lots of runs, some passing to keep Ds honest & a lot of good defence. I'll take 7-yds over idiotic red-zone turnovers any day. With our D this will mean that Jets are always in the game, always with a chance to win.

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

HEh.

Ftr McElroy threw passes yesterday that were longer than that.

You need to get off this rule of thumb you are so in love with and recognize there are exceptions to it. Like Tom Brady.

McElroy is the best Qb on the Jet roster right now. Nobody's saying he's perfect. No one is saying he's the next Joe Montana. But you should enjoy that he got it done and won the game and saved what little is left of the Jets' season after Sanchez nearly singlehandedly destroyed it.

7. Big Blocker

Ignore them. They are Sanchez Fans in denial. Real Jet fans are thrilled by what happened yesterday.

8. Big Blocker

Dude, you might consider getting a new handle. Heh.

We get taht Sanchez Fans are unhappy Greg came in and made your boy look like the crap he is.

Rough time to be a Sanchez Fan. I almost feel sorry for them.

9. It isn't flashy & on paper it leaves alot of doubt but there is something to be said for when the defense is playing well & the offense avoids turnovers. Jets biggest issue is self inflicted wounds. A game manager like Mccoy could be exactly what the franchise needs moving forward. Now Jets won't win many shootouts but if they can just avoid these boneheaded turnovers & momentum killers..it will go a long way in getting back to winning football games.

10. jets4lyfah

jets4lyfah Banned

u really can't put the win yesterday in context? an explosive crowd, few calls that went our way, and a stout running game

where did melcroy fit in that equation?

11. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i for one am excited at the prospect of getting the screen play back into the offense now that we have a qb who doesnt routinely throw it into defensive linemans arms.

powell/mcknight could really be effective in the screen game if they get opportunites

12. jerseyjay14

the part where he didnt turn it over and gave the running game a chance to get us a score.

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

McElroy runs the Alex Smith offense...Isn't that what people wanted with this team? Just wished it happened earlier we have a couple more wins

14. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

You know what I saw out of McElroy yesterday? The ability to throw the ball away and feel pressure. Sanchez is stubborn and plays scared.

15. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

The name of the game is ball faking. When you can get a defender or defenders to commit, even one step, in the wrong direction offense picks up BIG gains.

McElroy seems to master the fundamentals of football. This kind of goes back to that old saying, "you play the way you practice" or "practice the way you play." Honestly, as bad as the talent has been on offense there are weapons and there are NFL caliber players that can make plays on this team. I believe when Sanchez first arrived in New York he practiced hard. I remember they use to call him a "gym rat" that he was always in the classroom or working out. After watching McElroy execute and carry out fakes I wonder how hard Sanchez works at practice?

To me, one of the biggest knocks on Sanchez is his execution on ball fakes. I saw McElroy yesterday take the snap turn to the left, stick the ball out, (for what appeared to be a handoff going left), tuck the ball back in and hand it off on the right. Every defenders eyes were on that football running left, they froze, and for that half second that they were frozen, a Big hole opened up on the right. This is BASIC fundamental execution of a ball fake that turns a 2-3yd gain into a 7-8yd gain+.

Sanchez over time has gotten lazier and lazier on his fundamentals and ball faking. That is why defenders eat him up.

16. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

You're right. He's unproven until he's proven, like everyone else. And right now, he's an unproven 7th round draft pick. In the past 20 years, no quarterback drafted in the 7th round has won a single playoff game. Hence, skepticism.

You can absolutely point to Tom Brady as a counterpoint in this discussion. That's fair. I would simply remark that Tom Brady is arguably the greatest quarterback to ever play the game. He is, by definition, exceptional. He is the one-in-one thousand draft pick.

Kurt Warner, Jeff Garcia, Tony Romo, and Jake Delhomme (the successful undrafted QBs that always get cited in these discussions) are also not particularly comparable. Warner went to Northern Iowa. Garcia went to San Jose State. Romo went to Eastern Illinois. And Delhomme went to Louisiana-Lafayette. Nobody had seen them play. They were nobodies that slipped through the cracks. And three of the four dominated non-NFL professional leagues for years before getting shots in the NFL. McElroy played for one of the most prominent programs in the country and won a national championship. Everyone had seen him play and evaluated him in the context of nearly NFL-quality competition.

I'm not saying McElroy will absolutely, positively suck. I'm saying that your lottery example is accurate. He's a 1-in-100 type of prospect. If we want to try him out to check the lottery numbers, that's fine. I'm not opposed to it. But I'm not excited about it, either. I eagerly await better options at the QB position.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I can see a lot more 2 TE sets with McElroy in, and that gets me excited. I like what McElroy brings to the table - hopefully we see improvement though and more confidence.

18. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Yes, the crowd took the ball and made it go into the end zone. The crowd was on the field winning the game rather than the players. :breakdance:

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Brady, Pennington AND to some extent (actually mostly), McElroy.

Only Pennington was 1st round QB.

(And Brady/Pennington were both very good NFL QBs by their own rights.)

===========================

The only advantage (as a prospect coming fresh off collegiate competition) Brady had over the other two is his height (6' 5"). Pennington was 6' 3", and McElroy is 6' 2". (So is Nacho.)

Refer to the summary of the scouting report at the draft. (Somewhere in this thread.)

#79 Zach, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  20. jerseyjay14

this is really a flawed argument, since:

a) not many 7th round qbs make a roster
    b) not many 7th round qbs ever start
    c) not many qbs are taken in the 7th round

your drawing from a small sample