the John Idzik Thread. (All GM Discussion in Here)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Run_N_gun10, Sep 14, 2014.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

My West Indian dad, may he rest in peace, used to lecture me as a kid that 99% of people who wore high top fades sold drugs. I never verified that stat but I'm pretty he was making it up so I wouldn't cut my hair in the same fashion. Why am I getting that same feeling now…hmmm?

BTW What's wrong with a couple years of effective play?

CaneGreen and Big Blocker like this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bryon Maxwell? He's going to cost more than Thurmond and Brandon Browner. Maxwell is pretty good but I doubt we will shell out big bucks for a #2 CB.

Prob will sign young guys with upside that are cheap. Maybe a Chris Harris from DEN

3. legler82

The sad answer to this question is yes, which is scary considering Patterson is not even on a NFL roster right now. He recently worked out for Detroit who, like us, is in desperate need for serviceable CBs, yet they passed.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What part of the West Indies was he from? Out of pure curiosity. My family has tons of ties to Grenada. We're as Italian as prosciutto but my dad went to med school there and has been teaching there on and off for the better part of 20 years.

5. legler82

To steal your simile he was/is Haitian as Voodoo…LOL

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

As staunch a supporter of the general practices Idzik has followed as I have been, I can't say I'd be upset if he had signed Corey Graham. I think the Bills' secondary is all around better than ours, and might just be one of the few teams in the league with a better font 4 as well. We'll see if Graham is what everyone is claiming he is by the end of the season.

7. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Spicy nutmeg.

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  8. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

CB's...CB's....CB's....it's not so much about drafting the top CB or signing the top CB, it's about getting some Pass-Rushers that can apply pressure to the QB's, that will in-turn help create turnovers. Sacks & incompletions. Maxwell....he will be exposed ...just like any other CB, if there is no pressure. Field is just to big to cover even the slowest WR...w/o pressure. Watch the game. I swear...I should be charging u guys for the info ???

socaljetfan likes this.
  9. EL Kabong

EL Kabong Member

The Problem is the jets have the same problem we had in February not one real CB worth a dam and no depth at receiver. Idzik is sitting on 15 mill worth of cap room. WHY? I aggree with the OP Idzik is the problem no question.

Truth4U2 and Run_N_gun10 like this.
  10. legler82

It works both ways the back end can help the front end by covering a a second or so longer so the pass rush can get to the QB.

Run_N_gun10 likes this.
  11. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

12. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

His biggest mistake was not signing one of the many good FA corners on the market this offseason. With our front 7 so good, it is beyond bizarre that he would weaken the secondary like that, seemingly on purpose! Sabotage?!?!?!?! o_O

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Could you imagine how goodd this team would be if we still had two top corners on both sides or even one.I don't know what the plan is for next year ,this was the year of the free agent corner ,the only guy available even worth talking about next year is Revis,Unless Idzik plans on drafting a corner in the first round again and we see what we have in Mcdougle and pray Millner can figure out how to stay healthy

Truth4U2 likes this.
  14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

How did I not realize Idzik was trying to GM his way right out of his own job? It seems so obvious now.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  15. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

not to mention Revis is gonna take Decker out of both games we play against the Patriots and hold him to zero catches .Revis may go in the hall of fame as a Patriot,could you imagine that?

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We don't know this.

Revis played one side of the field with Miami and they didn't test him much. He played a mix of one side zone and man on Jennings but the Vikings were limited.

We're playing them after Browner comes back. It may be safe to say that Revis will be stuck on one side again. Belicunt likes to try to make statements against the Jets, and he has failed trying to a number of times.

There's nothing concrete saying that Revis will be on Decker for an entire game.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The NFL is the NFL. Almost everybody is done by 31. Maybe 25% of the players have any real play left in them after that.

To give you some examples that prevent us from having to do an exhaustive study of the matter:

1. The Raiders have the oldest roster in the NFL this year. Their average player is 27 years old. 6 of their 22 starters are 31 or older. Just 2 are older than 31 and both of them are 32.

2. The Giants have the second oldest roster at 26.75 years old. They have 4 starters that are 31 or older with 2 of them being 33.

Ok, so you're not buying any of this malarkey, just because the Raiders and Giants have only a few starters at 31 or over doesn't mean anything.

3. The Broncos signed a ton of free agents to make a push this year. Their average age isn't that high but all those free agents must mean a lot of 31+ starters, right? 4 starters 31 or over and they had to sign DeMarcus Ware to get there.

4. The Browns bought every rocking chair free agent on the market, surely they must be swimming in these 31+ NFL survivors, right? 1 starter 31 or over and he's 32.

Not-For-Long. That's the game we're talking here and your West Indian dad, who was undoubtedly a very wise man, would likely have bowed to the reality that a 29 year old CB has about 2 years of service left in the NFL unless he is a star and also gets very lucky.

What's wrong with a couple years of play is the year long hangover on the cap afterwards and the very real chance that it is just one more year of effective play followed by a year of cursing at the TV screen as we realize the Jets waited a year too long to replace the guy.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Decker isn't the kind of receiver Revis particularly likes either. He's a big surefooted route runner who makes crisp cuts and hand fights with the guy covering him. That's not the kind of guy Revis wants to match up against because the refs will tune in to the matchup and likely call everything they see, including Revis legendary pulls at the jersey and attempts to use a deftly placed hand to misdirect his guy off the route he wants to run.

19. legler82

Like a previous poster I tend to agree with the general philosophy, though maybe not your arbitrary percentages. However, I wouldn't want my GM to be such a stickler to such an unwritten "rule" to the point he would be willing to bypass bolstering an apparent weak spot on the team. We're a very young team, signing one 29 year old shouldn't age us too much.

I generally do not get into the weeds with regards to the numbers. For one, it's not my money; what do I care? Secondly, I'm not getting paid for it so I don't see the value in being a pseudo-capologist. That said; we're not talking about Revis money here. Doubt very much that 5 million guaranteed would be sending us back to cap hell.

Lastly, you are right about my dad being a very wise man. Never did get that high top fade and, not coincidentally, never sold drugs either…hmmm

Big Blocker likes this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Revis loves receivers like Decker. Big, deliberate possession receivers with marginal quickness and inexperienced quarterbacks.

I'm praying that Belitwunt puts Revis solely on one side.

BeastBeach and legler82 like this.