The Mark Sanchez Flaws Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Oct 6, 2011.

1. TheGreenCantona

rotation of WRs

2. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

Is this real life?

3. Coach K

Coach K New Member

This times 100. And Br4d kudos for the OP

What has particularly bothered me is even though he's cut down on INTs he still throws them at the worst possible times. Not that there's a good time but it seems to be whenever were fighting to regain momentum.

His release is a little slow on some throws. Ppl denying that are crazy. Its not slow by nfl standards. Its just a thing where you would never compliment him on having. Quick release consistently.

His field vision is quite bothersome. I expected it to be farther along at this point. A few plays we consider a typical 3 and out could've been avoided by him simply making better reads

Furthermore he underthrows/overthrows a lot of ppl when he does make the correct read.

People will point to how well he plays to rebound and maybe other parts of the team then fall flat

I would simply say none of this would matter if he cleaned up what I and others have gone over.

Right now he's solid. I would struggle to say he's without a doubt good.

I only say this cause I have high expectations I think he will meet. But right now if your talking championships he does not instill the full confidence a franchise qb should

Nothing more nothing less. He does have an x factor but only seems to find it after digging holes or in the 4th qtr.

Edit: I must commend his toughness. When he gets hit I never worry bout him getting up. Fumbling though I am scared everytime

#283 Coach K, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We didn't have to limit him to succeed. We limited him because our HC philosophically believes in winning with D and running the football. He is limited because the Jets philosophy is limited.

Young QB's have to be allowed to sit and learn and throw the football and screw up. It takes time to figure it out, slow the game down and finally get it. Sanchez is on a team that wasn't just about winning now, the economy and stadium financials made it imperitive to win now. He is a cog who is being held back intentionally. Holding back a young QB doesn't mean you get rid of the mistakes it just means you limit them. You also limit the growth.

I hate his height, his release doesn't wow me but I think the kid is pretty mobile throws well when he gets his feet set and just needs to calm down and stop being afraid to step up and let the ball go. Rex and Shotty have to let the kid kill us if the kid is going to lead us.

Eli Manning went to a Giant team with a very good D and running game. He wasn't limited the Giants took their lumps and it paid off. The Packers Team is outright built around Rodgers as are the Colts and the Pats. The Jets aren't built around the QB and if they don't win eventually we will either build it around Sanchez or move on to another rebuild.

He isn't being handled by the Jets like a franchise QB why would you expect him to be one?

#284 Biggs, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yep. The Jets have taken the handcuffs off of Sanchez twice now, his first 5 starts as a rookie and the first 5 games this season. At the first sign of trouble they clamped them back on in the name of winning games now and as you point out they hampered his development in the process.

That said, I think the Jets can't go for the same style That Indy and New England did because even if Sanchez is very good the odds he is Peyton Manning or Tom Brady good are low and even at those levels those two teams have had trouble winning it all by betting the farm on their QB and the passing game.

The Giants story is actually the cautionary one for us. Eli Manning has turned into quite a good QB for them. They won the Super Bowl before he got there. They haven't been back since. Do we really want to turn the Jets into a high-flying passing team that loses to a more solid team every year at the end?

This era of super QB's is cyclical. When all the dust settles we're going to wind up back with the strong balanced teams well lead by a great game manager winning it all again.

What was it that was said about the Patriots in their dynasty period? Every game came down to one drive at the end and Tom Brady was the king of the hill on those drives.

6. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Eli won the SB against the Pats in 2007

7. Br4d

No, the Giant's tremendous pass rush won the Super Bowl. Eli just administered the coup de grace.

8. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Maybe, but he was on the team. It wasn't before he got there.

And unfortunately, he really did beat them. They were trailing with less than two minutes left and he got them into the endzone.

9. Br4d

Trent Dilfer would have won that game. The Giants would have just rushed the ball 10 times more and thrown it 10 times less.

The Giants won that game because they made Tom Brady look human and the Pat's rushing attack got shut down also.

10. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Doubtful. Hey I'm no Eli fan, but credit where it is due.

11. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I dont think Dilfer engineers that game winning drive at the end. Even if the football gods graced David Tyree on that drive.

there were a few plays Eli scrambled his ass off and kept his eyes downfield where Dilfer wouldve been sacked also.

But I totally agree with your original point, the MVP of that game was the Giants pass rush without a doubt.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If Trent Dilfer was the Giants QB they wouldn't have made it out of the second round that year. He had a great 4 game playoff run.

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I guess amazing last minute winning drives dont count for much in the SB these days?

14. Jerricholic89

Jerricholic89 Member

Trent Dilfer is the EXCEPTION not the rule. Yes you can win with a crappy qb once every ten years.

15. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Worst flaw is indescision, throw the ball or throw it away, don't pump and reload 3 times everytime you pass, you don't have enough time...

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Giants averaged 3.5 YPC in that game and 7.5 YPA pass in that game. In a game that was won on a 2 minute TD drive through the air, hard to see the logic in this thinking?

The Giants scored nothing on the ground in that game. Both TD's came through the air.

This is the problem with the ground and pound mentality. The league is built to change field position and score through the air. The run is about TOP and keeping the D honest. You can't go through the top tier teams without making big time plays through the air even in a 17 14 game.

17. mystikol

mystikol New Member

A few significant difficulties come to mind, all of which build on each other:

1. Lack of continuity with receivers. Obviously this has been said a lot already.

2. The pass protection has really struggled.

3. Sanchez struggles on timing routes.

With a struggling line, you would ordinarily want to throw quick, timing routes. But this is traditionally a weakness of Sanchez, and is compounded by the lack of continuity in the receiving corps. And the running game has been far from dominant, which of course makes his life even tougher.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Can somebody remind me what Sanchez is good at?

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Winning.

Stop watching the football and watch everything about this game. The kid has no blocking, his receivers are struggling to get open, and we can't run the ball consistently with teams stacking the box.

The ENTIRE offense is struggling.