the John Idzik Thread. (All GM Discussion in Here)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Run_N_gun10, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Allen and Walls did not play well in the first half. The front seven were what was holding Rodgers back. But he made some nice plays on the Jets secondary, and Ryan obviously felt he needed to put Milliner in there. Unfortunately Milliner is still ailing.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I don't think there is real a chance of Pryor being a bust. If he can't cut it at FS, we can always play him at SS where he should excel based on his skill set. That said; I would still consider it strike on Idzik if it came to that. Reason being FS along with CB and WR would yet be another position of need going into the draft that he failed to address with 12 picks at his disposal. Not to mention Pryor at SS means potentially loosing Double A as a starter.

I also don't think Amaro will be a bust either. He's a big body that can catch the ball; there's always room on a roster for a player like that. The question is would we have been better served with a different position like WR?

3. legler82

Walls, Allen and Wilson got beat too. Milliner coming off an injury got beat by an all-pro WR on a double move; that I can live with that. What bothers me are not the physical errors but mental ones (i.e., Pryor not knowing his assignments and taking poor tackling angles). At the end of the day, Pryor has to make that play. IMO that's why he was drafted. We gave up too many big plays last year with our FS either missing a crucial tackle or not being where he is suppose to be to provide the proper help.

#63 legler82, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    FJF likes this.
  4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

This thread is a joke. Even those who have their issues with Idzik must recognize how idiotic the OP sounds.

5. MaximusD163

Watching our team play yesterday tells me a few things.

1. I believe we are a top 15 team in the league, perhaps better.

2. Geno's progression is looking solid, and Idzik is in the process of putting together a really solid team.

3. Jets fans are panicky fuckers.

CaneGreen and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

We have battered wife syndrome

RPOZ51 likes this.
  7. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I mean with our history can you blame us lol

8. MaximusD163

I'm not going to sit here and say our secondary was good yesterday, but that doesn't mean it's time to call for Idzik's head. We got extremely unlucky in regards to our secondary, with multiple injuries and a flake-out from a player with no history of flaking out throughout his entire tenure in the league. We have to see where Milliner is once he's healthy, but I'm sure CB will be on the schedule for the offseason. I still don't believe that our secondary will tank our season, since our offense is clearly much better than most fans thought it would be.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Milliner should not have been out there that much in the 2nd half. I was under the impression he was suppose to be in a limited role. Walls and Allen at least were able to limit the yards after the catch which is what beat us in the end. Milliner wasn't healthy enough to be going up against one of the best in the league. That's all I'm saying. Wilson getting beat was expected.

10. 101GangGreen101

They played better than Milliner who wasn't ready to take on a large role so quickly.

11. legler82

How are you judging his health? On the results? Based on his short history here, shouldn't Milliner getting beat be somewhat expected as well? For better or for worse, he's our #1 CB. So if he's ready to go, you play him. Let's not forget he made some plays out there too.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I would suggest that your initial resistance to Rex is what is driving your resistance to this day.

Did you really feel Rex was a bad HC as the Jets were going to back to back AFC Championship Games?

The Jets talent has been on an inevitable downturn since 2011. Everybody got old at the same time and the previous regime's trade ups largely failed, leaving the Jets with not enough young talent to compensate for all the veteran departures. On most teams this type of talent deficit turns into 18-30 over the last 3 years. On the Jets it turned into 22-26. That's Rex at work, doing all the things you hate apparently, keeping the team's focus on the positive instead of the negative, forcing the team into a conservative shell at times so that the talent that is there doesn't get over-exposed, generally refusing to give up the ship even when it seemed to be sinking.

Was it a perfect run? No, the Jets had Mark Sanchez and then a rookie Geno Smith at QB with not nearly enough talent around them to make things work right. They had holes on the defensive side all three seasons, holes that Rex largely covered up with the occasional mistake. They had a special teams deficit for several years because when you keep trading up you're using UDFA's on ST's instead of mid to late round picks that you took looking for superior ST players.

None of this is on the HC. It's his job to get the most out of the pieces he is given and by and large Rex has done that. We all thought the 2011 Jets were going to the playoffs but in fact with a gaping hole on the offensive line and an aging and ineffective receiving corps they were probably a 4-12 team on offense. On defense they had a couple of young guys and an aging team almost everywhere else. The 2011 Jets defense was probably an 8-8 crew. Old, slow, great on the back end. 8-8.

The 2012 team was 4-12 all over the place.

The 2013 team was 5-11 talent.

That's what your replacement head coach would have gotten out of the Jets over the last three seasons. 6-8 wins in 2011, 4-12 in 2012 and 5-11 in 2013. Welcome to him if you really want it.

Wade Phillips won a single playoff game in his career. This despite having John Elway and Tony Romo among his QB's. When Rex gets a QB that good you can start to compare the two of them. Phillips was *handed* John Elway and Tony Romo and couldn't do anything with either of them.

The guy you're thinking of is Bum Phillips, fired by the Oilers after three straight playoff appearances that included 4 wins. The Oilers took a decade to make the playoffs again after that brilliant decision.

And if Rex wasn't a good HC the Jets would be underperforming their talent levels (which they are not and never have been under Rex btw) and wouldn't be winning crunch games in the playoffs (which they have done both years they had the talent to do it.)

Which Rex has clearly done. MM is not a run 52% of the time kind of guy. He's a run 40% of the time kind of guy and yet the Jets have run the football more often than they have passed it since MM became the OC. That's Rex.

You really want him micro-managing the calls on offense to get to that point of maximum comfort for him?

Run_N_gun10 likes this.
  13. 101GangGreen101

Awareness, a step slow, rust, etc these all play a role.

If he's ready to go, you don't have to throw him out there to the wolves - you ease him in slowly. Our CBs weren't that bad early on. He made 1 pass defection as I remember, but that wasn't on Nelson.

Run_N_gun10 likes this.
  14. legler82

He was eased in. He only played a few snaps. Don't know if he had any official PDs but he did undercut Nelson in the end zone preventing a TD pass.

15. 101GangGreen101

When I say eased in, I mean give him a week to play in a limited role. We played better Sunday when we had Walls and Allen hold their own. Milliner wasn't ready.

16. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Absolutely!! How he looked at our schedule and our secondary and expected to win this season is completely beyond me

17. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Rom wasnt built in a day and neither was the Seahawks, Giants, Patriots, or Steelers (teams who won superbowls in the past 15 years that were team focused rather than QB focused). The Jets were literally god awful when Idzik got here. If they win 9-11 games this season and take a step forward and then can build with one more draft and free agency that was most likely Idziks plan all along. You see how the quick fix has helped the Giants this season, the Dolphins last season and the dream team Eagles.

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This might surprise you, but I have always had the mindset that with a good offensive minded HC the jets actually go to one of the SB that they missed out on.

Don't make it sound like it was a cake walk for Rex when he had a talented team and had the championship run with the jets.

The jets struggled mightily during the regular season, even in games that they should have not struggled they kept the opposition in games.

In regards to the down turn, we all know the history.

But that just bolsters the argument that this year is a pivotal season for the Rex, because he has a better team than last year, and if he gets credit for getting the most out of his players and doing a good job with lesser talent then he better start showing that he is a good head coach and all he needed was more talent to do so.

Because he does have a better team than last year, offense, defense and ST.

Personally I guarantee you will see an inconsistent team which has been the trade mark from Rex till this point.

This issue is not about who has the QB, it's about coaching and he does not have a feel for the game, just because MM is running more, percentage wise, running draws from the shotgun formation is not an effective way to establish the run.

19. legler82

Rome wasn't built in a day but in the NFL you can go from worst to 1st with one good offseason and certainly in 2. While I can appreciate the overall premise of patience, let's calm down on this whole Idzik meticulously building a championship team a la the Seahawks narrative that's been floating around.

Don't think we were God aweful either as we won 6 games. We were far worst when Tanny took over to be quite honest. At that time, I thought we stood to replace every position in the starting 22 except for one DE spot.

Run_N_gun10 likes this.
  20. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

The 6 win team was god awful. Terrible talent. Had to rebuild the entire team. Look who is left. Pace, Wilkerson, Coples, Harris, Brick, Kerley, Mangold. Am I missing anyone of significance. Thats some shit.

Just pointing out that Idzik shouldnt have blown the salary cap in 1 offseason.