The Jets 2020 Cap

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 29, 2020.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I was just pointing out we have a lot of projected starters on 1 year deals or their final year.
    Williamson
    Winters
    Perriman
    Poole
    Desire
    Jenkins
    Mclendon
    Maye

That's 33% of our projected starters not even including a kicker (both we have are on 1 year deals right now)
    williamson doens't bother me and could be cut but his replacement onwasu is also on a 1 year deal so is backup hewitt. as of now for 20201 our only ILBs are mosely and cashman
    Winters again doesn't bother me and could be cut as well since we have lewis and van roten
    Perriman is a 1 year try out. if he balls out we'll have to pay him, if he doesn't we still have a big hole at WR. Q is done as far as i can tell. smith is also on his final year. that leaves us mims, berios and crowder only.
    Poole and desir are 2/3rds of our starting CBs this year. but we did load up on CBs. We drafted Hall and signed jackson. we still have bless. Maybe we keep hairston cheap for depth. it would be nice if hall and bless and jacskon all steup up but not realistic. we'll likely have a hole there in 2021 as well
    OLB is an issue, jenkins is sold but again 1 year deal. opposite him is very weak with luvu, bashman, willis, etc nothing big out of those guys
    Maye is a top 10 safety in the league but may not be affordable with adams contract coming up and we drafted davis possible to replace him.
    Mclendon likely retired and we are deep at D-line

So in short really CB/WR/and OLB will be the biggest concerns next offseason IMO

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’m sorry I’m not following what you’re saying here really at all.

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

You forgot Fant - I believe he’s on a one year deal also. At this point Poole, and Jenkins are the favorites to be given longer deals assuming their level of play doesn’t subside. JD is hoping Fant works out as well. There’s an outside chance for Perriman but I’d rank him at 50/50 as of now. Most of the others on your list will not be on the roster next season.......

4. GasedAndConfused

Fant is 3 year 30 mil but it's structured in a way we could cut him after this season. But he is on the roster for 2021
    i'm not high in perriman either. Hopefully by 2021 Q is off the books, we'll still have crowder and mims. and maybe berrios or smith can step up and we'll draft another WR in 2021 too

5. GasedAndConfused

Right now the total cap is for 90 players which is what we have. we'll have to release 37 of them before the full cap kicks in and not just the top 51. they make an average of 700k each so 37 cuts times 700k = about 26mil that will be shaved off the total cap for 2020 by the time the season starts and the final roster is picked.

6. MaximusD163

No it’s not, it doesn’t work that way. The total cap is for the top 51 contracts, I promise you.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

He is right only the top 51 contracts count. Also they ipped the roster limit. It is now 55. There is no extra 26 million . His number are right. We don't have cap space to go sign a huge deal. But I could see a trade. Plus a few cuts. Things can happen. Right now though we are limited.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

um no dude right now only the top 51 count. once the season starts every player counts including PS players. I forgot about the roster up so that extra 26 mil is really like an extra 24.5 mil for the 35 players we release look how i broke it out before assuming somehting

#68 GasedAndConfused, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. GasedAndConfused

no it's not dude it's every player on the roster including the PS. i promise you
    http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx

Section 1.4

It's a common misconception so i get why you would think that though. it's not a big deal so lets not make it one and lets just focus on spreading the right info going forward. cool?

10. J-Raw24

You are missing that there is no savings. Only 51 players are counted at the moment. And we are just short of the cap... when the season starts that goes up to 55. Which means we will have less space... not more... those extra players actually take more space... the ones we cut are not being counted right now. We don't save 26 million because it is not being counted. Only 51 players are being counted... there is NO savings. When the season starts we will be close to the cap because 55 players, 12 practice squad players and anyone on IR.

11. J-Raw24

12. GasedAndConfused

dude again look at the way I did the math. 1+3 = 4, 3+1 also = 4
    I started with the total amount of all 90 players we have plus dead cap plus rookie deals. then took off the fact we will have to cut down to 55. you are also forgetting we get releaf from TRU's dead cap in like 2 weeks as well. in short, we have money. more then you think. doens't mean we will use it or sign anyone but we have it. we can roll it over or use it to extend adams or whatever. doens't matter, I don't care what we do with it. the point was this thread is about discussing our cap situation.
    I don't care about the top 51. it's irrelevant in the long run. it only exists so teams can have more players in the offseason to decide which ones to keep and to have practice bodies and try outs. it doesn't mean anything when the season starts

So to break it down once again and try to be more accurate i used excel
    Currently we have 81 players under contract for a total of 203.8 mil, this includes tru for 15 mil which goes down to 4 mil (IIRC but correct me if i'm wrong) with 8 mil carried over to next year (and 3 mil saved by cutting).
    So take away tru and we have 80 players for 192.8 mil
    The other 10 players are the rookies which will count for around 10 mil
    that means our 90 man roster is at 202.8 mil as it stands
    We need to release 35 of those players. If i average out their salary to 700k each (the lowest paid players make 610k-750k) thats 35 times 700k = 24.5 million of "saved money"
    202.8 minus 24.5 = 178.3
    that's our current projected cap for 2020 when the season starts
    now lets add the rest of the "dead money"
    1 mil from somewhere (not sure where)
    10 mil from PUP (Q and bellamy)
    now we are up to 189.3 that is our total cap including everything but PS players but they don't cost much anyway.

The NFL salary cap is 198.2 mil
    we carried over 8.8 mil
    our adjusted cap is 207 mil

so 207 mil less 189.3 mil = 17.7 mil
    Thats our realistic amount of money we can still spend this season
    We could add more if we were to cut williamson and/or winters
    It's enough money to extend adams or sign 1 more big player
    or we can carry it over if we want.

So forgetting about the way you are doing your math, do you see anything wrong here?

#72 GasedAndConfused, May 20, 2020
    egelband likes this.
  13. MaximusD163

It’s for the top 51 contracts in the offseason. After final cuts it includes 55 man roster plus practice squad, dead money, and reserve lists. Your numbers are off because you are doing averages vs actually calculating the cap hits. Your numbers will always be off if you do it your way.

The Jets are at $16.97mm in space factoring in the top 51 as of June 1 and draft picks.

Your number of $17.7 for 55 players is wrong because if you did top 55 (which is pointless anyway) you would actually be looking at $13.97mm. You see the discrepancy?

Then if you want to calculate your total practice squad cap hit you drop down. $1.36mm more for 10 players. (The other two can be brought up to active roster to equal the 55 in game weeks).

The point is, 51 is the only thing that matters right now.

If you want the accurate information, just see the OP and updates.

egelband likes this.
  14. J-Raw24

Total Cap Liabilities: $223,208,233
    • Top 51: $185,524,285
    • Team Cap Space: $14,996,212
    • Offense: $107,628,107
    • Defense: $110,861,135
    • Special: $3,595,000
    https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/
    That's without the correct figures for our rookies and Turmaine. So if you consider that Trumaine and the Draft pick basically cancel each other, and that it's only counting 51 players instead of 55, plus 12 practice squad, plus IR, which we have 2 of currently. We have less than the 14,996,212 it says. 4 more players on the roster at 700k per is 2.8 million. 12 practice squad players at an average of 129k per season is 1.548 million. Plus another 700k per player replacing the 2 on IR is another 1.4 million. 2.8+1.548+1.4=5.748. 14,996,212 - 5,748,000 = 9,218,212 million. That is our cap space.

#74 J-Raw24, May 20, 2020
  15. GasedAndConfused

forget about the top 51. it has nothing to do with what we can spend the rest of the season. It's pointless to talk about. anyone familiar with the cap knows this. I'd expect better of you then to say the "51 only matter right now" hell Tru counts 15 million against that "right now" but in 10 days he will only count 4 million. What kind of GM only looks at "right now" and not 10 days in advance lol. even idzik wasn't that shortsighted. instead read this I posted

So to break it down once again and try to be more accurate i used excel
    Currently we have 81 players under contract for a total of 203.8 mil, this includes tru for 15 mil which goes down to 4 mil (IIRC but correct me if i'm wrong) with 8 mil carried over to next year (and 3 mil saved by cutting).
    So take away tru and we have 80 players for 192.8 mil
    The other 10 players are the rookies which will count for around 10 mil
    that means our 90 man roster is at 202.8 mil as it stands
    We need to release 35 of those players. If i average out their salary to 700k each (the lowest paid players make 610k-750k) thats 35 times 700k = 24.5 million of "saved money"
    202.8 minus 24.5 = 178.3
    that's our current projected cap for 2020 when the season starts
    now lets add the rest of the "dead money"
    1 mil from somewhere (not sure where)
    10 mil from PUP (Q and bellamy)
    now we are up to 189.3 that is our total cap including everything but PS players but they don't cost much anyway.

The NFL salary cap is 198.2 mil
    we carried over 8.8 mil
    our adjusted cap is 207 mil

so 207 mil less 189.3 mil = 17.7 mil
    Thats our realistic amount of money we can still spend this season
    We could add more if we were to cut williamson and/or winters
    It's enough money to extend adams or sign 1 more big player
    or we can carry it over if we want.

So forgetting about the way you are doing your math, do you see anything wrong here?

also you number is incorrect as well. we have to guesstimate because we have no idea which 55 will be kept. My 17.7 could be low if we cut williamson, winters, or more of the players making 750k. it could also be high if we only cut the lowest paid players. realistically speaking no number will be 100% accurate because we don't know who JD will cut. The point was to see how much spending power we have as far as free agents or extensions or rollover money. even if we want to add the PS the 17.7 drops down to 16.34 but again you are estimating. it could be higher. 2 years ago we paid like 750k to davis webb on the PS. he didn't get the minimum. don't make it a pissing contest. be more mature and less focus on the actual numbers here

16. GasedAndConfused

that number is so wrong dude. stop looking at OTC and trying to calculate based on their totals. even the guy you are agreeing with has 16ish million. realistically we have 16-18 million if we don't cut williamson or winters. if we cut one or both of them, that number gets much higher. instead look at my math I posted and if something is inaccurate feel free to correct it but OTC is way off.

17. MaximusD163

I’m focused on numbers... I have to think you’re the one making it a pissing contest. To answer your question, I do see an issue with your numbers, both the process and the result. The top 51 is the measurement for a reason.

From here on out, I digress. You do it your way, and I’ll do it mine.

I put this info here as a resource, if you choose not to use it that’s your prerogative.

18. J-Raw24

The math you posted means nothing. The 55 player on the roster are the part that matter. Their salary + 12 practice squad + whoever is on IR. That is what our cap is.

19. J-Raw24

Oh and all of them say about the same.. but here. Go add up all the top contracts... the top 55. Then add 129k for each practice squad and our 2 IR guy. We have less than 10 million in space.

20. GasedAndConfused

don't say you see an issue and not specify. i'm focused on the numbers only. if you see a legit issue i'm happy to correct and fix it so we can get the right numbers. but honestly if you can't point out a specific issue to be fixed, then your the one talking out of your ass and making it a pissing contest. I gave you numbers. either say they are right or tell me what's wrong. anything else you reply is simply nonsense