the John Idzik Thread. (All GM Discussion in Here)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Run_N_gun10, Sep 14, 2014.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

For me, i just cant kill idzik for not addressing the secondary. we were an awful team last year. we are at best an average team with a shaky 2nd year QB this year. winning the division is always a long shot with brady still in NE.

point being... this is a 2-3 year process. Find the right guy at the right price or just shelve it and live with the issue until next season. we have way to many problem to fix in one offseason, and throwing riddiculous money at guys who dont deserve it only pushes that 2-3 year windows even further along.

we got a couple offensive pieces this year. next year add to the lines and look into secondary options. in a couple years we will be back to be a strong candidate to being in the playoffs, and brady closer to retirement

ajax and Jets Esq. like this.
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

So what did we address this off season?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I guess it depends on your perspective. I don't think he's brought in talent via FA (he has brought in problems though - Goodson / Patterson) while he has brought in talent via the draft (Milliner --I know everyone is down on him but when he's healthy he will play at a top level -- Richardson, Geno, Bohanon, Pryor, Amaro

4. legler82

-Milliner in totality has been either bad or injured.
    -Geno is a bottom 3rd QB.
    -Bohanon is a FB that struggles at blocking.
    -Pryor is yet another safety that is more comfortable in the box than over the top making the total 4 (Landry, Allen and Jarrett).
    -Amaro can not play inline.
    -Winters is the caused for an injured QB waiting to happen.

The truth of the matter is that there's only one draftee playing at "a top level"; that's Richardson. That's 1 out of 19 picks.

NYJetsO12 and Big Blocker like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I won't declare all these points invalid but to think none of these players will be quality starters is obscene.

Every team wishes their first and second year guys could all make an impact.

6. legler82

Well you should address the bold to whoever thinks that none will be quality starters.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I guess we should cut each and every one of them now. They have no chance of improvement.

Every one of those players showed the ability to play at this level, it's about being consistent and executing week in and week out

8. legler82

When you go to the extreme like that, it just means you have no point. RIF (Reading Is Fundamental).

9. 101GangGreen101

Yes, it was extreme because you act as though these guys can't help the Jets win games. Geno is 9W-9L so far in his career, he has to do better but there has been improvement. That's what you have to ask for in regards to young players especially ones at the QB and CB position. 2 of the hardest positions to master.

It's too early for any of that talk you are spewing.

Milliner is your Mommy and Br4d like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

Talk meaning his drafts haven't had any impact btw.

11. legler82

RIF

12. 101GangGreen101

I think you need to check what you post around here then. Idzik's FA acquisitions have been spotty, the talent has come through the draft.

Like I said, too early to talk what you're spewing.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Jets are 9-9 with Geno at QB despite having a bottom third talent base at the point he was drafted. The hysteria around the Jets roster right now wouldn't be an issue anywhere but in the NY/NJ metro area media bubble. They're ahead of the game in the rebuild. They have a real shot at the playoffs this year although another 8-8 is possible also.

The Seahawks went 7-9, 7-9, 11-5, 13-3 under Pete Carroll. If the Jets go 8-8, 8-8... Well we're ahead of the game.

14. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Decker and Giacomini look like good pickups. A couple failed like Goodson and Patterson but those were cheap picks up. Goodson looked like a great pickup until his run in with the law which apparently Idzik should have predicted. Its also week 3. Are we really that impatient now.

15. legler82

You pretty much have to spend money to bring in talent via FA. He hasn't been willing to do so as an overall strategy. While he may have missed and/or passed on some players in FA, I don't think he's overpaid any FAs, which is probably the most glaring thing you can do wrong in FA as most of the talent evaluation has been done for you. You get what you pay for.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

I'm not a huge Colon fan - love his veteran leadership, but his penalties kill us. Decker, Giacomini, and Ivory are his best pickups though - hopefully Decker gets healthy. I agree it's week 3, though I wouldn't have minded another receiver here to help out.

This team is better than last year by the simple fact that certain players got better over the off-season and that's what you need to ask for - you have to hope a few take another jump at some-point in the season.

Could be DeMario, could be Geno, could be Coples in my opinion. Be nice if it were all 3 - then you got a playoff team I think.

17. legler82

The Anecdotal King at it again:)

BeastBeach likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

You forget one important element and that's timing. I don't think you could look at the players last free agency and say wow - this would change everything under a certain dollar figure. Teams like the Bucs throw cash every off-season and they are in the running for the top pick.

Mike Wallace was signed by the Dolphins and now the Dolphins are 1-2. You get what you pay for, but the timing, player and opportunity mean just as much.

Geno gets better this season - what's to say Idzik won't throw another big contract at a WR next off-season? That's timing in my opinion. I like what Idzik does because he doesn't throw money at players because they are available.

Look at the FAs available at WR next off-season and you might see why Idzik didn't throw a bunch this past off-season.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Just telling it like it is. This was a 4-12 talent base in 2012 that somehow managed to scrape up a couple more wins. THEN it lost a bunch of older vets and had to incorporate several raw rookies into the game plan. If we go 8-8 this year with a couple more good young players developing (looks like Coples and Davis at this point) we're ahead of the game. If we get lucky and win 9+, well that's all gravy.

20. legler82

He hasn't spent money in 2 off seasons. I don't have a problem with it. That said, when you do that you are putting a lot of stock on your ability to find the diamonds in the rough. So far there haven't been any. This is also true with regards to what he's been doing in the draft, especially this past draft. If you decide to keep 12 picks, you better hit on a couple outside of the first 2 rounds. Else, you are just creating a young, deep and bad roster as opposed to a young, deep and talented one.

NYJetsO12 likes this.