the John Idzik Thread. (All GM Discussion in Here)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Run_N_gun10, Sep 14, 2014.

1. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Agree. But I didnt want to turn this into another QB debate.

2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

They need to draft and find a no.1 WR in the draft, even if its for the 1st round pick like a Cooper and hope they become Julio Jones or AJ Green-like. Not many teams are going to let their star WR go to FA unless they are a problem in the locker room. Not with the way this league is setup where offense is rewarded.

Resigning Kerley and drafting say Cooper would be huge. A Decker/Cooper/Kerley WR group to start 2015 as you ease Cooper into the league is pretty good.

3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Either way 85 is including the carryover 110 does not so best case we have 50/55 mil we won't have 75 lol but yes plenty to go around

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

89% over a 4 year span.

The cap is currently 133 million which changes every year, so essentially 4 years is 532 million, but ill up it to 550 because it will go up every year. So the Jets have to spend 89% of that 550 million which is 490 million. This year the Jets spent 110 million which would leave about 380 million to spend over the next three years which averages out to 127 million minimum next year and beyond. Thats if Idzik is trying to spend the minimum to, if he spent the maximum he would be able to spend about 440 million over the next three years, which is about 146 million each season for the next couple years which is A LOT of money under the cap we have currently. Of course all these numbers are going to change every year, in a positive way, but for Idzik's next couple years he has to spend money, alot more than he did last offseason. Currently though the Jets are fine with the amount they spend this year because the 4 span is between 2011-2014, next year it will be between 2012-2015.....

(I believe in 2012 and 2013 we were at the cap limit)

5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I dont understand the need for a "number 1" receiver. I would much rather have multiple receivers that can get open than one superstar receiver. Decker and Kerley both consistently get open. Amaro seems to get open a bit as well. Even Salas can find holes in the defense occassionaly. They could use a couple more guys that can get open in the endzone. We dont seem to utilize Amaro in the endzone. Judging by that pass that was ruled a first down but actually wasnt, he knows how to use his body to box out. Hopefully we intergrate him more.

6. Jetsfansince95

If we had a true number one we wouldn't be 2 for a million in the red zone

7. 74

74 Well-Known Member

yea I think it would, of course. That's not really what we're talking about here tho... here's my more detailed pov on each of these guys...

I'm just thinking if I'm Dez Bryant, I want to feed my ego and have the the best stats of any WR in the league. The NYJ is on my list of teams that I definitely don't want to go to. I don't see Cowboys letting him go anyway.

Jordy Nelson I'd be more than very surprised if he is not resigned also so let's not waste our breath here.

Randall Cobb most likely hits FA and he's just going to the highest bidder. I could see him relishing a chance to prove that he's legit and could produce with anyone, not that Rodgers made him. On GB, he puts up great numbers. On the NYJ, I'm not so sure. I was against James Jones too but he's producing still so maybe I'm wrong. Still, Cobb's market value will be much overrated imo. He's basically the same player as Kerley, but faster. That's a big "but" though because we desperately need some speed. so this could be a fit, specially if we finally draft a big WR (that can catch), but if we did sign Cobb then I don't see us keeping Kerley. Anyway, I was against Cobb but now I'm on the fence. In the end I think Idzik would rather resign Kerley for 1/10th of the price and honestly that's probably the wiser move.

If I'm Torrey Smith, I want to finally prove how good a WR I am, I want to go to a team that will utilize my skills properly, not just send me deep every play to clear things out and never actually target me. We would probably use him the same way as the Ravens do. If I'm him I want to go to a team that will take advantage of my route running and make getting the ball in my hands in space part of the game plan. I don't think we're offensively savvy enough to do that but I also don't think he's that egotistical. I really like Torrey as a player and he seems like a great team mate, he's would bring us some speed, and is also another good sized redzone target. But the Ravens are just as needy at WR as we are, do they let him walk?

Crabtree is basically the same receiver as Decker. Their 40 times are both 4.54, Decker I think has better agility. This is a guy who holds the record for longest rookie holdout and he's finally having his best statistical seasons. He prob wants to be somewhere where he's the man, not where he's sharing the same role with Decker.

D Thomas I would pursue and there's a chance he hits FA. He's not a diva like Dez and he's exactly what we wanted when we drafted Hill. I don't know what's up with him, he has 3 drops in 3 weeks. Pressure of contract year? He has a drops history so it's concerning. If he does have a down year that may make Denver willing to let him hit FA because if we overpay I don't think they'd match. But now your D Thomas, answer this, keep playing on a SB caliber team with the greatest QB of all time until he retires, or enter the WR black hole that is the Rex Ryan NYJ?

Cecil Shorts first of all is just too injury riddled so I'll pass.

The only other FA that are worthy of being talked about are Maclin and Andre Holmes. If McGloin takes over at QB for the raiders I predict a Holmes emergence. He's a good player just buried on a shitty team. Maclin is legit obviously. He's been making some great catches this year, he looks a lot better than I expected.

Realistically, throw any thoughts of Dez, Jordy, Demaryius, out the window. We are looking at Maclin, maybe Crabtree. If I had to guess the guy they go after it's Maclin.

We really gotta look at the 2015 draft when we talk about this. It's arguably better than 2014 class. There's several good prospects that are fast and 6'2ish 210ish. We absolutely should take one of these guys in the first or second. after passing on a high pick WR last year Idzik might get run out of town if he doesn't. If we do then we are looking at a pass catching corp of Decker, blue chip rookie, Kerley, FA, Amaro. Next year should be our best WR corp since Chrebet/Keyshawn. That's assuming we don't fuck up again like we always do.

#567 74, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    tomdeb likes this.
  8. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Adam Caplan @caplannfl
    Cardinals signed former #Jets WR Jalen Saunders to their practice squad.
    6m

I wonder if it's revenge for Walt Powell, ha. But seriously, another one bites the dust.

9. Jetsfansince95

He passed waivers weird oh well what a draft

10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

LOL! I love your logic. You say that if you have Peyton Manning, then draft offense; You say that if you have Sanchez/Geno (quite weaker) at QB, then you say the team should draft defense?????????????????? How is the weak offense EVER going to get any better then? You are a true Rex Ryan disciple and now you now why the jets have stunk under him the last 3 plus years. Thanks for the laugh.

11. milo

milo Well-Known Member

At least he signed the Terminator back...all is forgiven John.

12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

well written and complete!

13. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

No problem. Now I will throw in a reading lesson for free :) : "If you have Rex coaching and Sanchez/Geno at QB, it makes more sense to draft defense early unless you see something you really like on offense." The bolded part is the rest of the sentence you apparently forgot to read. Obviously on any team you will have to build both offense and defense (and special teams). But that doesn't mean you build them 100% equally. Defensive coaches will have a bias toward defense, offensive coaches will have a bias toward offense, and there is a lot of sense in building to your strengths BEFORE rounding out your roster. Say you have a choice between drafting elite corners for our defense or an elite receivers for Geno/Sanchez. With an elite corner, our defense could be an elite unit, capable of shutting down anyone, whereas with elite receivers, we still have Geno/Sanchez and a defensive head coach, so the offense will be average at best.

14. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I forgot to say that Crabtree ruptured his achilles last year so keep that in mind too. He's playing pretty well this yr tho.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Well written and gayer by the minute.

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Given Rex's ineptitude with the offense I'd say its a good thing he didn't have a say in our quarterback decision.

18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Respect your opinion, but I think the jets have leaned too heavy on defense in the drafts under Rex. I think Rex has had a LOT to say about who gets drafted, and it now shows with their pathetic offense. Look at their WR corps! Outside of Decker, they have Kerley a 3-4 WR at best, and then three rejects from other team, Nelson, Salas and Graham. This year is history, but I hope next season the jets change directions with a new coach and get some SKILL PLAYERS on offense. I cannot believe Iszik and Rex thought the jets could be competitive with this corps of WRs, even if they thought Hill would rebound.

19. 74

74 Well-Known Member

come over and we can have wrestling practice

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Greco Roman or you just want to touch my anus.