The lack of patience is astounding

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Oct 1, 2014.

1. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

My patience with Geno is wearing a little thin. I'm not seeing the improvement that I was hoping to at this point.

However, with respect to the GM, you need to have patience. If you dont, you're going to go crazy. With 20 million in cap space and no FA splurging this past summer, this is clearly a multi year plan. Missing on Geno really hurts, and I'm just hoping Idzik doesnt hitch his wagon to Geno. Idzik should absolutely look for a safer QB who can work within the confines of this teams strengths.

If the Jets are going to continue this strategy of not forcing INT's, they cant have a QB who throws so many. I really think this team could be set up to make a deep playoff run. Maybe not the SB, but could make the championship game. With Geno though, I dont know if that's possible. This team is in dire need for a Russell Wilson type game manager.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If it's common, then you are saying the entire NFL including the Jets up until this year lacks common sense. QBs at Geno's draft position putting up the numbers he has been don't get 2o starts let alone 32.

I personally do not want to bench Geno for Vick. However, it's not because I need more time "to see what we have". I already know that Geno is NOT the guy. Sadly, I'm for keeping Geno the starter simply for draft position and if I'm lucky to force major shake ups in the FO down. The starting Vick ship has sailed. The time for that would have been at training camp through open competition. Then just maybe we had an outside shot at possibly making the playoffs. Like a lot of other things this offseason, we royally fucked that up.

Though it seems we somewhat agree with Geno, I wouldn't be so quick to call fans ready to move on from Geno delusional or lacking common sense.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

While I personally think Vick should start now, i understand your POV. I even thought before the season started that, while with a few moves they could have been a playoff contender, since those moves were not made (#2 Cb, another wideout, perhaps more OL help), even starting Vick was going to be an uphill climb.

I even think Vick thinks so. I am concerned that he seems happy to collect his pay and wait til next year, probalby with another team. I am not happy about that, but I can understand it. If I were him, seeing the way this clown show is run, it makes a certain sense.

Having said that I do not believe you should ever play to lose for draft position or otherwise.

I am not as certain Smith is not the answer as you, but I do think what "improvement" we have seen is minimal, and not enough to count on him achieving an adequate amount of improvement on any reasonable timeline. Far from it. I think it is in fact very unlikely he will, and so unlikely that with Vick available, Vick should start.

9-7 is not impossible, and it would be foolish to assume it is when 9-7 should win this division. Beyond that I think playing to lose hurts the development of younger players, and makes the Jets a problematic candidate for future FA signings.

inri2000 and TNJet like this.
  4. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I honestly didn't expect to see a championship calibre team this year. What I hoped for was Geno building off how he finished up last season. I hoped that Dee and the other young guys in the secondary would start to grow into their roles and work out their growing pains. Sadly, at this point we have more questions than answers...

5. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

2013: In the last 4 games the Jets played Oak, Car, Clev, and Miami

Geno was 4 TD and 2 INTs, 59% completion, with 3 rushing TDs and no fumbles.

Actually, he has regressed. Don't you think that comparing him to later in the year is a better comparison than his first 4 games as a pro? That's a pretty low bar. He went from the 32nd rated QB to the 31st. That's all the improvement you expect? You are satisfied with that? By the time he is 53, he should be a stud.

6. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

sure they do... i mean, just in recent history alone:

Gabbert 28 starts before jaxsonville moved on
    Locker 26 starts for the titans and they are still not scrapping him just yet
    Henne 32 starts for miami beofre they moved on
    weeden 23 starts for the browns before they moved on
    Ponder 34 starts before the vikings went elsewhere

and those 5 guys were all just as awful as Geno has been... some worse.

7. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Please see Matt Flynn & Jimmy Clausen.

8. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

so the 5 guys i posted dont count because you posted 2 others that teams didnt stick with?

not to mention your 2 examples arent great. Matt Fylnn Came into the league playig behind aaron rogers. he then went to seattle and was beat out by a rookie, russell wilson. Michael Vick is not aaron rogers. Simms is not Russell Wilson. its nowhere near the same situation. flynn never even got a chance to start for the team he was drafted by. claussen was a late second round pick, and the panthers picked newton #1 overall the next season. who is the #1 draft pick QB we took this year that should be taking geno's job?

the examples is posted were MUCH better. guys drafted in the first or early second and given a ton of starts despite being awful and losing.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I know Henne is no comparison. First of all he hardly played his rookie year, backing up Pennington. He came in his second year only after Chad got hurt, and in fact he played better and better as the year went on. He was slated to start the 201o season and did play the first half as a starter, before (based on a 4-4 record - not at all Smith's situation) he lost the job to Chadwick, but Chad got hurt and then Henne got hurt, losing the job to Thigpen. When he came back, it was coming back from injury, and that appeared to affect his play, so he got pulled again. The next year the fish tried to get another Qb, but it ended up being between him and Moore going into 2011, wiht Henne winning the job. He played well but ended his season due to injury.

So how is that supposed to be a comparison to Smith???

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I said players of Geno's "draft position" and lower as well as poor numbers. From that list only Henne was a second round draft pick. Henne did not compete in a farce veiled as competition for the starting job his rookie year as Geno did. Henne got the job his second year after injury and put up better numbers than Geno did. When you find the mystical 2nd round or lower QBs that were gifted as many starts as Geno despite their poor play, you can claim your prize.

11. PennyRoyal10

Chad Pennington/2002_68.9%_22 TD_6 INT_104.2 QB Rating. Like Staind said, it's been a while...

Chadchrebet likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMHO we are in a constant death spiral with the NY Jets. It doesn't much matter if you are a long time suffering jet fan going back to 1969 or you started your journey routing for the Jets in the late 90s. The level of pain per year is roughly the same, only difference is the duration and length of unbelievable frustration that is burning every single fan up.

I believe this is what ailing most all of us:

WE JUST DONT EVER SEEM TO GET BETTER. WE REBOOT THE ORGANIZATION WITH A NEW GM/HC CYCLE EVERY 4 YEARS OR SO, A MOVE THAT SMEELS AND LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER REBUILT, ALL WITH WITH HIGH HOPES BUT LUKE WARM RESULTS.
    FRUSTATIONS ARE RUNNING HIGH TODAY BECAUSE WE CAN ALMOST FEEL ANOTHER START OVER CYCLE. PATIENCE IS SHORT EVEN WITH IDZIK BECAUSE THE "DEJA VU" FACTOR IS REAL . HERE WE GO AGAIN, WE HAVE BEEN HERE BEFORE..OVER AND OVER.
    JUST ABOUT EVERY MOVE THE ORGANIZATION HAS MADE OVER THE YEARS , EVERY SINGLE GM/HC CHANGE, EVERY SINGLE REBUILD CYCLE, EVER SINGLE ATTEMPT AT GETTING OUT OF THIS DEATH SPIRAL HAS FAILED MISSERABLY.

And so as we enter year 3 of Idzik, we are once again perceiving some of the same smelly results in the making. May be he is going in the right direction, but the trouble signs are evident on and off the field.

1) We have not had a good enough QB we can rally around since times memorial. Like it or not the road to success begins and ends with your QB. I will venture to say probably 70% of the fans and some of the coaches might be in the same camp in casting serious doubts about Geno. If that is the case and we must once again depend on a good draft or a free agent we might be another 3 years away, at the beginning of another cycle.

2) We don't ever get the feeling that we have the type of organization from the top down that can bring the respectability and capability to be a consistent winner. It doesn't seem top GMs and or HCs are interested in going to the Jets.

3) The ownership seems to have placed more emphasis on profit than on winning. I do not advocate foolish spending, but savvy spending to make us a winner. It's thru winning that you become profitable, not the other way around.

It takes some real top down flow of expectations to become a winner. And it takes some savvy football executives to implement it, thru the draft, free agency and top knotch coaching. We don't seem to have captured that yet.

Like it or not our wild card is for Geno to really step his performance up to the level that will make us believe in him. Unfortunately for him his weapons a few and his mistakes magnified because of the talent he has been surrounded with
    Is marginally acceptable. The depth at WR is non existent and the game plan to make Geno successful is transparent.

We knew it was going to be a tough year for us, and we did not necesserarily expected a playoff contender, but for sure we expected a much better confirmation from our starters that we are moving in the right direction with the right talent. THAT IN MY OPINION HAS NOT BEING THE CASE AND THE SOURCE OF SUCH FRUSTRATION FOR ALL Jet fans.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Has it been 12 years already? Wow...

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

It's frustrating because for the people who predicted that Geno was not a future NFL starter, his pro performance so far has just confirmed this prediction. So we sit here waiting for who knows how long until the inevitable conclusion is reached while everyone else tells us to be patient and that we're irrational.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

stop being so impatient.

16. PennyRoyal10

And maybe the worst part is that was Chad's first season of significant PT - little did we know that was his high-point as a Jet. So we finally draft THE guy and he's only able to really be a top QB for all of 12 games...

abyzmul likes this.
  17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Andy Dalton, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, all say hello. All second round or later picks that shit on Geno's stats by this time in their career.

It's amazing that people think only guys like Andrew Luck are good quickly. I'm not asking for Andrew Luck. I'm asking for a quarterback who is fuckin average. Is that so fuckin hard?!

inri2000 likes this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You're right. I shouldn't have said anything at all until at least 2020. Guess I'm a bad Jets Fan.

19. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Average... did you say average... average...

20. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Mike Glennon....