The insult of staying the failed course

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Dec 26, 2023.

1. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

The answer is...this coaching staff/FO have zero eyeball for talent. They only "hit" in the draft on obvious players. Ones you or I could pick with our eyes closed. Where they have failed immensely is QB, obviously, but nearly every other pick/FA pickup has been junk. Of course they thought they had the line and WR's all set. When you can't spot talent this is the result. Insult to injury they haven't displayed the ability to conduct basic coaching either. Why is it that every other NFL team has similar injury problems yet they can field at least competent play. That and poor coaching also manifests itself in all the damn penalties. This has to be one of the more undisciplined Jet's teams in recent history. We lead the league in penalties per game and when you have as crappy an offense as this team has you can't afford to shoot yourself in the foot: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalties-per-game

I don't know ladies and gents...Woodrow has flushed this team down the shitter and he's doubled down for next year. Put on your hip waders because the shit is going to get VERY deep.

ouchy and The_Darksider like this.
  2. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Of course, as I said we have been terrible for years, but things were trending upwards before this debacle.

ouchy likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He has failed, but I see his value as a GM also
    • 2019: DT Quinnen Williams, 3rd overall
    • 2020: OL Alijah Vera-Tucker, 14th overall
    • 2022: CB Sauce Gardner, 4th overall
    • 2022: WR Garrett Wilson, 10th overall
    • 2022: DE Jermaine Johnson II, 26th overall
    • 2022: RB Breece Hall, 36th overall
    Sorry but that success alone is better than the last GM we've had. Then you add the Darnold and Adams trades. This team has been in a much darker spot. Another bad hire gets us back there again.

Gotta get a guy that knows offense in this building (scouting, coaching) - Becton / AVT not staying healthy has been detrimental to the development of any young player.

4. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

*2019: DT Quinnen Williams, 3rd overall- Joe D didn't draft Q that was Maccagnan

I will give Joe D credit on AVT, Breece & JJ.

But if most fans were GM, they would have selected Sauce and GW in those same spots. Those weren't groundbreaking picks

ouchy likes this.
  5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Hmm not sure about the "value" part:
    • 2020: OL Alijah Vera-Tucker, 14th overall - was ranked as the thirteenth best player and was taken at 14 so again no value there - plus he is "only" a guard and we traded up to get him so actually he was poor value (2021)
    • 2022: CB Sauce Gardner, 4th overall - was ranked as the fifth best player and went 4th so again no real value there
    • 2022: WR Garrett Wilson, 10th overall - was ranked the sixth best player so to get him at 10 was slight value
    • 2022: DE Jermaine Johnson II, 26th overall - was ranked the fourteenth best player so he was value at 26 but we did trade up to get him
    • 2022: RB Breece Hall, 36th overall - was ranked the 30th best player and is a RB so no real value at 36
    So of those the only real "value" he got was Jermaine Johnson and we traded up to get him which eats into the value so while there weren't any reaches we didn't get any steals either. The Adams trade was good but Darnold got them a second rounder (and two late picks) so hardly stunning.

ouchy likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

I doubt it - Kayvon, Evan Neal, the other OTs and WR were popular selections at that time. That was an A+ draft.

7. 101GangGreen101

Darnold was a complete bust - you should be happy we got a 2nd for him. The Adams trade is one of the best in recent memory; the guy may NEVER start again at safety - can't cover for shit anymore. I'm salty the way things are right now, but on the list of reasons why we won't be in the playoffs - can't say he's the biggest reason, or even in the top 3

8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Gardner and Wilson were the two top rated players at those positions and so if they were positions he was targeted those were likely the picks and the top tackles had gone by the time we took Wilson (and the only other top ranked WR Drake London was also gone so there really wasn't anyone else at that position)

9. 101GangGreen101

IF. Let's be real here - OTs were highly considered at the top of this draft, ESPECIALLY by the fans.

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I am not unhappy we got a 2nd round pick for him but also not blown away by it - the Adams trade was great but really more a knock on the Seahawks than anything else.

I am not sure what you mean by "but on the list of reasons why we won't be in the playoffs - can't say he's the biggest reason, or even in the top 3" - who are you talking about? If it is Joe Douglas then I would say he is the #1 reason we aren't in the playoffs - his FA signings have been bad, he's never fixed the O-line, he must have signed off on the ZW draft pick, he has gone all in on Rodgers which has blown up spectacularly and been an utter disaster - whose fault is it if it isn't his (other than arguably the owner if he is dictating things)

ouchy likes this.
  11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I am not sure what you mean - I am not saying I would've picked them if I was GM (I wouldn't because CBs rarely seem to pan out for the Jets other than Revis) I am just saying they were not genius picks

12. 101GangGreen101

JD the #1 reason? He's the reason we won any games this year - the guy has made some good transactions.

1 - Injury bug
    2 - Offensive line coach
    3 - Saleh's lack of adjustments and accountability

Easily the reasons why this team is in the gutter. I am sorry, but wasn't it Saleh's idea to hire his best friend Mike LaFleur then proceeded to have 0 backup option? But its JD's job to hire all of the coaching staff too? Clear to me Saleh lacks all connections on the offensive side of the ball.

13. 101GangGreen101

GMs out-think the process - sometimes the obvious pick is the hardest to make.

You would've picked Evan Neal probably

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

No - I would have taken Ikem Ekwonu (the #1 ranked tackle) at 4 and at 10 I would've taken either Wilson or Jameson Williams (who would have been a top 5 pick if not injured)

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

He has been here for a number of years now and lets see what we have:
    - a bottom 3 offensive line
    - no quality TE on the roster (Uzomah and Conklin get paid more than all the wide receivers put together!)
    - only 1 capable WR on the roster
    - most importantly no QB to build around and just an expensive 1-2 year rental that likely won't achieve anything - botching the ZW pick and development (such as having no capable back-up options) has set this franchise back years

I don't know whose idea it was to bring in Hackett but you have to think that JD must've signed off on it as part of the Rodgers package deal

mezzavo likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

Anddd back to my initial point yet again regarding inconsistency, and injury bug. AVT being out alone took us from average to crap.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I've come to the conclusion Selah is a terrible fraud. He's more like our agent than our coach. And JD is the one who hired him.

JD sat on his ass and didn't fill the holes we had this season, including a huge one at QB. We had the first starter of the season go down and did nothing helpful for weeks, before finally signing Seiman from oblivion. He stuck with Wilson and Boyle, a guy who never should have been here. And he's done a terrible job at building an oline for 4 seasons.

This is a guy took us on an all or nothing SB push, and then drafted an edge when we had a huge holes on offense, and an expensive old QB. In fact, you could argue we went all in with a staff that didn't understand what going all in required.

Speaking of drafts, yes JD has made some great trades. He's had the most money to spend and the most top 50 picks of any GM in the league since he's been here, and all he cobbled together was a sub .500 team. Its an epic failure. Its beyond failure, its incompetent. He is a nice man but he's not insightful enough to build a great team. He's the backwater and its past time for us to move out of the backwater.

#77 ouchy, Dec 28, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
    The_Darksider likes this.
  18. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Shocking that a guy gets injured right after being moved to multiple positions he’s not used to playing, and frankly shouldn’t have been playing. He’s an all pro OG, he’s not built to be a tackle and shouldn’t have been moved.

19. 101GangGreen101

Saleh can motivate, he can coach up the defense - but his knowledge / connections on offense are putrid. He takes too long to make adjustments in terms of personnel on game-day. He's quick to bench one player (Wilson), but will easily keep another one in (Usomah). Don't discredit his reputation. Sometimes that initial hire regarding your coaching staff makes or breaks your career.

JD cleaned this roster up when Mike Maccagnan, John Idzik put us in hell. This fanbase is quick to forget.

20. 101GangGreen101

Is that on JD?