The man has a point

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Dec 10, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we can get a WR in the 3rd round. deep WR draft

2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Exactly my point. If you can trade back acquire another 2nd get Higgins in rd 1, Little rd 2, a center, edge, cb in rd 2/3 you just had a better draft than over reaching for an OT in round 1 then getting a center in round 2 and whatever in 3.

If you can trade back and get Jackson in round 1 where he is projected instead of over reaching from 9. Then get wr, center, edge, cb. That work to... Don't over reach. Especially since Little maybe a steal in the 2nd round.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO no RT or OG is worthy of being drafted that high. While OL is vitally important, imo only a LT is worthy of being drafted that high. The only time I would draft a RT or OG that high would be if I had a top 10 pick, couldn't trade down, it was a weak draft, and that player was head and shoulders above anyone else, and a likely perennial All Pro or at least Pro Bowler.

KurtTheJetsFan and J-Raw24 like this.
  4. J-Raw24

Lol I agree. I was just trying to prove the point. I still hope pick 1 is wr or ot. Depending how the draft falls. I think cb can be answered in FA very easily this year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree with that order. WR is MUCH more important than CB! Even if the Jets re-sign both Robby and Thomas, that leaves a WR corps of maybe Crowder, Robby, Thomas, Bellamy and Vyncint Smith. That isn't going to help Sam develop. He needs top flight WR talent. With a better pass rush, CB is less important, and while it may hinder the team's progress towards the postseason, it isn't going to hold Sam's development back, and that and protecting Sam must be the #1 priority this offseason. I think it's OL/WR tied for #1, Edge Rusher #2 and CB a distant 3rd.

6. J-Raw24

Again we have several months to go. But i think some of those are projecting them higher due to the lack of quality lineman in the nfl. And Leatherwood and Adams will both be guards... not tackles... in the NFL.

Either way my point is if our big board doesn't have OT available where we are picking and there isn't a trade back option worth it. But if has a WR there. You don't take a lineman 10 picks back. You take the WR. Because there are 10 more OTs available in round 2. Same goes the reverse of that.

7. J-Raw24

And the wr in rd 3 are less of a chance of a Julio and more of a chance of a Stephen Hill.

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

In general, I agree, that it's better to have several good WRs than one great one and a bunch of stiffs. I also agree that there at least seems to be a greater bust potential with 1st round WRs. That said, one has to trust one's scouting and assesment of players.

There may not be an OL we have rated highly at our pick and are unable to trade down. If there's no edge rusher we have rated as highly as the "star" WR prospect sitting there, I'm taking the "star" WR prospect every single time. Also, if one wants great players (and every team needs them at key positions to enhance their chances of winning), you have to take them when they fall into your lap. A prime example is Mahomes. He fell into our laps. Mac got cute or because he had taken Hackenturd, he passed, and we missed on a generational QB talent, and wound up having to trade a slew of picks for a QB who may never even become a top 10 QB. On top of that, he got lucky that that QB was even there and not Josh Rosen.

If there's no stud OL or Edge Rush prospect at the Jets' pick, no opportunity to trade down, and Lamb or Jeudy is sitting there, Douglas would be a fool to pass on him and reach for an OL.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I believe that we will take advantage of this being a very strong and deep draft for OL. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't address the OL in FA, and I totally disagree with your assertion that the OL class in FA is weak.

KurtTheJetsFan, J-Raw24 and mrjet80 like this.
  10. J-Raw24

Fact is no good GM has ever gone into the draft and said. I'm going to take an OT with my first pick. I don't care if its an over reach. That's what I'm taking. You devise multiple plans involving every position of need. You rank the player and try to take them as close to that rank as possible. You don't set yourself on one position.

11. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I think a "reach" is almost impossible for the Jets in the 2020 draft. Just about every position of major need ( OL, CB, EDGE, WR, and even RB ) should be available in the top three to four rounds retrospective to the talent level. If they do go OL in the first round for example there will plenty to choose from with the other positions or even another OL in the second round and going forward.....

JetsNation06 likes this.
  12. mrjet80

JD will be doing himself a huge favor adding at least one starting OL and some quality OL depth in FA. Whether he feels re-signing Lewis, Shell, etc. satisfies the depth part is up to him but I expect at least one brand new starter to be added in FA alone.

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Of course they have. We've had our general managers go into the draft almost every year needing a defensive tackle.

But to your point, those are usually the shitty run organizations that don't understand the draft.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'll be a bit disappointed if it's only one. Even if it's a lower tier signing. It has to be an improvement over Tom Compton.

JetsNation06, J-Raw24 and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree with you about Adams being an OG in the NFL. He is probably the most technically sound LT in the draft class. If not for his injuries, he would be the #1 OT taken. I think he will definitely play LT in the NFL.

16. J-Raw24

The only for sure top 10 OT in this draft is Thomas. Most people have Wirfs up there as well, but Thomas is in everyones top 10. So I'm not opposed to trading back. That depends on how strong Douglas feels about Lamb. If he has lamb graded as number 5 on his big board then swings so be it.

Same goes if we trade back. If we are at 15 or 17 or whatever if he has an OT rated in that area or Higgins then you swing at that. You don't pass it up for an OT you have rated 32nd.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. mrjet80

Compton isn't starter material. I meant one starter via FA as in Scheriff or even Conklin at tackle.

I feel signing a new starter guard or tackle, adding depth pieces ( the Jets current OL backups are among the worst in the league ) would set them up well for the draft. Let's say two high draft picks. That gives the Jets 3 possibly 4 new starters on the OL next year.

18. GasedAndConfused

leatherwood likely will play guard, adams won't though. he's a prototypical LT you want. tall, long arms, and atheltic. reminds be a lot of brick. could pack on some extra pounds too as he has the frame for it. also this isn't a "mock draft" were you reach for need. big boards are straight ratings as a prospect

19. GasedAndConfused

not at all, have you seen the breakdown? WR is the best position to not grab in the 1st round. all the best ones come from later rounds. you have a better chance at a stephin hill in the 1st then the 3rd-5th and it stings more that way too

20. J-Raw24

I really like Little more atm. He would be a top 10 pick and maybe rated higher than Thomas without the injury. He was having a great college career. But now he could be a day 2 pick because he didn't get to show off in 2019. Adam's has been projected as both OT and OG. Personally if I drafted him he would start at LG and see where he progresses. But I wouldn't take him out of the running for LT.