The Jets’ Long Road to Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, May 16, 2018.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Yep. People for some reason can’t see this. There is no chance Darnold was slipping past 3 regardless of who owned the pick.

JetBlue likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

And what if THAT team picked Rosen (or Allen), leaving Darnold sitting there at 6. Would Macc have taken Darnold and then try and offload Cousins? The nightmare!

3. Footballgod214

I hear ya....there's SO MUCH MORE to talk about right now.

4. Footballgod214

Just like he was never slipping past #1. or #2. I see.

5. BroadwayAaron

Because the Browns and Giants were totally viewed as sellers that were asking for a reasonable return on the first and second picks...

Do you really not see a difference or are you just doing some Monday morning trolling?

6. Footballgod214

This was never about the 'likelihood', it was about what if Macc got Cousins to sign only to have Darnold fall to 6. What would he do? If you don't want to play along, then go away.

7. BroadwayAaron

It’s a hypothetical based off a long shot hypothetical. You can call it what it is: a veiled attempt at taking a dump on Mac because deep down you truly believe Darnold would have been there at 6. Then you could have either a.) shit on Mac for signing Cousins or b.) shit on Mac for passing on Darnold.

FJF likes this.
  8. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Agree. Because even if the Colts traded with the Bills and they took Allen there's no way Darnold would have lasted past the Broncos.

FJF likes this.
  9. LF911SC

Cousins would have been a short term deal. Talk was of a 3 year deal. Could trade Cousins after a year or two if Darnold was ready. Drafting Cousins replacement would make sense.

10. BroadwayAaron

Drafting a QB at 6 would have been a horrible decision if we had Cousins. You don’t go into win-now mode and then take a player at 6 that won’t see the field. Especially when there were legit difference makers available.

But none of this matters because Darnold wouldn’t have been there at 6.

FJF likes this.
  11. Footballgod214

If is was up to half the ppl on here Darnold WOULD have been there at 6 b/c they wanted Macc to take Rosen.

12. LF911SC

I think there were a lot of people who wanted Rosen because they thought Darnold would have gone first, as he should have. I wanted Rosen and said so because I thought it would be a choice between Rosen and Mayfield

Jay Bizniss and GasedAndConfused like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

exactly. nobody really paid attention to darnold because we didn't think it was possible he would fall. I remember i made a comment or post about it, asking if mac has looked into darnold enough (when it came the possibility Cleveland may pass on him) because he didn't think he would be there. then this article comes out and turns out mac has been stalking him for years but we never heard darnold to the jets

LF911SC likes this.
  14. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Finally read the article.

First off, what a feel good piece. I get we’re not supposed to get all giddy but I don’t care. Haven’t felt this good about my team in a very very very long time. Just an incredible amount of luck and Mac comes off as a good guy and Darnold sounds like someone you really want to root for.

It’s also pretty clear that had the Browns taken Darnold, we were taking Mayfield so anyone calling Mayfield a “bust”, well, he was almost our bust and the entire organization was fully behind it. I think he’s going to be a great pro and would have been happy with him but I’m much happier with Darnold, never thought in a million years he’d get past two. IMHO he’s the best QB prospect since Luck.

Finally, it appears the organization spent a ton of time scouting QBs over the past several years mentioning Bortles and Teddy and Carr and Winston and Marcus and Davis Webb and Goff.

Well, who the FUCK was scouting Hack and why does that guy still have a job? How did we draft him?

CotcheryFan likes this.
  15. LF911SC

Apparently the same scout who scouted Mayfield. ;)

GasedAndConfused and themorey like this.
  16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i had the same thought before FA, but cousins ended up signing a deal with no trade and no transition tag clauses

17. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

fwiw Browns fans are absolutely bashing the hell out of this article on twitter. It makes them really angry that the Jets didn't actually have Mayfield as their top QB.

18. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

And Golston didn't even make the clip

Though Kiper is a moron. Lageman was a good player on bad teams. He was speedy, good motor, always around the football and a good tackler. With a better supporting cast he would've had higher sack totals

JetBlue and FJF like this.
  19. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Two things.

There is no way the Jets take a QB at 6 had they signed Cousins. He would have been the long term FQB and even if he signed a 3 year deal it would have been extended and extended until he was no longer effective. He wasn’t going to be signed to be a bridge to a newly drafted FQB. He was going to be THE MAN.

Second, there is no way Cousins would have signed here unless he had an iron clad guarantee that there was no way the Jets would draft a QB at 6 (or at all).

It would have been monstrously stupid to draft a QB at 6 after spending a reported $150 million on Cousins. And he wouldn’t have allowed it.

JetBlue likes this.
  20. LF911SC

I get that's the deal he ultimately signed. But for the money and terms of what the Jet deal was reported to be, 3 years, they could still draft a QB and move on from Cousins or if all went well could trade the drafted QB