The loss hurts, but feels good to know we have a QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Zach has bottomed out this year. He is just not ready yet as simple as that. He came from non P5, had 1 good season there, and is 23 years of age. At that same age even Mike White, who so far looked good, stunk too, even worse, playing atrocious in preseason for Cowboys. It might take time for Zach, but the story is not necessarily over. There were enough flashes and even full games, where you could see him potentially eventually developing. The odds of that of course have decreased significantly given he is not ready after two seasons, but not completely eliminated. I just know that this year he is not there and can learn from people better than him to then give it anther shot next year.

In the meantime Mike White from what I have seen thus far looks much better than last year and even much better than 3 months ago in preseason. He is 27, gives us the best chance to win, and it's a no brainer to find out what we have in him. Critical game against the Bills coming, the team he shit the bed against last year. A perfect measuring stick for progress. After 8 games this year I think we will know what we have and then make a decision from there. If looks like Kirk Cousins type by the end of the season, I doubt JD will let him walk.

2. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

This thread is classic knee jerk reaction. It remains to be seen if the Jets have their QB. Mike White played well IMO but by no means does that mean we have our guy. If the Jets want to win the SB they must get better play from Mike White. He's better than Zach but that's not saying anything.....

#142 NYJ1970, Dec 6, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The standard is and should be different for 23 yard old #2 pick vs 27 year old 5th round pick, picked off the waivers. At 27 you are not going to get 20 starts to find out who you are, unlike #2 overall pick who is young. At Mike's stage of career, this is your chance, and you either take it or not. So far I feel Mike has done well with the opportunity. He needs to continue against Buffalo and beyond. Buffalo is particularly meaningful because they have really good defense, unlike two other teams he faced, and the fact he played terrible against them last year. I hope by the end of the season he will prove himself, get resigned, and be NYJ starting QB in 2023 with Zach behind him as a back-up. Every game that passes by is the opportunity to get there. So far so good, but the job is not done.

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Chicago is terrible though and they were playing with their backup QB.

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I don't see this at all.

I see a traditional tunnel/jailbreak screen to the right side where the pass hits him right in the chest as he's working back to the ball. If anything it hits him in the shoulder that's upfield. There was no reason for Braxton to try and take this outside IMO.

If Braxton follows his blockers, he's probably gotta make 1 guy miss inside the 5 (most likely #22, Harrison Smith) and it's a TD.

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

8. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Because he can't run. That was the only thing missing on Sunday. If he could scramble for positive yards a few times, I think things will open up even more for him down field.

KY Jets Fan and DetroitRed like this.
  9. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

He did not against the colts, he actually played well and got hurt.

K'OB, IIMeanDeanII and PennyRoyal10 like this.
  10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I was excited about the first half of this tweet, but the second half really devalued it

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Mike White is competent. I know I'm not saying anything knew but he needs a full season to get a proper and fair evaluation. By that I mean just 17 games in total regardless of of season. Barring any injuries hopefully. I'm not into getting another QB in the draft especially with the team we have constructed already. Zach should never see the light of day outside of both our QB's getting hurt and even then I don't wanna see him.

12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

So... We can all root for Zach Wilson's shit show for 20 games.

..but we gotta pump the brakes on the possibility of a young backup QB being something special for this team after 6 games? He has had one truly poor showing. That was last year against the Bills. Otherwise, he's had awesome passing games, the offense has been humming especially well. I seen a stat that would've put us as the 3rd best offense with Mike White under center for us. That's impressive. Only behind KC and BIlls.

I am optimistic. All I know.

Poeman, stinkyB, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  13. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

The pass was too far in the backfield. Saw it live saw it in. The replay and video. No one designs a play where the pas is 4-5 yards behind LOS when caught in that type of screen.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It may have looked like it live. But I am looking at all 22. The pass is one yard behind LOS - 8 yard line right as Berrios comes back. It's a perfect pass. Mike White made some costly mistakes in this game, like missing open Moore for 1st down on 3d and 10 on the last drive of the game, or overthrowing GW for 80 yard walk in TD, but this one was not one of them.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

I know the play sucked all around. I still think on tunnel screens that has to be a ball that brings the WR forward or down the line of scrimmage, never going to be successful if ball is thrown were WR is going backwards or has to stop.

16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

lol what are you talking about? berrios is working back towards white mike before the ball is even thrown. where else is the throw supposed to go? this type of screen happens often. there are several examples in the video below.

if berrios does his job, hes one on one with harrison smith for an easy touchdown

Borat likes this.