The McElroy Offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SuperBowl50, Dec 2, 2012.

1. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Time for the Big Mac attack. Sancho has played his way out of NY.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Our identity with McElroy is going to be a team that runs a lot and play actions a lot and doesn't complete very many passes that travel more than 7 yards vertically up the field.

If the Jets suddenly begin breaking tackles and making yards after the catch it might work against the weak schedule coming up.

And again if you are comparing McElroy to Chad you need to rethink. One was a legitimate 1st round pick and the other went in the 7th round. They are nothing alike, not even close.

3. Vic

Vic Member

They're comparing the arm strength. And Chad has him beat.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

After the arm surgeries.

McElroy's going to play his way out of a starting role if handed one. It would be nice if people didn't savage him on the way out because they think he's Chad and he's not living up to that.

5. Vic

Vic Member

Of course they're going to gang up on him after he has his first bad game. Which will most likely be next week if they start him. This team is a mess; swapping incompetent QB's isn't going to fix anything.

6. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Call me a party pooper...
    So the the PASS to Kerley was good? That looked like a a great CATCH to me.
    Penalties helped keep drives alive with one on their cb on 3rd down and Also the late hit call which was as a bad call.

The rb's start producing and the qb is Getting credit for it lmao.
    So let's not get too hyped. The best play was the PASS to Cumberland and that was a great play call and it took Gmac a good 3 seconds to throw that pass lol.

Lets not go to crazy.

7. Vic

Vic Member

Did you read the thread?

8. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

I agree. He showed promise made some nice passes but so does Sanchez every other game. I'm glad they put him in now instead of waiting until next season to see if there is a viable alternative to Sanchez. We would have to see him play a number of games against better teams to gauge his potential. I wouldn't be jumping to any conclusions. The team around him put in some extra effort to help him out. He can't count on that going forward so you have to be mindful of that emotional bump. What I took from it was he had some confidence, some skill, and was prepared enough to run the offense. All of these are positive signs.

#28 Jon_Snow, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  9. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

The TD to Cumberland was basically a handoff also :lol: . It was more that the team realized there was a change, and they rallied around that change to (try) and play better, and it worked.

10. MontrealAlouettes

The thing is, this team was already trying to implement a ground and pound offense because apparently they think Shonn Greene is a superstar running back.

We already have Sporano as our OC and possibly the worst recieving corps in the NFL, if that's the plan we might as well have a game manager QB.

Realistically McElroy isn't the answer long term but for the rest of the season he's the best bet. Sanchez is broken and Tebow is a distraction who can't run conventional offenses.

11. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I wanna see how McElroy does when the oline breaks down and the defense is getting pressure on him. Lets see how he responds when the running game isn't working and he is forced to throw more.

12. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

You watched a guy throw for 29 yards and you're saying the offense has a different identity with this quarterback and start assuming we'll run the ball consistently for the rest of the season? And what team ever in the history of football has only thrown off play action?

It was good to see and it is positive that he didn't bomb, but we saw a pathetic football team beat another pathetic football team 7-6. There was hardly enough out there to draw any kind of conclusion about what McElroy is as a NFL quarterback.

#32 Jtuds, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  13. I Am The Stig

I Am The Stig Active Member

And if McElroy tears it up next game, all we're gonna hear from Sanchez supporters are "Mark would have done the same thing" or "It was a crappy team"

In the end, no one wins.

14. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

McElroy needs to start a full game. I think he can do well under the circumstances if we do.

15. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

Dude, there is no way McElroy is going to tear it up next game. The guy has 29 career passing yards. He was a 7th round draft pick for a reason.

This isn't a heavyweight bout between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. We can either start an overpaid quarterback with a guaranteed contract that's probably the worst starter in the NFL, or we can start a 7th round draft pick that doesn't have the physical tools to excel in the NFL in the longterm. The choice doesn't matter. What matters is having better options next season.

16. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

You are fucking missing the point.

He came in near the END. OF. THE. GAME.

He really didn't have much time to throw for many yards. Assuming he throws for 29 every quarter, he probably would have gotten 116 yards. Not bad for someone who hasn't played a real live NFL snap in over two years.

Let's see him start a full game before drawing conclusions. That's the SMART thing to do. Rex is getting smarter, he took Sanchez out.

17. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

Huh? I'm not insulting him for only throwing for 29 yards. I'm saying he hasn't done anything. He's a 7th round draft pick, and quarterbacks drafted in the 7th round are 1-in-100 type prospects. He didn't do anything to change that equation today. He handed the ball off. When our running game is shredding people, we move the ball fine. See: Indianapolis. The problem is that our running game isn't all that good and certainly can't be relied upon to shred people on a weekly basis.

Also, 116 passing yards for an entire game is absolutely bad. That would be way below the worst rate in the NFL. But again, I'm not blaming McElroy for only throwing for 29 yards today. He didn't need to throw.

18. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

of course they'll defend their guy.

19. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I was at the press conference and McElroy said that he was taught by Nick Saban at Alabama to protect the football and work towards the next down. As in, aim to get a manageable 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3 on every series, don't make risky throws, trust your run game and defense. Sign me up for that!

20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The offense has to be run based as McElroy has not been getting snaps in practice all season being the 3rd string QB. Its going to take time for him to learn the playbook, develop and for the coaches to learn his strengths. Essentially he is a red shirt rookie starting without any preparation. He will have some rough stretches but it will take awhile for us to know what we have. Likely a lot more games than this season has left.

Some nice things that I saw from McElroy today was him making quick decisions. using the rollout to threaten the run and some presence. Not to mention he gave the team a big lift with 2 long drives in 4 series. But we have to remember he is essentially rookie without any preparation. The defense will have to carry the team like it has all season. Hopefully he can limit mistakes and do enough for us to win.

#40 Noam, Dec 3, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2012