the John Idzik Thread. (All GM Discussion in Here)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Run_N_gun10, Sep 14, 2014.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

The problem with the article is it doesn't talk about the mess left off by Mr. T. Because people forget the cap hell, and the lack of depth due to silly trade ups that left us with a few 3 or 4 player drafts that was left by Tannebaum that arguably still haunts us to this day. In another thread, I mentioned that Mr. T was involved of TWENTY draft pick trades involving a veteran or in a trade up vs TEN of Mr.T's trading veterans for draft picks. That's a 2 to 1 ratio where we forfeited draft picks. Of course some were worth it but the point being is Mr. T put a ridiculous amount of eggs in the basket for the 2010 and 2011 seasons to try and win it all and it led to one AFC Champ. Title appearance and a letdown 8-8 season. The 2012 and 2013 seasons suffered from this and 2014 Idzik and co. were trying to replenish the depth of this team with some young, cost controlled talent.

Shame because Idzik does deserve flack for some of his signings(Patterson, Goodson) and some of the drafts he AND HIS TEAM(Including Rex, Thurman, Marty along with the scouting team) was in charge of. People like to forget that GMs get too much credit and get too much flack for their draft picks because it is a team effort when you draft a player. Some people's responsibility in the organization is to scout around the country, some people's responsibility is to character evaluate and Idzik and his selected few in the war room select the player that gives them best value when taking everything into account.

People who credit Idzik for his draft picks(Myself included, I fall into the trap sometimes) just as people who give Idzik flack for his draft picks forget it isn't just one guy who does all the homework in the draft and picks off that. The GM chooses players based off of countless, hours if not days if not months of reports that include character assessment, vertical, intelligence, speed, their ability to grasp concepts on the field, leadership intangibles etc.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The argument was that this team isn't competing and that's far from true. While we're 1-6 if we finish 7-9 does that mean we didn't compete all season just due to a bad start against a string of the leagues best quarterbacks?

The Jets were a possession away from winning 5 out of 6 of their losses. To think this is a normal 1-6 team is dismay like the Jaguars or the Raiders is rather ignorant as if the games weren't watched. You can argue that a lot of these games could've been managed much better than the coaching staff and I'm pretty torn on whether or not I want the coaching staff to stay intact. I'm just firm in the stance that Idzik kept Rex & Morningweg around because he likes the staff and wants continuity among the staff and the players rather than a complete turnover that could blow up in his face.

Rex's in game management has been pretty poor and the offensive play calling has been a mess at times so I understand fans want to see them all fired. I just don't know if a complete staffing overhaul really pushes this franchise forward especially when you're talking about probably bringing in another rookie head coach/former coordinator. I think the only coaching changes that makes sense is if you bring in a veteran staff. Unless you're talking Cowher, Gruden, Kevin Sumlin, David Shaw (albeit college head coaches) or perhaps Jack Del Rio, bringing in yet another rookie head coach would probably be a mistake. Andy Reid's not sitting out there waiting for an offer so I don't really see that many potential options that would push this team forward.

I understand that we will have missed the playoffs the past four years, but the first two was essentially the destruction of AFC championship teams that were built with a veteran defense along with a mess on offense in which the general manager shipped out Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller, Thomas Jones, LT, Brad Smith, Brandon Moore, Matt Slauson & Damion Woody within a couple years of each other. That's basically an entire NFL offense. It's tough to compare 2011 and 2012 to 2013 and 2014 since the roster turnover is absolutely huge.

3. Jeremy2020

Jeremy2020 Active Member

Marty needs to cut Geno, Rex needs to fire Marty, Idzik needs to fire Rex, Woody needs to fire Idzik, God needs to smite Woody

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

google alerts :D

It was actually coincidental, I happened to be reading that thread as you posted that. I was on your side until your comment.

JetBlue likes this.
  5. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

No if they fired Rex at the end of 2012 and brought in a new coach. And the new coach goes 8-8 his first year. No one would even think his job is not safe. But since Rex has been here for a few years and theyve been missing the playoffs they assume he's fightingbfor his job.

6. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

Rex is certainly fighting for his job, and his players have not given up on him. In the end Rex will most likely get fired and someone will hire him and he will be successful and we will regret firing him. Its not his fault that it didn't work out and I wish he could stay through this rebuilding process but thats not in the cards.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Bringing in Harvin I think shows that Rex is being given every opportunity to succeed and firing him isn't a no brainier at this point. It's an admittance he was given a deficient team.

IBLEEDGREEN17 likes this.
  8. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

So, will Harvin get the direct snap in the wildcat now?

9. BleedGreen4ever

Bringing in Harvin, i think was a deal that came up out of nowhere and was a low risk high reward can't miss move. It is not giving Rex every opportunity succeed because the season has already been a failure and its too little too late. I think the fact that Idzik didn't help Rex enough in the offseason is more telling that he really didn't give him any chance to succeed at all and made it a huge uphill battle.
    I hope its not a no brainier at this point as I strongly believe in Rex, and think he is a very good coach for multiple reasons, and doubt any unproven candidate that may come up will be as good. I hope Woody and Idzik see what they have in Rex and let him be a part of this rebuilding process. Much like what the Bengals did with Marvin Lewis. I think we already have our coach and it would be foolish to let him go and we will only regret it in the future.

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

or he will be running 9 routes down the sideline. Which one is more plausible?

11. JetBlue

It is absolutely giving him every chance to succeed from this point forward and I think Rex will be evaluated for how we play in the last 9 games first and foremost.

Secondly, as I mentioned, I disagree with the idea that Idzik left Rex out to dry this season. I think he felt Rex was good enough to make up for the deficiencies in the roster and now Idzik realizes the holes he left were simply too great.

FJF likes this.
  12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

The Jets are living in the cavemen era,teams dont go through 5 year rebuilds anymore its a win now league.No one gives a shit about Idziks lame plan

13. BleedGreen4ever

Every opportunity to prove himself would include trading for two starting cornerbacks. I think you are going against logic to say leaving $20 million in cap space is giving him every chance to succeed and not leaving him out to dry. If he felt Rex was good enough to overcome that then he should have locked him up to a ten year deal prior to doing what he did in the offseason because only a miracle worker would be expected to have success with what Idzik provided talent wise.

14. JetBlue

This may be semantics but you are talking giving a coach the perfect opportunity -- no potential weaknesses on the roster. That isn't realistic or worth discussing.

Giving him every opportunity to succeed is minimizing the amount of weaknesses, and Idzik gave Rex a horrid pass defense and deficient receivers in a passing league. Trying to fix one if those is certainly giving him every chance to succeed.

15. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Do you guys feel now after the recent roster reshuffling that our receiving core is average, above Average or below average?

I'm trying to figure out now whether we have enough talent around Geno to really evaluate him year end if Decker and Harvin are healthy. I think we do but am curious to hear others' thoughts on how we stack up against league.

16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

In what world aren't you judged by your results? Why wouldn't Rex be fighting for his job if they haven't made the playoffs for 4 years? That's more than enough of a body of work to judge someone's long-term perfomance in any discipline. Any NFL HC would be held to a similar, if not more stringent standard, so why not Rex? How many head coaches of winning franchises in the NFL have survived 4 straight years of no playoffs? I'd venture to say probably a handful, if that. Maybe some crappy franchise has kept a HC forever without any marked improvement in their teams' record and playoff appearances but that's not what the Jets should be striving to be. To act like it should come to anyone's surprise that Rex is firmly on the hot seat is not dealing in reality.

17. JetBlue

There's a huge difference in believing Rex should be fighting for his job based on his results and whether he actually is.

Assuming he is, even if it is reasonable that he would or should be, doesn't mean he actually is. You are confused if you think they are one in the same.

18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Most objective people believe Rex should be fighting for his job based on his results, so you're in the minority if you think he shouldn't be. Now whether he actually is fighting for his job is a completely different discussion and only Woody knows the answer to that one. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Woody goes against the grain and keeps Rex even if he finishes with a 5-11, 6-10 record, which would keep this franchise in neutral. What he should do and what he will do are two very different agendas.

19. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

The teams circumstance determines that he isn't fighting for his job. The team is rebuilding. If they had legitimate playoff/championship aspirations and they failed then j could see him being on the hot seat.

20. BleedGreen4ever

No I'm not talking about a perfect roster with no weaknesses at all.... I'm talking about using more of the resources available to help the team, Idizik didn't even try, leaving us with one of the, if not the lowest total team salaries in the league. You said "every opportunity to succeed" and that's just false, Idzik is leaving a ton of money on the table and his lack of moves thus far has cost us huge, maybe even Rex's job. Ok he traded for a playmaker, its a good move and will help the team but Idzik still hasn't even tried to give Rex "every opportunity to succeed.