The Jets 2020 Cap

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Mar 29, 2020.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Between the 1 year deals and the contracts that can be easily ended after 1 year, the Jets probably have more flexibility for 2021 than others.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Why would the cap decrease in 2021 due to the virus? Would that be because the owners didn't get as much revenue this year?

When you say the cap space could quickly be increased, I'm assuming that you're referring to the fact that the Jets could trade or cut Williamson and release Winters. Is that accurate?

3. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

The cap is based on league revenues. So if the nfl doesn't make as much cash this year then the cap could decrease. And like you, I assume he means by cutting winters, etc. Plus all our one year deal or deals we can turn into one year.

RochesterJet likes this.
  4. MaximusD163

Yes and there is also Jonotthan Harrison, Nate Hairston, Quincy Wilson... a couple others that could add a few million if they are deemed unnecessary.

The like JRaw said, the cap is based on a percentage of the total revenue. If the teams don’t make money from the fans in stadiums, that’s a large chunk of money. If that were to happen, more than likely the league would distribute the loss over a couple of years on the cap. Either way, if there are no fans in the stadiums, it will effect the cap.

NCJetsfan and Footballgod214 like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

how accurate is that? last i seen was roughly 12 mil. 10 mil goes to rookies so 2 mil, but supposedly after june 1st we'll get some releif of tru's dead cap hit to the amount of 11-12 mil pulling us about 13-14 mil of spending power for this offseason still.

6. GasedAndConfused

i seen 60 mil for next year. less 10 mil for rookies means more like 50 mil. and we have a lot fo players on 1 year deals as well so depending how the young players step up or not we could have a lot of holes to fill. not to mention extensions for darnold and adams coming soon.

7. MaximusD163

Well it’s pretty accurate I think. If you look at the OP, there is a consistently updated, detailed breakdown. This is just a small tidbit based on the draft pick projections.

You have to remember that the cap right now is based on top 51 cap hits. When you include the ~$9.5 million for rookies, you also bump out a number of players who were in the top 51.

Also, my number includes the cap space we get from Trumaine Johnson’s June 1 designation.

8. MaximusD163

It’s way too early to really say anything about next year. We might not have much in the way of holes to fill. Not too mention free agency isn’t really the way the GM adds significant pieces anymore.

9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Significant pieces are usually extended or tagged before they reach free agency. This is why going after big names in free agency likely means landing tier 2 players. Look at Mosley. I'll call him a tier 1.5 player because he's very good, but isn't a QB, LT, or pass rusher. The fact that the Ravens didn't attempt to beat our offer shows that they had a value on him, but wouldn't go over it to keep him.

10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I kind of like these one year deals. It seems JD is pretty much giving these guys a one year tryout so to speak so next offseason he can cut bait with who he doesn’t like and possibly extend others depending on performance. He will also have more cap room .....interesting plan.

NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  11. MaximusD163

It fits into the idea of building through the draft. You just primarily just use free agents to temporarily fill holes.

NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  12. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I think its more of a one year band aid while he tries to build through the draft. I wouldn't look at it as a try out because those that play well will need to get paid and that may mean they sign with the highest bidder which may not be the Jets. The key to this or a series of 1 year contracts is replacing them with cheap draft picks that pan out.

13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Great, great work

I'd be interested in knowing if such numbers exist for the Pats or any other franchise which is generally understood as well run

Obviously, we should spend simply to meet their breakdown, but it would be interesting to see how certain teams reflect their priorities via cap numbers. As previously noted, the Ravens would be a good example; they clearly loved Mosley but also had a do not exceed number with him

I'd also be interested to see %s of starters or otherwise key players who were homegrown versus FA. I have to imagine that the % of FA is low on top teams, and that all or almost all of their stars were homegrown

14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

That may be true but if Jenkins has another solid 8 sack year or if Fant becomes the dependable and athletic RT Gase wants in his offense I can see JD resigning players like that to longer deals...

15. MaximusD163

The numbers exist for all of these teams, it just takes me a little time and effort to assemble them. I have to do all of the calculations myself. It’s easier with the Jets because, for example I know that John Franklin-Myers is an edge player because I know the Jets roster well. I would not necessarily know these details for players of his caliber for other teams without research. In two weeks we will start doing team breakdowns for every team in the league for my podcast, so I may try and do this for each team if I have time.

K'OB likes this.
  16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

that would be great -- also may be the case that some fan has done something similar for other teams

I guess my main point would be to investigate certain presumptions to see if they're myth or real. FOr example, how much do good teams invest "up front"either with money or draft position. E.g.,dO they draft and then retain them through their career, or do they churn them with subsequent picks rather than pay big $$. Cowboys invested a lot of first rounders in OL, whereas Pats less so.

What % of starters were drafted by the team? What is the average tenure of player? What is the average draft position for starters along with standard deviations to get a objective sense of how a team is actually built. Could actually break it down for example with average rank of skill positions versus line on offense. It could also include outliers of top and lowest drafted starter.

Right now it seems that on many sports sites there is a lot of argument by anecdote. Would be interesting to see how successful teams are actually built/composed versus crappy ones

And let me also add (and i know i speak for others) how appreciate i am of all the great analysis you provide

#56 chandler, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I hear you about Anderson but I have a hard time getting on any of the defensive lineman after the way we stopped the Run last year I see people ragging on Quinton Williams but I've watched tape on him & he was a big part of why we were a top run defense in the NFL last year

FJF likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Definitely. Williams did what he was asked. Now he needs to continue to expand into a pass rusher and a pocket pusher.

Anderson was meh. He was good the season before and he was banged up last year. He plays with a good motor when healthy. Hopefully he returns to form.

19. MaximusD163

Thanks, I can assemble information like that. Will just take some time.

It’s funny, I remember I think my first ever post got blasted on here so hard, I don’t even remember what it was but I probably didn’t know what I was talking about. The dude who used to have lightning as his avatar if I can remember so far back.

20. GasedAndConfused

yeah I was looking at the top 51 but if you look at all we are actually about 8 mil in the hole. not including rookies which means about 18 mil in the hole. but IIRC we are fully stacked at 90 and need to trim down to 53 before the season so that's 37 cuts at the minimum which averages around 700k (assuming it's minimum but could be higher if we cut guys like winters or williamson) frees up almost 26 million for the final roster. so -18 mil plus 26 = 8 mil and also IIRC we get to push around 11 mil from tru's dead cap to next year starting june 1st. so it seems we do have a little to play with if we wanted to sign someone or extend adams and front load a little bit to save money for future years.