the John Idzik Thread. (All GM Discussion in Here)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Run_N_gun10, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The question of whether we were better off in 2006 or 2013 is irrelevant. The shortcuts that the Jets took in 2007, 2008 and 2009 essentially capped them. Too many older players brought in en masses to fill holes. Too many younger players not drafted at all because the Jets were sinking 3 picks apiece into a bunch of players, some who worked out and some who didn't. Too many draft picks traded for older players. A 3rd and a 5th looked like a steal for Kris Jenkins. We know how that turned out. A 3rd and a 5th for Braylon Edwards. Ditto. An amorphous pick for Favre to spearhead Mangini's last season.

We kept taking short cuts and sooner or later when you take a short cut you wind up lost in the woods with no idea how to get back on the path. If you keep taking short cuts it's just a question of when, not whether.

There are very few short cuts on this 2014 Jets roster. The ones that are there are obvious and they'll either work out or they'll be gone fairly quickly. CJ, Vick and Babin, all brought in to play roles on the team where there were other people expected to produce. All unlikely to be on the 2016 team although any of them could surprise us.

The biggest difference between the previous regimes and this regime is that vets were often brought in to be mainstays on 4+ year deals. This regime has done that twice and in both cases they did it cost-effectively.

For the record there were 22 players brought in between 2001 and 2012 and signed to 4+ year deals to start for the Jets. There were slightly more in this category in the 5 years from 2001 to 2005 than in the 7 years from 2006 to 2012.

That's because the first regime essentially built their defensive backfield from free agents before 2005.

#101 Br4d, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

There goes your problem. I never said the Jets "failed" at anything. In fact, I said "I appreciate the overall premise of patience". I just asked that we slow down on the whole Idzik has this Seattle like championship plan narrative that gets thrown out there to explain every move he makes or lack there of. All I'm saying you can turn things around quickly in the NFL just as easily as you can take have a 3-5 years plan that amounts to shit.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

We can all speculate on the reasons Tanny was fired, but to me it was not so much the 6-10 record as it was moves made in the previous off season. Part involved his role in the Tebow Fiasco, although there's blame to be shared there with Woody and perhaps Ryan. But the main thing was the Sanchez contract extension. It was done in panic to assuage MS's hurt feelings over the Tebow trade, was undeserved by Sanchez and extended the time the Jets essentially could not cut MS another year.

Of course those were not the only problems, and some might focus on such things as the Holmes and Cromartie contracts, the looming no good options choices on what to do with Revis, and the lack of any competition for Sanchez. But I think Tanny would still be here despite those problems but for hte Sanchez contract.

Comparing the 12 team with last year's, it's hard to find a clear upgrade in roster talent. The best piece of evidence in that regard was drafting Richardson. But the second best was signing Ivory, which was an FA move and not a draft pick, and supposedly not a big part of Idzik's approach to rebuilding the team. And the record of the 13 team was not much better, either. Most of that improvement was based on luck, such as the TB game and facing teams that were cratering down the stretch.

Much will depend on how the roster performs this season. I don;t think Idzik gets a pass this year no matter what the record or effort.

legler82 likes this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If it's irrelevant why bother go through all that trouble of looking up all that stuff to respond. I thought that was the catalyst for this bombardment of opposition.

While I thought Tanny deserved to be fired for his recent poor drafts, I don't buy in to this belief that his all in approach was wrong. The same contracts that hindered us led to cap space we have now just 2 removed from his departure. The cuts Idzik made to get to this point are the same moves that every Jets fan and beat writer said we would do and needed to do. I think it's fair to say that Tanny or any other GM could have done the exact same thing as we pretty much had to. Given the opportunity I think I would definitely sacrifice a couple bad seasons thereafter for a couple legitimate shots at the SB. Especially, if I can then clean house and start anew just 2 years later. At the end of the day, Idzik will be judge on his draft choices, FA acquisitions and playoff wins. Aside from Sheldon, I don't understand the blind faith in Idzik. IMO think the championship roster talk is just as silly as the fire Idzik talk.

5. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

The OP assumes that Rex picked Sheldon. Makes sense that a first year GM who's tying to put his imprint on the team he is now running would defer a first round draft pick to the holdover coach that he inherited. I like Rex, and I like Idzy. That doesn't mean that I like every decision they make. It's going to take some patience when evaluating Idzik's overall competency...

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The all-in approach was wrong. The Jets didn't have the QB to make it work and the one year they had the QB they had a 39 year old guy who didn't want to be here.

As to the Championship roster talk, flawed teams win the Super Bowl all the time.

That's like the Giants two wins in a nutshell.

That's like the Ravens winning after getting 10 wins and finishing middle of the pack on both offense and defense in terms of yards gained and allowed.

It's like the Packers winning in the year they went 10-6 and kept losing games to teams under .500. None of those in the playoffs lucky for them, huh?

It's like the Saints winning in the year they couldn't stop the run and matching up against the Cardinals (28th rushing team), Vikings (Adrian Peterson fumbled twice and Vikings fumbled 6 times overall) and Colts (32nd rushing team) in the playoffs.

Half of the NFL has a Championship caliber roster at this point because parity has made the openers in that conversation less formidable. Last year was the first year in a long time where neither of the teams in the Super Bowl got there with a hot rush at the end and a lot of luck.

All of that said, I don't think the Jets have a Championship caliber roster at this point. I just wouldn't be all that surprised if my perception was different by the time December rolls around.

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Idzik is not the problem.
    In fact we have finally started to build a nice YOUNG core of players. Idzik has sprinkled in some nice vet FA's to help the young guys and get results now.
    If he cant sign Mo or if he panics and starts trading away draft picks THEN i could understand some heat... Far too early to judge Idzik.

8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

9. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

The problem I have with the rebuild is that Rex should have been gone and we should have started all over.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No you can't, not and maintain extended success unless you get extremely lucky. You can bring in expensive veteran FAs and compete for a year or two as the Jets did in 2009 & 2010, but then you pay the consequences...bloated cap and can't get rid of those older, more expensive players and then you team falls out of playoff contention for several years. Some rookies come in and contribute at a high level immediately. Other take some time, perhaps even a year or two to develop. It's not an exact science. Luck plays a huge part in it, but the abilities of your scouting dept. and your CS also play a big part.

11. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

The Jets are a couple of receivers and cornerbacks away from being a good team. Idzik inherited a team lacking talent and direction. I'd give him an A for effort and a B for results. We needed a QB and he drafted the best one available. We lost our best CB and he replaced him. We'll have to wait a couple of years to see the results. His problem is that he waits too long before making a decision. He sat on his hands when Revis was available and let him go to NE. We needed another WR and he didn't sign one. Now his decisions will cost us. Decker is hurt and Millner is perpetually injured. The question is can Idzik - Rex work? Who knows?

Run_N_gun10 likes this.
  12. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

It starts with ownership stupidly (or stubbornly) replacing one cap manager with another at GM.

The bottom line is your GM and coach have to have an eye for talent. And they have to care about more than just one side of the ball. Pete Carroll and John Schneider. Phil Emery and Marc Trestman.

When was the last time the New York Jets drafted a receiver as skilled as Jordy Nelson? Keyshawn Johnson maybe?

When was the last time the coaching staff developed a standout QB or offensive skill position player?

Having Terry Bradway continue to have influence in scouting and front office work is the definition of insanity.

Run_N_gun10 likes this.
  13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The bottom line is the bottom line,we didn't need to save all this cap space we could have signed a viable corner to start oppisite Millner as Millner develops.Millner might have developed better if he had a guy like Revis to watch and play with and learn from

14. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

It is way too early to objectively judge Idzik, but people are overreacting because maybe they thought we would compete for the Superbowl this year. As far as his drafting, I'd say he had a really good first year, drafting Richardson (DROY) and Geno (who is looking if not great at least like a capable quarterback this year), and don't forget Bohannon, who looked really good yesterday. Jury is still out on Milliner and Winters is looking more and more like a bust, but obviously no one hits with every pick. If we can get a stud DE/DT and a decent QB, and a starting fullback, that's a pretty good draft year. This year, too early to tell now. Then you have to look at his free agent signings/trades, Decker is looking really good now, Ivory was a great acquisition, Vick is a good back up, Giaconmini is alright.

We still have major holes obviously, secondary in particular, but Rome wasn't built in a day. All of you whining about Idzik not signing a veteran CB in the offseason, have you watched the Giants game yesterday? Rodgers-Cromartie had some moments, but he also got burned a bunch of times by a backup QB. Do you think he would've come in and shut down Nelson against Rodgers? Probably not, and this guy is getting 8 million a year.

Run_N_gun10 likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The real question is, when was the last time the Jets were in the position to? And if you say Alshon Jeffery I'll just have to laugh, and anyone with a brain and two eyes knows why.

16. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

In response to some of the posters without insight & foresight: I wasn't calling for Idzik's head, just illuminating the fact that he is in over his head...when it comes to talent acquisition & the Jets team & Jets' fans have to suffer for that. Jets Jets had 12 picks this season....where is the "GLARING" talent. Who is that standout talent that glows when he's on the field; that player that at 1st glimpse...u say"who is that". The answer is "NONE". There is not 1 player that stands out in this years draft that Sparkles. Yes....we have hope....yes were waiting for Jalen Saunders to run more than 10 yards with a punt. Yes....were waiting for Jalen Saunders to catch a pass in a real game...or maybe even line up wide. A lot of the players Jets drafted seem like developmental prospects. Where are the un-drafted F.A.'s that make an impact ? Where are the impact players ??? Last years picks were good, solid, Geno is the real deal, Richardson...maybe Milner. But this year 12 picks & $30million in cap room & Jets have no impact players. If u call urselfs Jets fans...then "wake the "fuk" up & shake urselves up." If ur willing to settle for mediocrity...then go root for another team.....cause ur not a true Jets fan. Where is the Pass Rushers ? Jets have needed upgrades at OLB position for 3 years now. If Jets have a pass-rusher yesterday...the outcome would have been likely different.
    For posters who call Jets defense "Great" or front 7 as Great....Jets defense ain't really great...there just good against the run & that's mostly due to Big Snacks & #93 Kenrick Ellis. Jets need a "PREMIER" player to add to that unit...{John Abraham type} to get this fine unit over the top. Again....Idzik needs help, that the main point. No it's not because the Jets lost that I'm cring sour grapes, it's because when I see the talent on the roster...Jets are below par. Please check out "Pro football focus" as they evaluate talent of all NFL teams. Okay...Jets maybe are in top 15 teams in league ? Some may see that as good, But that's not good enough for a real Jets fan. How many of Jets starters can start on the Seahawks, 49'ers ??? Jets have a ways to go. Why were Seahawks able to run ball down Packers throat...because Seahawks have a better OL than the Jets. Jets are weak at both Guard positions & LG is weaker than RG. Idzik needs to bring an assistant to help with the talent evaluating. And as far as Eric Decker...He's a decent #2 WR & we all know you don't pay that much for #2 WR.
    Question....How many rookies did you see "Flash" during the pre-season for the Jets???
    Why is Greg Salas & Hakim on roster ? Stephen Hill was clearly better than both of them...whether u liked him or not. David Nelson???? Jets WR group looks busted right now & Decker is gonna be out for awhile {Hamstring}, cause if he plays this week, he's gonna pull it & be out a month....yep. Jets better give Saunders a shot at WR, he's got some sparkle to him....or I smell trouble. Aboushi might be splitting some reps at LG very soon. Again...w/o pass-rusher...in this passing age of the NFL....teams are lost w/o one. Seahawks have 4. Defense....speed....speed...speed...Now....If you think I don't know what I'm saying....lets re-visit this thread around week#9. Here's a lil tidbit...did anybody check out the Cleveland Browns defense....looks interesting. Gotta draft pass-rushers...gotta get to the QB. 11 on 11...has turned into 7 on 7....2-hand touch. 1-mississippi; 2-mississsippi; 3-mississippi; 4-mississippi....."S-A-C-K-E-D" !!!!!!!

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not a chance in hell anyone is reading that post. Holy shit I've never seen something so visually unappealing that contains nothing but words.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  18. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Which corner did you want Idzik to sign? Revis wasn't happening, DRC looks like crap, and Verner looks okay, but we clearly weren't sold on him as a man to man corner. Thurmond is out for the year with a injury and he was only a slot corner.

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  19. Run_N_gun10

Good coach or not....Rex keeps the games xciting...

20. Run_N_gun10

Last years draft was solid...but this years draft has been a mess. Amaro...for all his good hands...he doesn't have much foot speed....not a game changer....