The Heresy of trading Revis.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 1968jetsfan, Nov 28, 2012.

?

What do you think Revis could bring in trade?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2013.
  1. Top 10

36.8%
  2. Top 20

34.2%
  3. Top 32

10.5%
  4. 2nd rounder

2.6%
  5. 2nd rounder with Conditional

7.9%
  6. 3rd rounder with Conditional

2.6%
  7. Other

5.3%
  1. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Trading Revis would show Jets management has finally pulled their head out of their ass & is taking winning seriously.

To evaluate a player's ability to help build a winning team, you look at his talent AND HIS SALARY. It seems that too many posters/fans just want to add up a bunch of talent & pretend salary is something that will just "fix itself". That's BS because the salaries don't just fix themselves.

Revis is a great player but you've gotta set a limit @ what you can dish out for CB. Not giving a damn about salary only applies to a franchise QB or game-changing passrushing defender. Revis does none of that. He's a just a CB.

2. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Typical Jet move is paying Revis so much money that they've got nothing left to build the rest of their team. Then they've got players who barely belong in the NFL all over their starting lineup. Kind of like what's happening right now.

If all players made the same amount of money then Revis would be one of the most valuable pieces in the entire NFL but that's not reality. You've gotta set up a cap on how much you'll spend on starting CB duo. Revis or Cro .... one of them needs to go.

The secondary right now is holding it down with Cro and Wilson starting duo. Think about that for a second. Then think if the addition of Revis is worth 15+ Million dollars.

3. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Having a shut down corner is nice, but it is a luxury in the NFL. The Jets are not able to pressure a QB so having one shut down corner still means the rest of your secondary has to be elite since your front 4 can't do anything.

It's like putting chrome rims on a Pinto...he nice looks rims on that piece of shit you have there.

4. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

^^Wilson is a major liability. Typical Jets move, now a days, is front loading money to scrubs like Holmes. Revis is a stud player, great teammate and someone still hungry for a Championship.

Find a way to dump Holmes, that doesn't kill the cap. There are plenty of people here who think Holmes is still a competitor. Convince one of the other 31 teams in the NFL that the guy is still hungry, champion. Trade for a 5th a 6th or a 7th, but it has to be agreed that they pick up the tab. This has been done b4 (see tebow).

Get it done, Holmes is a bum and he will continue to drag this team down.

5. JetsVilma28

The front four is improving fast. If we can get some quicker linebackers in coverage that still have a nose for the ball our D is just about ready to toe the line again. Just need a running game 1-2 punch to compliment Greene. (MJD). and a quarterback that isn't automatic turnover machine (somebody who can ball fake and throw a ball 40+ yds down field to wide open Kerley or Hill (Hill has to learn to catch too).

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Aside from the merits pro and con of trading Revis, I don't see it happening, since that sort of move would be seen, and rightly so, as a clear declaration that the Jets are officially in rebuilding mode, and I don't see the Jet organization taking that road.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have multiple positions dropping out on them at this point and heading into next season. QB, RB, TE, RG, LG, RT, OLBx2, ILB, S at least x1. That's a lot of slots that you need better players in to succeed.

The irony is that if Holmes is back and healthy next year WR will be one of the better manned groups on the team, despite it being a huge weakness this year in Holmes absence.

I don't think the Jets are going to have to declare they are in rebuilding mode. I think events have overtaken them on that front and it's obvious they're in rebuilding mode.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

It is possible that things will deteriorate so badly that they will have to, I mean literally have to, trade Revis.

But if they don't have to, they won't, because they will not want to say they are rebuilding.

9. Br4d

I don't think the Jets are going to have much of a choice in the Revis situation.

Rex is on thin ice. He's not a lock to get fired by any means but he's another non-playoff season away from that being a foregone conclusion.

Revis likely doesn't want to play in the unknowns of a coaching change. He is going to want to pick his spot, likely a spot where a Super Bowl is in the offing, and go play there. It's a much more predictable outcome for him, just like it was for Deion.

For the Jets to keep Revis at this point they'd have to back the armored car up at his house and start spewing cash at him until he couldn't say no.

He's going to leave town. The only question is whether or not the Jets can get something approaching fair value for him on the way out. A 3rd round compensation pick is going to look really thin compared to whatever they could have squeezed out of the market as they were insuring that Revis didn't wind up in New England or Miami or some other nasty AFC place for the next 5 years or so.

10. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

It doesn't make a lot of sense to trade Revis off of an injury, thats potentially selling low on him. Let him come back and play a full season at the very least and then make a deal if you want to next off season. It makes more sense to reload for next year then it does to rebuild. If the Jets want to seriously rebuild thats probably going to have to wait till next off season.

Sanchez is going to be facing a lot of easy teams in the upcoming weeks. His completion percentage has already rises to 55%, there is a good chance he could finish this year with the best completion percentage of his career. After these 5 games it's going to be easier for the Jets to justify bringing Sanchez back as the starter next year. Not saying I agree with it but I think that's just where we are headed at this point.

From a cap situation it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to rebuild right now. I'm just going to hope Revis can return to form, the Jets can add a couple pieces to this team in the off season (like rebuilding the line) and the Jets can take their shot again next year.

This isn't something I necessarily agree with but I think it's the most likely scenario especially if they are going to bring Rex back.

11. Br4d

There's no next off-season.

Revis is an unrestricted free agent after 2013. No tag, no franchise player, free to go.

Next season is Revis last as a Jet. Enjoy it and watch him walk for a compensation pick that will be no higher than 3rd round or trade him before game 8 next season for more than that. Or pay him more money than any Jet ever and watch the Jets continue on the sad path they're on.

Who spent a lot of money on corners over the last couple of seasons?

The Jets?

The Eagles?

The Cowboys?

See the pattern?

#91 Br4d, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  12. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

If you make a CB the highest paid player on your already untalented team... you're screwed. You will never be able to build a contender. Never.

13. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

First priority will hopefully be trying to trade Holmes for anything.

I wouldn't support trading Revis to any AFC team.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The way I see it the Jets have 3 options with Revis.

1) Let him play out 2013 under the current contract and if they decide they want to keep him pay out the ass later in the season or lose him to FA. Obviously losing him to FA means he can pick his own team.

2) Attempt to re-sign him in the 2012 offseason to an expensive, but slightly discounted due to injury, long term deal. They would likely have to trade Cromartie in this scenario.

3) Trade him in the 2012 offseason for multiple high picks.

Even though this was a severe injury I think there is a relatively low risk involved in signing him long term. His game was never based on speed, it's based more on athleticism, being physical, hard work and film study.

It seems to me that the smart move is to go with options 2 or 3. A good argument could be made for either.

15. JetsVilma28

I am 100% on this :up:

I just don't see the work ethic in Holmes that I see in Revis. Revis wants a Championship and he plays all out on every down. Holmes, ego, taking off plays, pouting, throwing the football to the other team, poor leadership and just sense of entitlement have no place on this team.

We need guys that are going to earn their keep. I don't see Holmes laying it on the line on every snap. There are 31 teams out there that could be interested. I think Holmes blows. He is a has been; that carries an attitude that is detrimental to a young football team. Especially, detrimental to a soft qb (not tough commanding Roethlisburger) and young corps of wide receivers.

The trick is convincing another team that Holmes is a baller through and through and having them pick up the bill. Around here it seems many fans are still convinced that Holmes is a good teammate and above average receiver; so that's a good sign it can be done. The added bonus is if you can package Tebow or Sanchez into the deal.

Rebuild on the ground. Greene as the #2, pounder; and we need a feature back (mjd). Finally, shore up the line, find a qb that isn't a turnover machine, can lead a huddle and is money at selling the fake.

#95 JetsVilma28, Nov 30, 2012
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I would trade him for that deal for two reasons:

1. He may never be the same again after his injury. Even a half step slower makes him just another good CB.

2. If he is still thought of as "the best" when he returns he will eat up too much cap space on a team that needs rebuilding. We cant afford a super massive contract for one CB in 2014.

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Yea the secondary looked great against Brady on thanksgiving we got torched multiple times

18. LongIslandBlitz

I would resign Revis midseason 2013, First see if he returns to form then go from there, If we let him become a free agent I don't see him coming back.He has said he want's to be a Jet for life but another team gives him a crazy deal and he will jump on it like everyone else.Cromarite is good but he isn't Revis. I can't wait to see Cro,Revis and Landry together for a full season assuming we bring Landry back. In a passing league with amazing QB's all over the place Revis is a must have player. I don't know about you guys but I like having "The Best" player at his position in the NFL on our team,when have we ever had that.And without Revis I don't think we go to back to back AFC title games it wouldn't of happened without him

#98 LongIslandBlitz, Nov 30, 2012
  19. LongIslandBlitz

No i don't see the pattern, The two back to back title games were alot sooner then the last time the eagles and the cowboys did anything in the playoffs.Its been over a decade since either team made anykind of noise in the playoffs. We almost played in back to back Superbowls just a year n a half ago. And without Revis there's no way we get to those two title games.Blaming the problems with the Jets on Revis contract is ridiculous , Over paid guys like Pace,Scott,Holmes and guys like that are where the pitfall is

#99 LongIslandBlitz, Nov 30, 2012
  20. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

This is part of the problem. Let's go out and get the best nickel CB in the NFL and pay him $15 million. Then we can get the absolute best long snapper in the game and pay him $15 million as well. Oh, and let's get the best FG holder in the NFL and pay him $15 million. Afterall, it feels great to have the best player at his position as a Jet.

That would work out great if this was baseball where there is no salary cap. Unfortunately, this is the NFL which has a salary cap.