The Jets is not a good place for Cowher and here is why...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Carpetbagger, Dec 22, 2008.

1. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

i think mangini will get another season but sutton will be gone

2. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Obviously Cowher would be the major #1...No doubt.

Billick? Why? That defense saved him from getting fired years earlier than he did. This "offensive guru" was trash! He thought Grbac, Kyle Boller, and Steve McNair were going to do something? He has no creativity and to me is average at best...Upgrade from Mangini? Sure, but that ISN'T saying much.

And if the Baltimore media was growing testy on him...Imagine here.

3. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Definitely see where you're coming from, but he still won, mostly. And yes, I do realize the defense he had there. But, I can honestly say I could care less how he is with the media if they win. Jerry Manuel might be the media darling in NYC right now, but it got the Mets nowhere in the long run last season.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This doesn't help. Here are the Jets players who have no natural home in a 4-3 in the NFL right now:

1. Shaun Ellis has slowed down enough that he's no longer a good 4-3 DE. he was always a bit out of position there but he held the strongside ok with a dynamic passrusher opposite him on the weakside in JAbe. Ellis's play was deteriorating before Herm left town.

2. Bryan Thomas. I don't have to explain this one, we've all seen how badly he fits as a tweener in a 4-3.

3. Kenyon Coleman. No position in a 4-3, although the Jets could try moving him to DT. He's just too slow to play outside in a 4-3.

The Jets 4-3 next year would look like this:

LDE - Ellis (asking for trouble to put him on the end of a 4-3 again)
    LDT - Jenkins
    RDT - hole atm (maybe Coleman, Pouha or Devito, all of whom are huge maybes)
    RDE - Gholston (huge if)
    LLB - Pace
    MLB - Harris
    RLB - hole atm (no speed rusher to come from the weakside and Barton has had trouble on this side, Thomas would the other bad answer)

The 3-4, competently coached would be:

LDE - Ellis (much more suited for this than 4-3 end at this point_
    NT - Jenkins (needs some help to get off the field for breathers but still obviously good to great for this)
    RDE - hole atm (Coleman is a hole here)
    LLB - Pace
    LILB - Barton (still can manage this)
    RILB - Harris
    ROLB - Gholston (huge if)

Basically the Jets would have to fill 3.5 slots in the front 7 of a 4-3 depending on whether or not Gholston came through. They only have to fill 1.5 in a 3-4, again depending on whether or not Gholston comes through.

5. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Hell, I just want a coach (head or DC) that calls a damn blitz every now and then. Actually every other play. lol. It just drives me crazy we have a talent like Kerry Rhodes at safety and this guy has him 25 yards off the line of scrimmage every play. He could be Ed Reed, better actually, if he was coached correctly.

6. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Ellis' play has plummeted because he hasn't had John Abraham *when his tummy didn't bother him* rushing from the other end. Plain and simple. You need to bring in a guy who uses Gholston to play to his advantages. As much as I despise the guy, you're going to tell me Belichick wouldn't have gotten at least five sacks from Gholston at this point. He would find a way.